Thread: Bug Spray

Default Bug Spray

My Husband and I are going to CN in a few weeks and I was wondering what is the best bug spray for the beach, and does skin so soft work?

You really don't need to worry about bugs until nightfall. When staying in Ocho Rios, there was a very small bug that bit at your heels when you were in the sand. Caused some itching, and small red bites. Some people will refer to these as "no-see-ums." My husband and I used OFF brand and it worked just fine. Just a very basic spray will do. Last time I was in Negril, a bartender at a different resort told me that the bugs only like "white meat." LOL!

bug spray really isn't an issue...during the day. At night, it's nice to have if you're going to be on the beach(and you WILL on bonfire night) we've brought deep woods off with like 98%DEET, in travel size and it worked great
    The sun & the sand & a drink in my hand, with no bottom

I have yet to find one that actually works for me in Jamaica. I would spray and spray but still wake up each morning with a ton of bites. Every trip is different though. Sometimes I don't wear any get one or two bites total and sometimes I get bitten while wearing a ton of spray.

I use skin so soft and I have yet to be bothered by the bugs in Negril.

I have become hyper-sensitive as I've gotten older and previous Caribbean vacations have bordered on torturous for me. This was our first trip to Jamaica and CSS and as a precaution, I used the Deep Woods Off! Sportman 1 oz pump-spray (98.25% DEET, mosquito protection for up to 10 hours) every night before we left the room for dinner. I picked this one as it was 98% DEET and it was the only one that listed sand flies. CSS has a beach party once a week and we were at two of them. We saw sand flies but didn't get one bite. It does not have an offensive smell but I did wash it off once back in the room. It didn't say to, that's just me.
    I wouldn't want to use this every day of my life but for a vacation, I was okay with putting it on at night. http://www.off.com/en-US/Products/Pa...sportsmen.aspx

If there are any bugs around I get eaten alive and Skin So Soft won't cut it. If bugs like you, get something stronger, Off spray or lotion at least, or something stronger if need be. I wouldn't use Deet though it you don't need to. Oh, and bring After Bite in case you do get bitten.
    Likewise I've had different experiences with bugs. At CSA I did notice them around dusk, and paid the price if I forgot to spray. I didn't find them too bad though... nothing like Grand Cayman, which was/still is in part swamp land, so they were so bad I literally could not go our at dusk. No bug spray worked whatsoever. I was eaten alive and so itchy. It was horrible. Jamaica is very different landscape though. This past trip to CTI/CSS I didn't use the bug spray at all and didn't get one single bite!!! (mossie or sand flies) THAT, is the benefit to cooler, breezer weather I suppose.
    So a lot depends on when you go and what the weather is like at the time.

I've been to CN in March, April, and May without protection and with no bites. I've also been in November and got several bites. Our last time was to CTI and CSS and I used Skin So Soft and had no bites, but that could have been being on the other side of the island as there are less reports of bug bites over there.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

There were a lot of mosquitos last May at CN but May is rainier than Feb and the bugs normally more of an issue. We pack the bug spray towelettes (we travel carry on only) and also have a small spray bottle of OFF with us whenever we travel to the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by kate5824 View Post
    Last time I was in Negril, a bartender at a different resort told me that the bugs only like "white meat."
    Not true - they like all types of "meat". Don't know why some of us get bitten more than others, but I'm one of the unlucky ones. My husband and I cover all exposed skin with Off! spray before we go out after dark - don't forget your feet, shoulders, back - get EVERY inch of exposed skin. Before bed, I give the sheets a spray to prevent being attacked at night. We've perfected our routine, and on our last trip (our fourth to Jamaaica) I didn't get a single bite! Which was amazing. We haven't tried any other type of bug repellant, but I definitely recommend good 'ol deet.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    I've been to CN in March, April, and May without protection and with no bites. I've also been in November and got several bites. Our last time was to CTI and CSS and I used Skin So Soft and had no bites, but that could have been being on the other side of the island as there are less reports of bug bites over there.

Guess I should say we always go the to Couples Negril the last couple of weeks in February, so the timing may have something to do with it. I have forgotten to put on the skin so soft and not been bothered, and believe me I would know, as I am allergic to bites of all kinds and really swell up around the bite. Too many and I get sick. Only 9 days left until going home to Jamaica mon.

I noticed that Skin So Soft is available in an oil which is in a pump spray bottle, and there's also a Skin So Soft moisturizing lotion. Which one is supposed to repel bugs? Both types? I would hate to pack the oil and have it leak all over my clothes...

Default Bug Spray

Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone that replayed to my question about bus spray. Just 16 more days, can't wait for our first visit to CN!! :0)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelBug View Post
    I noticed that Skin So Soft is available in an oil which is in a pump spray bottle, and there's also a Skin So Soft moisturizing lotion. Which one is supposed to repel bugs? Both types? I would hate to pack the oil and have it leak all over my clothes...
    I use the spray bottle pump, when I remember to put it on. A packing tip if you don't already, put stuff that can leak into good zip lock bags and you will save yourself a mess. Learned the hard way.

I agree with smroot, I put anything liquid or oily in a zip lock...sometimes double bagged. Often when we arrive something has leaked so more than once I've been glad I bagged my stuff. I stick a couple extra bags in my suitcase so I don't have to put those bottles back in messy bags after I've cleaned them up, they don't always leak again on the way home.

As far as which one works, for sure the lotion does as it was the original and the one Avon touted as having the bug repellent ability. If others have used the oil and it works as well then they both work. Go with what you like or what seems more convenient to you.