Thread: New Tings at CN

Default New Tings at CN

boardwalk - others have posted about it, but we hadn't seen it. It looks much better, though you might not notice it if you didn't remember the old boardwalk. The stair areas in all areas have treads in them now.

The point to the north has some construction going on and they have visibly fewer trees, (admittedly this is not strictly a change at CN, but if you're on the beach the view difference is noticeable.)

Repeat Guest dinner is now at Lychee (as opposed to Otaheite). Lychee is now closed on Monday, and Otaheite is closed on Thursday.

Misja is no longer at Couples. We're not sure who is handling his chef duties (though our full happy bellies attest to things being taken care of.)

Superbowl TV screen is up. (OK temporary change). Massive. Perhaps 30 ft. by 30 ft.
    Last edited by rudi; February 7th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.

Wow, if the Repeater's dinner is now at Lychee, does that mean that the night has been changed? Lycee was closed on Thursday's and Otaheite was closed on Monday's to accomdate the repeaters dinner.

Say it isn't so ???? CN w/o Misja????
    Art xo Francine

Superbowl party was huge success - they went all out. (the large screen (there was at least one screen more above the pool) was actually more like 16 ft by 16ft (2 rows of 4 plywood panels, which are 4' by 8' I believe).

Also - the cappucino, etc. machines at the iternet cafe and cassava have been replaced with simple coffee urns.

The espresso machine at the Beach Grill is now in the BG bar (bartender said he guesses he needs more to do).

There is a bird net at Heliconia on block 1 side - good idea, presumably to keep the blackbirds/starlings out. (It is not very noticable - sort of a fine mesh thing).

Weather has been very good. Only a very few short showers so far.

Repeat dinner was huge last night - 100 or so guests, but Lychee can accomodate easily. (and lobster was back on the menu!!)

Time to run the beach with the glorious sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by Art and Francine View Post
    Say it isn't so ???? CN w/o Misja????
    Jean & Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Wow, if the Repeater's dinner is now at Lychee, does that mean that the night has been changed? Lycee was closed on Thursday's and Otaheite was closed on Monday's to accomdate the repeaters dinner.
    AS was posted above:

Repeat Guest dinner is now at Lychee (as opposed to Otaheite). Lychee is now closed on Monday, and Otaheite is closed on Thursday.

they was also putting a new thatched roof on at the swimup bar

Quote Originally Posted by columbo View Post
    AS was posted above:

In Blondie's defense, I edited the original post precisely because it wasn't clear. The original post didn't have that detail and Blondie may have only seen that.

I should also clarify that "The stair areas in all areas have treads in them now" is an attempt to explain that all of the new boardwalk areas that transition from some other surface, beach, pool deck, etc., have tread marks indented in the wood.
    Whether for all stairs or for the first two rows of boards otherwise.
    It is a nice modification because the deck can get a bit slippery after a light rain and this lessens the chance of a mishap.

Thanks Rudi for coming to a girl's defense. Columbo, chill, it is irie.

I love that there is now a bird net up at Heliconia, I know my husband is going to love that, he really, really, really hates birds......now if they could put one up on the back side of Cassava that would be great.

OK we're back. A consolidated list of changes (new to us) from Feb 2011.

• Repeater Dinner is now at Lychee (on Monday still) and Otaheite is closed on Thursday.
    • The replaced boardwalk that others have mentioned. Also noted treads on all the boardwalk steps and the 1st 2 rows of any transition area.
    • Construction on the north point area of Bloody Bay. We were told they will be private condos/apartments. (didn’t like the sight, personally).
    • There are at least two tree swings. One is in the large tree near the towel hut and one close to watersports area.
    • The towel hut is converted to a hammock area at night (we’d heard this, but hadn’t experienced).
    • The Entertainment Team brings a little stand and water cooler to the beach for volleyball games – a great idea.
    • There are small ice buckets in the rooms.
    • The 2 cappuccino machines (in Internet Café and at Cassava) have been replaced with coffee urns.
    • The Espresso machine near the BeachGrill “buffet” area has been moved into the bar where the bartenders tend to it. (there is another one on the wait staff bar near the Cassava hot buffet counter).
    • There is a bird net at Heliconia on block 1 side.
    • The Wedding Arch has been replaced with a more permanent-looking wooden structure.
    • There are now only 2 auctions per week (Thursday at beachgrill 2:45PM and Tuesday 11PM after the auction – which will take place on the landing across the driveway from the lobby if it rains).
    • Heliconia menu is “bistro” style menu (as opposed to the Pasta/Italian menu). Others have noted this. The only substantial difference to us was the omission of pasta as appetizers or main course and only one salad and one soup choice.
    • Lychee menu now changes on Tuesday (previously it changed on Friday).
    • Some of the roofs on the main buildings have been replaced.
    • The rooms have bath soap lotion and shampoo dispensers (new to us).
    • No Aloe in the room.
    • Water is available at the self-service bar in the beach (we had always thought so – just verifying that it still is because of a recent post that it was not).
    • Misja Ruijs has moved to a different company. Andre (Sous Chef) is temporarily on his duty and Stefan Spath is at CN several days weekly.
    • Beach Grill hummus platter, fish fingers, and Caesar salad are gone but tossed salad with shrimp on a skewer is a new addition (to us).
    • Bonfire on the beach on Thursday was on the water’s edge. The Sunday bonfire was at the “usual” spot, toward the steps down from the boardwalk somewhat near the towel hut.
    • Tile in the hot tubs on either end of main pool has been replaced (new to us).
    • The railings (on the door side) have been freshly painted in at least some blocks, if not all.
    • The activity list is a bit different.
    • Piano Bar has a huge martini glass.
    • The Systems Department manager was measuring to put up a router in a tall palm tree on the beach for better wireless coverage there.
    • The smaller palm tree (~18 ft?) by the beach volley ball court was cut down and removed (that detail is for you, tall blonde lady).

And as Theo63 noted, the pool bar thatch roof was replaced, though a certain bartender says it will still leak in severe shower.

Thanks Rudi for coming to a girl's defense.
    N.P.
    now if they could put one up on the back side of Cassava that would be great.
    I don't know about that, as it would restrict guest and staff traffic.
    However, at one time there was an artificial bird noise machine at Cassava. Mr. Salmon (transferred to CSA awhile back) explained that the predator noises (eagles, hawks, etc.) frightened the black birds.
    It seemed fairly effective, though the egret traipsing about on the pool deck didn't seem to mind it. I haven't seen or heard it in awhile - perhaps they (the black birds) became accustomed to it. They also have had glittering owls hanging in the rafters of Cassava from time to time for the similar reasons.

Rudi -- we can always depend on you!

The glass tile in the hot tubs was installed in December. Very interesting to watch. I should have taken photos!

Mr. M is not a fan of the new coffee stations for fresh cappuccino. Don't think the bartenders enjoy it much either.

I miss the garlic bread and Italian menu in Heliconia. (moment of silence, but I was able to find great alternative choices)

Very sad about Misja. This is a major bummer -- but know Andre will do an excellent job.

Keep those updates coming!!

Dang, I had heard that the fish fingers were back on the menu. I really loved those and missed them last year.

Wow I just meant to do a short simple post,didnt mean for anyone to have to be defended, or ask me to chill,guess it was read entirely different than meant to be posted.

I happen to like the birds....I know it's probably unsanitary but it makes me feel more like I'm in the Caribbean
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

leoconnor - thanks, please return the favor on your next trip.

Agreed that the bartenders probably don't enjoy having yet another item (espresso machine) with which to deal, but I (being one who enjoys the smell of coffee) admit to liking the aroma when stepping up to the bar.
    It is the automated cappuccino, etc. machines I miss from the I.C. and Cassava. Though, on the upside, I'm pretty sure they were loaded with sugar and not that good for me.

Columbo - N.P. it's not a big deal. I tend to post quickly and think about it later - particularly when at CN and I could be running the beach in the AM!

Current (as of Feb. 12) Entertainment Team:
    • Simone - Team Lead
    • Anjelica
    • Nana
    • Nellie/Nelka
    • Carlos
    • Ava

Great run down Rudi, we arrive there Feb 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    OK we're back. A consolidated list of changes (new to us) from Feb 2011.

• Repeater Dinner is now at Lychee (on Monday still) and Otaheite is closed on Thursday.
    • The replaced boardwalk that others have mentioned. Also noted treads on all the boardwalk steps and the 1st 2 rows of any transition area.
    • Construction on the north point area of Bloody Bay. We were told they will be private condos/apartments. (didn’t like the sight, personally).
    • There are at least two tree swings. One is in the large tree near the towel hut and one close to watersports area.
    • The towel hut is converted to a hammock area at night (we’d heard this, but hadn’t experienced).
    • The Entertainment Team brings a little stand and water cooler to the beach for volleyball games – a great idea.
    • There are small ice buckets in the rooms.
    • The 2 cappuccino machines (in Internet Café and at Cassava) have been replaced with coffee urns.
    • The Espresso machine near the BeachGrill “buffet” area has been moved into the bar where the bartenders tend to it. (there is another one on the wait staff bar near the Cassava hot buffet counter).
    • There is a bird net at Heliconia on block 1 side.
    • The Wedding Arch has been replaced with a more permanent-looking wooden structure.
    • There are now only 2 auctions per week (Thursday at beachgrill 2:45PM and Tuesday 11PM after the auction – which will take place on the landing across the driveway from the lobby if it rains).
    • Heliconia menu is “bistro” style menu (as opposed to the Pasta/Italian menu). Others have noted this. The only substantial difference to us was the omission of pasta as appetizers or main course and only one salad and one soup choice.
    • Lychee menu now changes on Tuesday (previously it changed on Friday).
    • Some of the roofs on the main buildings have been replaced.
    • The rooms have bath soap lotion and shampoo dispensers (new to us).
    • No Aloe in the room.
    • Water is available at the self-service bar in the beach (we had always thought so – just verifying that it still is because of a recent post that it was not).
    • Misja Ruijs has moved to a different company. Andre (Sous Chef) is temporarily on his duty and Stefan Spath is at CN several days weekly.
    • Beach Grill hummus platter, fish fingers, and Caesar salad are gone but tossed salad with shrimp on a skewer is a new addition (to us).
    • Bonfire on the beach on Thursday was on the water’s edge. The Sunday bonfire was at the “usual” spot, toward the steps down from the boardwalk somewhat near the towel hut.
    • Tile in the hot tubs on either end of main pool has been replaced (new to us).
    • The railings (on the door side) have been freshly painted in at least some blocks, if not all.
    • The activity list is a bit different.
    • Piano Bar has a huge martini glass.
    • The Systems Department manager was measuring to put up a router in a tall palm tree on the beach for better wireless coverage there.
    • The smaller palm tree (~18 ft?) by the beach volley ball court was cut down and removed (that detail is for you, tall blonde lady).

And as Theo63 noted, the pool bar thatch roof was replaced, though a certain bartender says it will still leak in severe shower.

Hi Rudi, You are the Absolute Best!! And We Love you to Pieces!!! I can see you Blushing LOL!!!
    Keep meaning to send you an email - w/do so soon! 3 Huge Cheers for Rudi!!! Yay Rudi, Yay Rudi, YAY Rudi!!!!
    Art xo Francine

Great recap, as always! What did you think of scuba diving?

Default Six more sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by columbo View Post
    Great run down Rudi, we arrive there Feb 21st.
    See you and Spike on the boat Thurs. night.

Quote Originally Posted by Art and Francine View Post
    Hi Rudi ...
    Thanks, A&F. Hope you enjoyed the detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_and_Patti View Post
    Great recap, as always! What did you think of scuba diving?
    G&P,
    Well I was grateful not to have your CTI "friend" with the knife on board.
    Everyone was very nice. We'll give you a rundown later.

Quote Originally Posted by mark527 View Post
    See you and Spike on the boat Thurs. night.
    Mark, it was great to see you guys again, we had a blast as usual and the boat ride was a lot of fun glad you guys were able to get on, we will definitly do it again when we return. Everything was great as usual only kind of dissapointed in Othelite restaurant didn't wow me like a reservation/ dress code restaurant should.
    Hope to see you guys back there again some time and glad all worked out for the good for you on that hassle you went thru for the quad trip.

forgot one more thing...
    There is now a sundial on a tree stump in the garden bed between the boardwalk and pool deck near the beachgrill bar.

Thanks to MrandMrsBean for the reminder.
    "CN Photo Album March 9-16, 2011"
    http://couplesjamaica.biz/mb/showthread.php?t=13258