Default Jamaica Time Zone

We'll be returning to CN on April 6 for our 4th visit. Can someone tell me what Time Zone Negril is in? We are in central but I think I read that they're in the Eastern Time Zone and so will be one hour ahead of our watch? Not that we watch the time while there-but my husband does dive and needs to be on time for that. Thanks!

Eastern, but no Daylight Savings.

Jamaica is on Eastern Standard Time, and is on standard time year-round (as are most tropical countries).

By April, the US will be on Daylight Savings Time, so that Jamaica time (i.e., EST) will be the equivalent of the US Central Daylight Time.

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by prs145 View Post
    We'll be returning to CN on April 6 for our 4th visit. Can someone tell me what Time Zone Negril is in? We are in central but I think I read that they're in the Eastern Time Zone and so will be one hour ahead of our watch? Not that we watch the time while there-but my husband does dive and needs to be on time for that. Thanks!
    I think by then the "spring forward" will have gone in effect here in much of the U.S. If so then Jamaica will actually be one hour earlier than EST (ie, 10:00 in NY will be 9:00 in Jamaica). They don't change their clocks.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Yes, they are Eastern time.
    They do not use daylight savings time.
    Since they don't "spring forward", it will be the same time there as you are at home.

I think Jamaica is on Eastern Standard Time, except during daylight savings time when they're an hour behind because they don't change the clocks. So right now they're on eastern, but come next month they'll be an hour behind.

Jamaica is in the Eastern Time Zone so they are one hour ahead of Central right now. They do not observe Daylight Savings Time (DST) so will be on Central Time when DST occurs (March 14th). So you won't have to adjust your watch when you head to CN in April.

Enjoy the diving!

Bart & Bug

Jamaica is Eastern Standard Time but they do not observe daylight savings time so after March 14th Jamaica will be the same as Central Time until we change the clocks again in the fall.

Yes, Jamaica is in the Eastern time zone but do not enact any daylight savings time adjustments. So, whether or not they are an hour ahead of Central time depends on when you go. If you are on Central DAYLIGHT SAVINGS time, Jamaica will be on the same clock. Jamaica is only one hour ahead of the Central time zone if the Central zone is on STANDARD time. Does that make sense?
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Jamaica does not observe Daylight Savings. So currently, they are on the same time schedule as the Eastern Time Zone. But when we "Spring forward" they will stay the same, at which time they will be the same as our Central Time Zone.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

It depends upon the time of year. Jamaica doesn't turn its clock forward and back like we do in the U.S. Right now, Jamaica's time is consistent with the eastern time zone. When we move our clocks forward, Jamaica's time will be consistent with the central time zone.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Its Eastern...yes Central is one hour behind Negril. Enjoy!
    Last edited by sopranomel; March 5th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.

Eastern but they don't switch for Daylight Savings time.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

We are in the central time zone also...Houston area....and I wouldn't swear to it, but I think Jamaica does not observe daylight savings time. Right now, they are the same as eastern time, but I think when we set our clocks ahead in the near future, they will stay the same which will put them on the same time as the central time zone.
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Yes, I did read that they don't change the clocks so in April it will be equivalent to central time

I am so glad that I saw this discussion, I was going crazy trying to figure out my flight information as it was not making sense with Jamaica being 1 hour ahead.

Looks like daylight savings time is on 3/14, and we leave for jamaica on 3/18.
    I wasn't understanding how we can leave STL at 3pm and arrive 6:35pm to Jamaica, when it is a 3 1/2 hr flight from STL to Jamaica! Turns out at that time they are actually on our Central time

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

You guys can really tell a good story about eastern time, central time and day light savings time being aligned with moon and stars. I like to look at the clock when I get to my favorite vacation spot in the world (CTI), and match my watch to that. I know its not nearly as scientific or romantic, but, it works for me. Also, Jamaican time isn't always the same time as the clock says it is, if you get my drift.
    Have fun.