Thread: CN Review

Default CN Review

I just returned from CN. The weather was great, a little rain one night but that did not last long. The service was unbeatable; the food was of course great with a lot of choices. BUT I do want to point out, I did see at least on three occasion’s people tipping the employees. It was all done very discretely, but regardless this should NOT be happening. No tipping means NO tipping people.

According to Randymon anyone violating the no tipping policy would be asked to leave the hotel without any refund. Any Cou8ples employee caught accepting a tip will have there employment terminated.
    Sorry to say but tipping does exist
    The only tipping accepted and permitted is for non Couples empoyees (drivers from the airport and on the free excursions,baggage handlers at the airport and SPA employees

WOW.....I find it amazing that an actual employee of any Couples would accept a few dollar tip. The penalty is not worth it.

When we were there we assumed, like all of the other AI's where the tips were "included", we could still tip if we wanted. EACH AND EVERY employee refused with a smile. They then explained they loved working at Couples, they were treated fairly and no tip was needed or expected.

I would hate to see a few guests or employees erode the status of this FIRM no tipping policy. Our group enjoys tipping for good service and honestly felt awkward not doing so. However, I completely understand the need to enforce this across the board. I would HATE to see anyone be penalized for breaking this rule but IF this in fact is happening it needs to be dealt with.

Regards
    Jeanette

I agree with Fluffin, if tipping is indeed taking place it needs to be dealt with quickly and firmly. We stayed at CSA in October and I never saw any evidence of tipping on our stay but I guess I wasn't watching. October was our 15th trip to Jamaica but our first to a Couples, the prior 14 trips were at the same resort. This other resort was also all-inclusive, "no tipping" but tipping did take place, tips were accepted on a room ticket you could fill out which named the employee and charged it to your room (like a credit card receipt) but supposedly no cash tipping. I can tell you that this type of situation is a nightmare. If you aren't one of those guests tipping you will not get good service, I mean it will be horrible. Start slipping a few bills to them and suddenly they notice you and you get served a whole lot quicker. We certainly don't want Couples to become this type of place. Part of our absolute ecstasy that week was the service we received at CSA.

I saw regular tipping at CTI in Feb of 10 and I actually tipped a few wonderful employees (I was a newbie who booked on Orbitz and assumed Couples was like Mexico where tips included did not really mean tips included) I do not do the orientation as I feel that half the adventure is exploring on your own. Each employee that I tipped accepted the tip. I did not discover this board until I returned home so I did not know any better. I feel that many people who book from the sites like Orbitz or Expedia do not fully understand the no tipping policy and it should be stressed more at check in. Jen and I arrive at CN on Feb 4 and we will be honoring the no tipping policy this time now that we know better. We are very much looking forward to getting out of this freezer that they call Iowa!!

I hope that the no tipping policy continues to be enforced. It's one of the nice things to not have to carry money and not worry about whether you will be treated "less" if you don't tip. I'm sure Couples will deal with the sitution.

Out of two trips I have only seen one tip given. We were at CSS in December, 2010 and saw one person slip an employee a tip. One of the main reasons we like Couples is the no tipping policy. I hope it never changes.

well i'm glad i have been reading thses mess. boards i have learned so much,this is our first trip to CN on the 6th feb.we will follow the no tipping policy but was wondering does anyone leave other things for the maid?it will be different going to a place where you dont tip for great service as were so used to it here and on other vacations...

Keep this in mind folks...while some employees WILL take and keep the tip, I know at CSS those who receive their tips turn it in at the front office and it goes to the local children's schools/charities that Couples supports. That being said, why be a jackass and put the employees in that situation?????? Your five or ten bucks is not worth their job! If you want to reward the employee, put their name on the comment card!
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

Default Maid Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by just4me View Post
    well i'm glad i have been reading thses mess. boards i have learned so much,this is our first trip to CN on the 6th feb.we will follow the no tipping policy but was wondering does anyone leave other things for the maid?it will be different going to a place where you dont tip for great service as were so used to it here and on other vacations...

No, not a new game.....We leave chocolates, makeup, and little things like that....Chocolate, as I understand, is quite expensive...We're leaving on 2-12, might see you! I'll be on the beach....