Default CSS Deluxe Ocean Verandah vs One Bedroom Ocean Suite

I'm trying to decide between these rooms (again) and just can't figure out which one would be best for us. The room does matter to me since we do not spend all of our time outside of the room. We like to hang out in the room and relax in the room and on the balcony.

From the photos it looks like the One Bedroom Ocean Suite has a much bigger balcony but is it like that on all of them or just a few like the BFS at CSA and I will likely never get one of those balconies? The wording makes it seem like only some have large balconies so is the one in the virtual tour a large one or a normal one? If the one in the tour is a large one, are the normal sized ones the same as the Deluxe Ocean Verandah? Are the larger balconies on a certain floor or in a certain building? I have tried to get a good understanding of this on here but get conflicting information. One of the neat things we are excited to try at CSS is ordering room service and eating a private dinner on the patio. Will there be space for that in either of these rooms?

I also read that the One Bedroom Ocean Suites do not have a separate bedroom. That was really confusing since they show a separate bedroom and living room in the photos and they mention it in the description. Maybe that is also just in a few and not all?

What are the bathrooms like? I love the Atrium bathroom with the walk in shower and no tub. I don't need double sinks or anything like that but I would take it if it was there. Are there windows in the bathroom? I really prefer natural light and love the showers at CSA that have a window in them. Nice ventilation and a view!

I also have a very severe allergy to mold an mildew. I know that everything is kept as clean as possible but there is only so much you can do in a climate like this. It's very humid and warm which is prime growing condition for mildew and mold. Mildew grows on the ground in densely planted areas. That's just how it is. We usually stay in BFS or Atriums at CSA and I have found the second floor to be better for me than the first as there is increased airflow. Even with the screens in all the windows, the vegetation causes a slight problem for me on the first floor. Since none of the rooms at CSS are as open and breezy as the Atriums at CSA I am sure we will be wanting an upper floor room, probably as high as we can go. Are we more likely to get a top floor room with either of these categories or is it about even?

I made a pro/con list but am not sure if it is accurate. Please let me know if there is anything else I should add or is anything is inaccurate. I really appreciate all the help you guys provide!!

Deluxe Ocean Verandah Suite-
    pros- available on second and third floors, nice ocean view, bedroom opens to the patio so we can get a good breeze and hear the ocean at night (a big plus for me), slightly cheaper
    cons- smaller balcony without lounger (?), no sitting area in the room, only on balcony

One Bedroom Ocean Suite-
    pros- available on second and third floors, nice ocean view, large balcony (?) with both lounger and table/chairs
    cons- bedroom is at the back of the suite without access to the balcony (I sweat there were two virtual tours before but I can't find one for the bedroom part now so not sure about this one), slightly more expensive

My ideal room would have a great view, large enough balcony to have a table and two chairs plus some sort of lounger or couch, some sort of sitting area inside (at least one chair) and direct access to the patio from the bedroom and a walk in shower, not bathtub/shower combo. I don't think that exists though. I think as long as there was a window that could open in the bedroom and I could get some sort of airflow going, I would take that and a good balcony over a small balcony with no lounger and a bedroom that has access to the balcony. So which room do I want? I was thinking the One Bedroom Ocean Suite but I don't really know.

Thanks!!!

We had a Deluxe Ocean Verandah. When we walked into the room I thought we had the wrong category. The layout was nothing like the photos and tour on the website. We were in G15A, right up on the top floor. We had a HUGE verandah with a table and 4 chairs, lounger (single), sofa, and 2 coffee tables.
    The bed was set back behind the bathroom, so the room was a bit dark compared to CTI, but had it been really hot we could've opened the 2 windows (looking out over the service road) and the verandah door and maybe got a cross breeze. We just used the fan (noisy) or the A/C.
    The bathroom was large, with a window looking over the verandah. It had a large tiled shower without a built in seat like we've had at CSA and CTI, but it had the line for drying clothes.
    The closet was a small walk-in type with clothes bars on each side and a row of shelves in the middle (and the safe). That was the only clothes storage though; no drawers.
    We really liked the room, as we use the verandah in the early morning and enjoyed watching fishing boats, and cruise ships come in.
    So, I guess that category of room does come in a variety of layouts and sizes. Since we can't request specific rooms, you never know what you'll get.

Here's my photo link, as there are some room pictures at the start of the CSS album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/diverdebbie

jamaicamecrazy- thanks! It hadn't even occurred to me that the DOV might vary as well. Thanks so much for your help and photos!

I spent some time on the phone with the Couples booking agent to make sure I booked one of the rooms with the larger balcony and double lounger. I was assured that a Deluxe Ocean Veranda was the only way to guarantee a large balcony with the lounger.

That is exactly what we got. The bathroom was a let down and the furniture in the room in the F bldg needed to be updated and cleaned but the view was nice and the balcony got a lot of morning and evening/night time use from us. Great for enjoying coffee inthe a.m., enjoying a drink before going to dinner.

If you have a BAD mold allergy, you may want to stay away from the Caribbean altogether. There is no way to guarantee a mold free room. I have the same issues and just dealt with it there. The resort was very clean but you will no doubt encounter mold spores everywhere, in and out. It's just natural. But do request a room that is not a ground floor room and explain why. I have the same thinking and always request a room on a higher floor. CSS, though, are not high rise buildings and they are built into the cliffs so a first floor room could be the same as a 2nd floor room in the next bldg. Just enjoy and take some allergy meds with you.

We had the One Bedroom Ocean Suite and it had a large balcony - amazing views. The bedroom was in the back and separate. I never had witness any mold or mildew (or even smelled it) while we were there. Only down side (if I could find one) was the bathroom was small.

Now I'm really confused about what to do. The virtual tour on the website shows a small balcony with no lounger for the Deluxe Ocean Verandah. I feel like it might just be a toss up and I could go either way. I don't know.

Actually, my pillow at CSS did smell musty/moldy. I'm sure they would've replaced it if I complained, but it's just not my nature. I have a pretty sensitive nose. So I threw a (dry!) towel over it and that fixed the problem for me.
    Definitely with the severity of your allergy, do be sure to ask for a new pillow if it seems moldy at all.

Default Ocean Veranda

Hi,
    We stayed in the Ocean Veranda on D block Oct 2010. The room was not large but very comfortable. We had a good size balcony with a table, two chairs, and mini-bar. Our room was on the corner so it looked out over both the ocean and the beach. We loved it. We also loved that our bed faced the sliding glass doors so we could see the sun come up in the morning. I am a early riser, so I loved to get up, make some tea out on the balcony and read. We loved the comfort of the room and the fact it was not fancy. The bathoom was large with a double sink and plenty of storage. The shower was a walk in and overlooked the ocean. We definitely would choose the same type of room and same building. The location of D block is excellent. We liked the fact that it was half way to the top and half way to the beach. Whatever you choose, the resort is fantastic, mostly because of the wonderful people who work there.
    Have a terrific time!
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicamecrazy View Post
    Actually, my pillow at CSS did smell musty/moldy. I'm sure they would've replaced it if I complained, but it's just not my nature. I have a pretty sensitive nose. So I threw a (dry!) towel over it and that fixed the problem for me.
    Definitely with the severity of your allergy, do be sure to ask for a new pillow if it seems moldy at all.
    I know I am in the minority here but I always travel with my pillow. It's made of this latex foam stuff so I can smash it down really flat on top of the stuff in my suitcase and it barely takes up any extra room. It also works well when we pack breakables on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake3337 View Post
    Hi,
    We stayed in the Ocean Veranda on D block Oct 2010. The room was not large but very comfortable. We had a good size balcony with a table, two chairs, and mini-bar. Our room was on the corner so it looked out over both the ocean and the beach. We loved it. We also loved that our bed faced the sliding glass doors so we could see the sun come up in the morning. I am a early riser, so I loved to get up, make some tea out on the balcony and read. We loved the comfort of the room and the fact it was not fancy. The bathoom was large with a double sink and plenty of storage. The shower was a walk in and overlooked the ocean. We definitely would choose the same type of room and same building. The location of D block is excellent. We liked the fact that it was half way to the top and half way to the beach. Whatever you choose, the resort is fantastic, mostly because of the wonderful people who work there.
    Have a terrific time!
    Steph
    That sounds really good! Most people probably don't care about the showers but it is really neat to be able to see outside while in the shower. We usually have a view of garden areas but the ocean would be even more fun.

I think jamaicamecrazy is right with the variability. The older part of CSS was subdivided into hotel rooms from private residences, and it seems to me that those spaces that couldn't quite be made into what they call a one bedroom ocean suite were put into the verandah category. Sometimes that means a smaller room (or no separate bedroom and sitting room), sometimes that means a smaller balcony, and sometimes I'm not sure what the difference is. I'd say if price is an issue, book the verandah, and if not, book the one bedroom ocean (easier to "downgrade" than vice versa). Either way, if you explain your preferences at check-in, and if they're not swamped at the front or fully booked, you may be able to take a look at a couple options and decide that way.

Don't get your heart set on the third floor unless you're in the jacuzzi category: Most of the blocks have the penthouse suits on the third floor.

And as for mold, I agree with terriv. Couples is very clean, but humidity is definitely a problem. When you have the A/C on in the room and go out to the balcony, you can literally see the condensation start to form on the walls, and that's when you're trying to be careful about not leaving the doors open long. If allergies are an issue, I'd at a minimum suggest bringing a pillow (or inquiring about their available options) and some Claritin.