Default Question about diving at San Souci

I am a certified diver returning to San Souci 3/5 - 3/12. I know diving and all gear is included, but I would prefer to bring my own gear. Is it OK to bring my own gear?
    Last edited by Moebius; January 24th, 2011 at 09:16 AM.

We went to CSA in November, and actually most people brought their own gear, including us. I am very certain that you can bring your own gear.

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Mendy View Post
    We went to CSA in November, and actually most people brought their own gear, including us. I am very certain that you can bring your own gear.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I have 6 dives on my new gear and I'm still getting used to it and working out the kinks.

We were at San Souci in August 09 & 10 and both times they stored our gear for us in the dive hut - which was great because we were staying up in the cliffs and it would be quite a walk every day with gear.

Amy

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by AAS View Post
    We were at San Souci in August 09 & 10 and both times they stored our gear for us in the dive hut - which was great because we were staying up in the cliffs and it would be quite a walk every day with gear.
    We will be staying on the cliffs as well, so this is a great option if I want to do it. I am the paranoid type, especially about my new gear, so I'm glad I have a gear bag that is like a backpack in case I want to lug it back up to our room every day.

Thanks for the info!

Default Nitrox?

I am assuming that the dive shop there only does air (21%). Is this true? I have been diving Nitrox (32% - 36%) ever since I got certified and feel less fatigued and for some reason less dry mouthed afterward (can't explain it). I also love the longer down times and shorter SITs. Would love to continue diving Nitrox there if they offer it.

Likewise, we brought some of our gear and they stored it. It would have been a drag to haul it up and down between G block and the beach every day!

We brought mask, snorkel, fins, wet suits and regs, but not our BCDs. We figured they are just too bulky and it allowed us one dive bag instead of 2. The BCDs thsy have were just fine, in case you decide to do the same.

We too brought our own gear, but next time we will only bring our own masks and fins and wrist mount computer. My wife may not bring that much, she liked their masks better than her own.

Default New Gear

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicamecrazy View Post
    Likewise, we brought some of our gear and they stored it. It would have been a drag to haul it up and down between G block and the beach every day!

We brought mask, snorkel, fins, wet suits and regs, but not our BCDs. We figured they are just too bulky and it allowed us one dive bag instead of 2. The BCDs thsy have were just fine, in case you decide to do the same.
    If I hadn't just got all new gear, I would consider not bringing everything, but I need more practice dives in it. I had been renting BCs from the shop I got certified at for a while which has the standard "life jacket" inflation system. My new BC is a back-inflate and I am still getting used to getting in position to dump air. Thanks for the great suggestions. With all this information I feel a lot more comfortable with knowing what to expect.

Is there a place to soak gear in fresh water at CSS? Just wondering since if there's not, I'd have to bring it back to the rook to rinse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    I am assuming that the dive shop there only does air (21%). Is this true? I have been diving Nitrox (32% - 36%) ever since I got certified and feel less fatigued and for some reason less dry mouthed afterward (can't explain it). I also love the longer down times and shorter SITs. Would love to continue diving Nitrox there if they offer it.
    Sorry just air...

Amy

Default No Problem Mon

Sorry just air...
    That's what I figured. Now that I have a computer, it's not a big deal.

how is the diving there compared to CSA or CN?

Default Limited Experience

Quote Originally Posted by chefcg1 View Post
    how is the diving there compared to CSA or CN?
    When Amber and I were at CSS in August, I did the Discovery Dive. They took us to a reef offshore from the Au Naturel beach. It was pretty cool for only being about 30 ft. for about 20 or so minutes.

I can't wait to get back in March as a certified diver and see other places!

Chris

Behind the dive shack they have a fresh water hose and basin to rinse stuff out in.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Behind the dive shack they have a fresh water hose and basin to rinse stuff out in.
    More great information. Thanks!