Thread: Scuba dive

Default Scuba dive

Planning on going to CTI and want to do some open water diving.
    I got certified 17 years ago. I imagine I need to do a refresher course.

Is the course offered at the resort? How much? How long does it take?
    I dont want to have my vacation time spent in class more than with my wife and the activities.

Just got back - I had certified 4 years ago and for $50 they put me through a 45 minute refresher in the pool. Can be scheduled next day.

Clarification - we were at CSA....see you are at STI.

You should be able to just do the resort course as a refresher, it is about an hour of videos and then a bit of pool exercises, then a one tank dive, should be maybe 3hrs total, some places do the video/pool work in the am, break for lunch then go out for the afternoon dive.
    I think they everyone gets one of these free, so take your wife with you! If she is not certified each additional dive is $50, for you it is free!!

Best bet is to go to a Scuba shop at HOME. Take their refresher course and have them stamp your log book. Now you are set to dive the first day. Be sure to fill out the medical release form at home also. You may need to get your Dr.sign off. They will get you for an extra $75 if you need a Jamaican Dr. I faxed mine to my Dr. and he sent it back the next day.

Default Medical Release?

Quote Originally Posted by GERRYA View Post
    Best bet is to go to a Scuba shop at HOME. Take their refresher course and have them stamp your log book. Now you are set to dive the first day. Be sure to fill out the medical release form at home also. You may need to get your Dr.sign off. They will get you for an extra $75 if you need a Jamaican Dr. I faxed mine to my Dr. and he sent it back the next day.
    Does everyone need a medical release with a doctor sign off to dive? I took the discovery dive in August and before I did it, I filled out the standard "do you have this and that illness", but didn't need a doctor to sign off.

I agree with GERRYA, take a refresher course at a scuba shop at home, assuming you have one nearby. Our scuba shop charges the same price, actually I think about $5 cheaper but that isn't a big deal really. The real advantage is you have the course done before you get to Jamaica and you can enjoy some real diving instead of wasting time on refreshing. A refresher course is a little bit of instruction and some pool time so it's not something I want to waste time on when I'm on my vacation, rather be diving.

Moebius--here is a link to the form. If you look at it you'll see the section that describes who needs a doctors release.

http://couples.com/images/new/Scuba-...stionnaire.pdf