Thread: Csa room advice

Default Csa room advice

We are getting ready to book our fall trip to Jamaica.

We have been to CN 3 times and CSS 1 time and want to try CSA this time. We stayed at a lot of other jamaican resorts before finding Couples and now we are hooked on Couples.

My question is about the rooms.

I originally thought about booking GHVS but my travel agent suggested not staying there.

I liked the looks of the Atrium suites but I must have a TV to watch while the wife attends to her beautification project every evening before dinner and I watch the news at night.

We do not spend that much time in our rooms because we love the grounds and like to stay busy

We like a nice balcony w/ furniture so we can sit there in the morning w/ breafast but do not need a jacuzzi because we have one at home and I do not have to be beach front because we have a condo at the beach.

We want to be in the center of the resort but not near the road because we had a room at Hedo once that was near the road and the constant honking drove us crazy at night.

We are considering Garden Verandah or Ocean Verandah. One poster stayed in a Atrium for 7 nights and an Ocean Verandah afterwards and she felt like a downgrade in the Ocean Verandah.

Can CSA vets that have stayed in Garden Verandah and Ocean Verandah give me their opinion?

Default Garden Verandah and us

We stayed in Bldg 6 room 2203 GVS the 1st night (Jan 15, 2011). First, not a suite. Just a basic hotel room and bath. And right next to the busiest highway in Negril. You could throw a stone from the balcony and hit a passing car, you are that close...and the traffic is LOUD. Cars roaring by at 50 mph all day and night long. I even wore Mack's pillow soft earplugs. No help at all.
    The room was shockingly old, spartan, and in dire need of refurbishing. We expected more on the luxury side for $760 USD a day. We spent 10 days at the Spa Palace in Mexico for less and had a real suite: breakfast nook, new furniture, an en-suite Jacuzzi, shower with steam room, fluffy bathrobes and slippers, Bulgari toiletries, Godiva chocolates, etc.
    After listening to roaring traffic for hours, we finally got to sleep at around 2 am. Then jarred out of sleep at 5 am by the morning traffic and blasting car stereo systems. No way could we deal with this for a week.
    Remaining week: We got our room changed the next morning. Thank goodness we did too. The hotel was booked solid and we couldn't upgrade even if we wanted to. Only one room left, so we switched to building 47, room 405. Again, old, spartan garden verandah, laid out a little differently, but thank God, much quieter. It's next to the Palms restaurant, but we didn't hear anything from it. But the mattress was as old as the hotel (25 years). Old, sagging, two ruts where hundreds of guests slept. Even I got a back-ache…and I can sleep on anything. My advice, get ANY another type of room. All garden verandah suites face the highway (except Bldg 47). Good luck.

The GVS are right next to the road so you might not like that. They span the length of the resort and are the closest to the road of all the rooms. They have added glass to the windows of the older GVS so they are quieter now. We like the Atriums the best but there is no tv. If you can compromise on that I think those would be the perfect rooms for you. The OVS is probably the best option for you that has a tv as it meats all the rest of the qualifications. I will agree that it does seem like a downgrade from the Atrium though.

I haven't stayed in either room, but have stayed in an Atrium and beachfront verandah. Based on your 2 options I would choose the Ocean Verandah, for the proximity to the beach and more quiet than the other option. I personally enjoyed the beachfront verandah suite, the Atrium not my favorite, I did miss the tV, and I am not a big tV fan to start with, but it did rain quite a bit the week we visited.

Everybody is different. I've stayed in 2 gvs and never had a problem with road noise
    The door to enter and the bathroom window "face" the road. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't hesitate to book a guvs. As far as I know, the verandahs don't face the road. To be safe book the ovs

I would forego the TV and book the Atrium Suite. They are so romantic!!! :O) Bring a book to read while your wife gets ready and relax on the balcony.

If you really need a TV, then I would say either are fine. I have had many friends that stayed in GVS, and they all loved them. The Verandahs do not face the road! The front door to the suite is on the road side. So, if you were sitting on your verandah, you would not be facing the road.

I'd also like to say that ladyg may have different travel requirements than some of us, and that's okay. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't want CSA being portrayed as having these horrible run down rooms when that's just not the case. Here is part of her review from TA, and you can see for yourself maybe why she was dissatisfied with her room.

"We expected more on the luxury side for $5,000 USD per week. Granted, a bit is for airfare, but we spent 10 days at the Spa Palace in Mexico for less and had a real suite: breakfast nook, new furniture, an en-suite Jacuzzi, shower with steam room, fluffy bathrobes and slippers, Bulgari toiletries, Godiva chocolates, etc."

Again, I'm not trying to be mean at all. I have friends who like more luxurious travel too. There isn't anything wrong with that, but like I said on TA, I'm not sure you would have been happy with any room at CSA. The people who love CSA are looking for just the opposite of this kind of travel. :O)

Go for the OVS. The verandah is the best and has a built in sofa and a table and chair. My husband took naps out there every day. Ask to be in one of the rooms by the hot tub in the middle of the resort. You will be more centrally located that way. I think we were in 3316 and we loved our room. You really are going to like CSA. It's like a small village and is so romantic at night. So many food and bar choices and the beach is the best I have ever seen. Enjoy!

The rooms you are describing are the Ocean Verandah Suites. They are in the middle of the resort with a good view and very quiet, they have a couch and chair with table on the deck, and a TV. We always stay in this category and request a third floor corner room and have always gotten it. We find the view better from up there and the privacy from people walking buy. Also love listening to the tree frogs, without the road noise, We love the sound of them and I dont know how the noise level is in the GHVS with the aurora club at night. Plus these rooms feel more like being in a traditional hotel, where the others have a more tropical feel.

If you book the OVS you will not be dissapointed it fits the bill perfectly. I may have some pictures of the view from our room if you want, I will have to look they may be on our old computer and have not been transferred to our new one yet.

Definitely go for the OVS. That's where we stayed last time and where we're returning this time. We worked the dates of our vacation around their availability. Just walking around the grounds, we knew the GVS was not for us as the road noise is very loud. We have never seen the Atrium suites although I believe they are at one end of the resort. The OVS are centrally located. We had a third floor which was nice because of privacy and view. The rooms are very adequate in my opinion. Nothing incredibly fancy, but you're not in there often enough to care. The balcony's are huge and a great place to lounge!

We booked one of the Atrium Suites.

We do not want a marble and granite fancy room. We have stayed at the Moon Palace in Cancun and those rooms are really nice but they do not have the island flavor that we love.

A few of the Atrium Suites now have tv's so maybe we will get lucky. Thanks for all of the responses.

We are looking forward to trying the 3rd of the 4 couples properties

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    We booked one of the Atrium Suites.

We do not want a marble and granite fancy room. We have stayed at the Moon Palace in Cancun and those rooms are really nice but they do not have the island flavor that we love.

A few of the Atrium Suites now have tv's so maybe we will get lucky. Thanks for all of the responses.

We are looking forward to trying the 3rd of the 4 couples properties
    When did Atriums get tv's? They said they would not be putting tv's or glass in those rooms so I really hope that is just a mistake. They have minibars now and they also added tv's and glass to the old GS to make them GVS but not the Atriums. When we were there at the end of last year there were no tv's and they said they were done renovating the Atriums since they all had been updated with minibars.