Default Gym Cardio Equipment at CSA???

My husband and I will be at CSA this April. We both enjoy using cardio equipment at the gym (elliptical/treadmill) - however we don't want to pack all the extra clothes/sneakers, etc. if there is no cardio equipment. Has anyone used cardio equipment at CSA and can you comment? Are there ellipticals/treadmills? Thanks!!!

There are treadmills, elliptical machines, steppers, and stationary bikes. To get an idea of the gym's layout, click on the tab for CSA above, then select the maps & panoramic views. From there, click on the fitness center.

While the squash/racquetball courts and the studio are air-conditioned facilities, the gym with the cardio equipment and weight machines is an open air facility. We preferred to work out in the mornings at CSA b/c it was just too hot for us in the afternoon.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We work out every day, too, on vacation. We were just at CSA a few weeks ago. They had: 6 treadmills, 4 elipticals, 2 bikes, and 1 stepper. The elipticals were in pretty good shape, although I'm not a huge Cybex fan. There is a lovely jogging trail, too. I know what you mean about bringing all those extra workout clothes. This year, I decided to bring half as many workout clothes and take advantage of the laundry service. I am so glad that I did this! It really cut back on what we had to pack, and the service was very quick and relatively cheap (roughly $3/item).

Good idea on using the laundry service for work out clothing. I will keep that in mind. I also agree on morning workouts. I go before breakfast, just after sunrise, while mrs. dirtleg sleeps in. We have friends that go in the afternoon, just before sundown. But I think it is too hot and I am usually ready to shower and cool off by then after a day on the beach. The equipment is 'good', not world class but very functional. Be aware, if you lift weights the humidity causes a bit of rust on the bars and dumb bells. It will rub off on your hands, or gloves if you wear them, and I always get some on my shirt or shorts as well. If you are a runner, try running the beach barefoot in the morning. It is great!

Another early morning exerciser here. I hit the gym while hubby gets his beauty sleep then wake him when room service arrives with our coffee!

dirtleg, so true about the rust and I pack my rattiest set of gloves for this reason.

I like to go over for a steam and sauna in the afternoons and also a yoga class if there is one offered.

Caviargal, how does using the steam room/sauna work at CSA? Do you have to sign in at the spa? My husband and I were there three years ago, and I never looked for these inclusions. Are they newer? We go back this April Can't wait to check it all out (again!)...

Quote Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
    Another early morning exerciser here. I hit the gym while hubby gets his beauty sleep then wake him when room service arrives with our coffee!

dirtleg, so true about the rust and I pack my rattiest set of gloves for this reason.

I like to go over for a steam and sauna in the afternoons and also a yoga class if there is one offered.

A steam or Sauna??? Where is this located??? In the workout area?

It's in the sports complex and I have never had to sign for it. I am usually the only one there!

"Couples Swept Away’s sparkling 10-acre sports and fitness complex includes a fully equipped gym with Cybex fitness equipment, an aerobics room with a flexible floor, a 25-meter lap pool and an outdoor jogging track. Fitness classes such as body sculpting, aerobics and yoga are also available, as are individual fitness programs that include professional instruction. And when you’re finished with your workout, you can relax in our steam rooms and saunas. "

If it hasn't changed since '08, there is a sauna room in the locker room. You just go in, sit down and pour some water over the rocks. From what I recall, it's pretty small, but I was in there with another person and it wasn't too close for comfort or anything.

My wife, dietitian and personal trainer claims that CSA has the best facilities of any other resort/hotel we have visited anywhere.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

i agree bluewater!!! As a fitness instructor it is awesome.....workout in the mornings! as you get deeper into the summer months the heat and cocktails will play a large role in hydration! You are beat by afternoon and all you will want to do when the daily rain comes is to take a nap

I bring a little woollite in a plastic bottle and wash my running shorts and sports bras and hang them in the bathroom so I only bring 3 of each. Don't want to fill up the suitcase with unnecessary stuff.

We also workout every day/morning and we LOVE LOVE LOVE the gym at CSA. I'm also a Group Fitness/Spin/Yoga instructor (parttime). and I've never seen a fitness facility like CSA's except at designated "SPA" resorts.

We run on the beach, too. (Not barefoot. I'm not that hard core.)

The steamroom is in the locker room, and it's fantastic as well. I love steaming. There is also a lap pool, which is impeccably maintained.

I will be coming to CSA from Feb 13 thru Feb 20 of 2011. Will there be spinning classes offered at the fitness studio as last year? I hope so.

". I've been a personal trainer for 20 years & been coming to Jamaica since the mid '90's, CSA's gym is by far the best one in Negril. Definatly bring sneaks!
    Last edited by Sonofthebeach; January 23rd, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMoran View Post
    My husband and I will be at CSA this April. We both enjoy using cardio equipment at the gym (elliptical/treadmill) - however we don't want to pack all the extra clothes/sneakers, etc. if there is no cardio equipment. Has anyone used cardio equipment at CSA and can you comment? Are there ellipticals/treadmills? Thanks!!!

I'm do apologize, I misread your post, must've had a senior moment, lol..Yes, they have treads, elipticals as well as basketball, tennis squash & raquetball courts along with a fully equiped gym, machines & freeweights..so yes by all means bring your sneakers, lol..

Hi Muffin -

We were at CSA over Thanksgiving. We both love spinning, and I was really looking forward to class - but we never ended up doing it, as the classes were (I think) at around 9:30AM and 5:30PM. We generally do our workout early early, so this didn't fit in with our schedule. I took a quick peek at the bikes, and they looked decent. I also took a look at the spin instructor, and seriously - he looked like he could give a real a#@ kickin' workout! I wish the classes were a little earlier in the day....Would be interested in anyone's feedback who did do the spin class - there's always next year!!