Default CN Beginner Dive Question

We'll be at CN in April this year and I'm thinking about trying the beginner dive. I was wondering, does this require passing a swimming test?

Also, does it involve both training in the pool and an ocean dive? How much time would be involved with the whole thing? Any info. would be appreciated.

Hi 2-4-Jamaica;
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-4-Jamaica View Post
    We'll be at CN in April this year and I'm thinking about trying the beginner dive. I was wondering, does this require passing a swimming test?

Yes you need to swim 2 lengths of the dive pool about 40 feet, and look comfortable.

Also, does it involve both training in the pool and an ocean dive? How much time would be involved with the whole thing? Any info. would be appreciated.
    You will receive training in the pool plus poolside education on safety and technique.
    The training is about an hr-1.5 and its followed with a shallow dive.

Takes about an entire morning, 8:30-11:30. When i went I was the only student and it took less time.

good luck

PV

Hi
    The course only takes a morning and is free, so very well worthwhile doing. They will go through some theory followed by some pool practice / tests.
    If you feel comfortable they will then take you out for your first real ocean dive (only in about 30 feet of water).
    Two years ago my lady signed up for it with Sugar (Karl) after having a few alcoholic drinks at lunchtime.
    I laughed because she had always said scuba was too scary, but she had a fantastic time and now has 70 dives in her dive logbook.
    SCUBA is great fun.
    Ian and Vanda

Default San Souci

When Amber and I were at San Souci in August, I did the discover SCUBA dive. We filled out forms, watched a video and went into the pool for some drills (mask clearing, losing regulator, etc.). It was my third discovery dive over the years, but the one at San Souci caused me to sign up for an open water class when I got home to Tampa Bay. I got my certification on 10/3 and am looking forward to doing certified dives when we are back in March.

A great experience, you'll love it.

Default Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by Ian and Vanda View Post
    Hi
    The course only takes a morning and is free, so very well worthwhile doing. They will go through some theory followed by some pool practice / tests.
    If you feel comfortable they will then take you out for your first real ocean dive (only in about 30 feet of water).
    Two years ago my lady signed up for it with Sugar (Karl) after having a few alcoholic drinks at lunchtime.
    I laughed because she had always said scuba was too scary, but she had a fantastic time and now has 70 dives in her dive logbook.
    SCUBA is great fun.
    Ian and Vanda
    I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but diving while under the influence is not a good idea at all. One of the first rules I learned while getting certified was no alcohol 12 hours before a dive. The problem is that with increasing pressure, you just don't know how your body will react.

Just trying to keep everyone's vacation safe!

Moebius--I'm with you. I've always respected the inherent dangers of the sport and don't try to compound them with any behaviors of my own and trust that the others in my group have the same respect. The rules are the rules and I guess I'm stupid enough to assume that folks who take on a sport like diving are following those rules. When diving as a group we are subjecting each other to risks, don't mess with my safety!

Default Moebius Read it Again

Moebius - I agree with what you said about diving under the influence, but the way I read the post is the decision was made to do it after a few drinks at lunchtime. The training and dive would have occurred the next morning.

I don't think for one minute the lady actually dived while under the influence. If you read what her husband wrote he said she signed up after lunch (some dutch courage to get her to sign up). All beginner classes at all resorts start in the morning.

Moebius
    Very sensible comment about not drinking alcohol before diving. Vanda signed up for the next course, which was not until the following day (they only ran them in the mornings at CN).
    Ian and Vanda

The swim test is very easy and they don't time you or anything. It isn't very consistent though. We had to do 6 "laps" which was actually 6 lengths of the pool or 3 real laps but some had to do 8 lengths and some said they did less.

Great advice about drinking and diving kinda like drinking and driving......thanks.

Yes there is a pool test. Sugar has you swim the length of the pool a couple times is all. Thats after a pool side class on SCUBA signs, breathing, and other techniques. You then put on the tank and get used to the water. Sugar is very patient and the best instructor ever he really wants everyone to have a great experience. If you get out in the ocean and don't feel comfortable just hang out on the boat,I actually got seasick under water once (one of my finer moments) lol and hung out on the boat while the rest of the "class" finished their dive.