Default How is Couples Swept Away Scuba?

My wife and I are 'once every 2 year' divers and will go to CSA in July.

I wondered how the diving is there vs. St. Lucia, Cayman, or Sandals Antigua. (visibility, fish, temp. of water, experience, etc.)??? This is a big trip for us (20th anniversary)
    and all the reviews point to CSA!

Thanks!

The only thing I have to compare it to is North Carolina Wreck diving but I love diving in Jamaica. We made 10 dives in April 2010 and on the last dive two dolphins came up and swam with us, went up for air and came back for more. They left and then came back for a third time - we were thrilled

Of the 3 places you mention, we've only dove one of those, but we've been diving to a lot of other places. The Cayman's rank pretty high. The diving there is very good, so you can't compare with Jamaica. The main problem with diving in Jamaica is that it is severely over fished, so you won't see a lot of fish, particularly the large ones you can get accumstomed to in the Caymans. So you go hoping to see the "treats", like dolphins or a nurse shark, or a stingray or turtle here or there. We just came back from diving at CSS and saw a nice big octopus on a wreck. The best part of diving in Jamaica through Couples is the staff, the ease of the experience and the the warm clear water (unless the weather is bad, in which case the viz. may deteriorate) We just take it for what it is and realize that it's not a dive vacation. In fact, I'm kinda glad it isn't fantastic diving or we'd want to be out all the time and would miss out on all that relaxing beach time and such
    Congrats on your anniversary! You'll have an amazing time at CSA!!

Having gone diving with the crew at CSA 3 years now I can say it is very enjoyable. Divemaster-Instructor Anthony Morris is the best! He has his guys always at the ready. The crew is fun and you always feel safe and attended to. The vis is not as good as say Caymans or Cozumel but still 80-90 feet. The lots of brown coral until you get into the swim throughs and overhangs. Bring a light to see beautiful colorization. Make sure you get to go to the "Shallow Plane" site. many times there are dolphins that come up and say Hi. When you are there tell them all Hi for me...(Jeff from Illinois) Enjoy!

I can't compare it to any of those places but I have heard that the reefs in Jamaica have been damaged by fisherman and people in general so it probably isn't the best. We see plenty of fish and other things but I don't know how many you would see elsewhere. What I can tell you is that the water is warm and unless there is some sort of storm system in the area, it is incredibly clear. The staff is amazing too. Anthony, Jelani, Franz, Panda and Shaggy are wonderful. Of course they are very helpful and will take care of you but they are also great guys to talk to. They are really interesting people and very funny. I think you are making a wonderful choice. CSA is our favorite too and we have gone back a few times. We spend most of our time in the water either diving, snorkeling or just swimming.

After going to CSS in 2006, CSA and CN twice, I finally got certified with Sugar at CN. Dive team at CN is awesome. Was also thinking about going back to CSA. Concerns are whether I can dive everyday at CSA. CN is a smaller resort - 100 rooms less - and I don't want to not be able to dive because they are full everyday. Can anyone answer whether they has any problems going out to dive at CSA?
    Visability is great in Jamaica. Don't see the big schools of fish you see in Mexico/Cozumel but did see nurse sharks, dolphins, more lobsters and starfish. Heard from others at CN that Jamaica is an easy dive. Wife is now certified - she is 50 - and would like to take her to calmer waters than we encountered in Mexico last momth.

Steveandmarita, Go to the dive shack the day you get there and inquire/ sign up for the next day. Most likely there will be an opening. I just tell them I'll be there each day I can and they are ready for me. You shouldnt have a problem being able to dive, weather permitting of course. Enjoy! Tell Anthony and the othes Hi for me.

Quote Originally Posted by steveandmarita View Post
    After going to CSS in 2006, CSA and CN twice, I finally got certified with Sugar at CN. Dive team at CN is awesome. Was also thinking about going back to CSA. Concerns are whether I can dive everyday at CSA. CN is a smaller resort - 100 rooms less - and I don't want to not be able to dive because they are full everyday. Can anyone answer whether they has any problems going out to dive at CSA?
    Visability is great in Jamaica. Don't see the big schools of fish you see in Mexico/Cozumel but did see nurse sharks, dolphins, more lobsters and starfish. Heard from others at CN that Jamaica is an easy dive. Wife is now certified - she is 50 - and would like to take her to calmer waters than we encountered in Mexico last momth.
    We were there when the resort was almost at capacity and we dove every day except one when we chose not to dive due to a storm. Of course they ended up seeing a nurse shark that day! We dove two times a few days too. At the time the normal dive boat was out for repair due to the hurricane that had just come through the week before so we had no room for extra tanks. We came back to get more tanks and then went out again. Normally they do a regular two tank dive. I am not sure if the boats are back yet or not. This was in Oct. Service is a little slower there than here plus there were many, many boats damaged from all of the resorts and all the parts needed would have to be ordered from somewhere else so that slows it down too. They said it would be a few months but I have not seen a status update on that yet.