Default What is the "vibe" of CTI?

To all the CTI lovers of the world.

My husband and I are looking to book a 10 day getaway in April. Having been to CN and CSA in the past I know to expect exceptional service, great food, and understand very well that each Couples resort is unique and individual in it's own way. With that said, I am struggling to book CTI. It's not that it doesn't "call to me", it most definitely does. I love the decor and look of the resort but am not sure about the "feel" of this resort. I am not asking anyone to compare these resorts, nor am I interested in doing a split with other Couples resorts. I am however interested in the atmosphere" of CTI...and being honest I find that this is something that nobody, whether it be on the message board, or on trip advisor, ever really talks about. My main concern, when I look at pictures is that the resort looks like a ghost town. So quite simply, where are all the people? Any insight into the "vibe" and social scene of CTI would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kris
    Kris

Our last trip was in 2007 so this report is strictly before renovations. I will be glad to get you another update once we come back the end of March. Our first trip to couples in 2005 was more of a ghost town but that is what we wanted. We were getting married and we wanted the feel of being alone and romantic. The second trip we found a group called the moonshiners that all got together each year and decided to meet up with them for a more party type atmosphere. So my suggestion is if you are looking for a crazy outrageous time read the boards and find a group that goes every year and meets up. If you are wanting a more laid back, no worries, and romantic trip then book. Alone the days were quite with awesome food. With a group it was almost shamefully exciting with awesome food. The night's without a group will consist of watching a show and talking to people that happen to be there or walking around the resort hand in hand just enjoying not having to care about anything but what was going on between us at that moment. Both are very special if you ask me. Sometimes you want the hustle and bustle of people acting silly. Other times you want to be alone, out in the swings in the garden with nothing around but the sounds of tree frogs and stars in the sky. Whatever experience you want you will find it at CTI it is simply magical. You will not be disappointed with any destination you book through couples as you already know. So the vibe at CTI is simply what you make it.

As far as the vibe at CTI I can speak from my 10 trips there.... like Jamerican said it can be what ever you want... if you want peace and calm you can have that if you (like me and our group Ivan Islanders) like to party and have fun then you can do that... as it is with any thing it can be anything you want it to be... just be safe and respectful to others and its all good... book and you will fall in love with CTI just as you did with Couples other properties!!

If you are planning to go this April, I would suggest booking immediately. I know the other 3 Couples resorts show no availability in mid-April.

During the day there are a lot of couples at the waters edge. Enjoying the serenity of a gorgeous day. The vibe there is alone together. With everyone settled in to their lounges, many people tend to be into themselves. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interaction.
    Over at the new swim-up bar, the vibe is definitely more up beat. There is music and lots of social interaction. And the longer they stay at the pool area drinking and laughing and telling stories, and drinking, the more congenial the crowd gets.
    Out on the island, just about everyone out there is in to drinking, lots of interaction with everyone that is around. Nice music playing near the swim-up bar, very much the party atmosphere on the left side of the island. Time to party with 20-30 naked couples. However, if you would like to be less social and just be with your favorite SO, there is that too. They are on the right side of the island. More solitude, book reading, sleeping.
    At lunch time in the main dining room, you will see many more couples. Some social interaction while having lunch. In the evening, again, you will see many couples. Many hang out around the bar area. There are three restaurants so that's where a lot of people are. After everyone has had their evening meal, they head for entertainment time in the main dining room. Music, dancing and lots of happy people. Later on around 9-10 there will be a crowd in the piano bar having a great time.
    Generally speaking, I guess the vibe is upbeat and fun. If you want to interact with other couples, there is plenty of that. If you would like to be just with your partner, there is that too.
    We will be there from April 21 to May 3. There is a large group of us out on the island during the day. We are part of the April Amigos. We got together right after the resort opened a few years ago and we gather again every April. It isn't hard to become part of any group of people.

I hope this helps.

Richie

Default two trips

Was at COR in 2005 and CTI in 2010.

Totally two different vibes for us. 1st trip was our 1st vacation of this type since our honeymoon 21 years earlier. We found the main beach to be quiet and very relaxing, but the party time was out on Tower Island. Met a great group of people out there and for the next 5 days we found the best of both world, quiet when you wanted it and party time as well. We did hang with the TI Crew at night which made for some great laughs and fun.
    Fast forward to 2010...CTI completely re-done and looks brand new...some people say it has a "South Beach" feel, never having been I can't compare...but with the new swimup bar on the main part of the resort the quiet of the main resort was missing to a point...but the new swimup bar did make the resort a tad more lively...a lot more mainland socializing amongst the guest.

If you have enjoyed the other Couples resort(service/food,etc..) you will not be disappointed in CTI and use the Trading Places program to checkout CSS...worth it.
    Last edited by Bostonwalt; February 11th, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Peace,
    BostonWalt

We went to CTI in 2005 and 2006 before the reno. CN in 2008 and CSS in 2009.
    By far we found CTI to be the more social atmosphere. Could have been the dates we went but we met far more people at CTI that were into meeting and socializing. The place then was definitely around the main bar above the beach grill after 5 pm and up until dinner time. Same area after dinner, but also down below on the beach gill patio. The piano bar was much busier there than we found at either of the other properties. Great thing about CTI or any couples property for that matter, is you can be as social or private as you would like.

We were there early to mid December each year. I guess it really could depend on who's there when you are there. Go and enjoy! The renovation pictures look awesome!
    That was our only complaint with CTI, pre-renovations, was that it needed renovations. We WILL definatley go back.

CSS in 39 days!!!!

I think the vibe will vary depending on the time of year, special events (like holidays), and the crowd you happen to have at them time.
    We were just there over New Year's. I posted pictures of deserted beach and pool area. That's because I like to get up early to take those photos without people in them. It's in no way an indication of how busy it actually got (quite packed, actually). Most people don't tend to hit the beach or pools until a bit later though.
    Another factor to the vibe could also be poor weather. When people can't just veg in the sun they tend to socialize more.
    For us I would say the vibe at CTI was "fun and social". That could be because it was a party holiday such as New Year's. Maybe again for that reason, but the crowd then was predominently younger, with lots of 20-something couples. We met a lot of nice couples who were quite a bit younger than our 40-something ages. But we met some nice couples older than us as well. It seemd that most people invited conversation as opposed to keeping to themselves. Just my observation. For us it was one of the most memorable things about that week.
    We saw some women dressed in short, tight cocktail dresses and very high heels (or tall boots!!!) at night, like they were going clubbing, (and not just for NYE). But then again most couples were more casually dressed or somewhere in between. It never had a hoity-toity vibe like some fancy hotels.
    All in all though, I would say that it's still not nearly so laid back as we found CSA and CSS to be. I think (just MY thoughts), that more couples go to CTI to socialize, and/or because they prefer a more hotel like atmosphere, whereas they pick the other 3 if they want more of a tropical feeling beach vacation.. They also tend to pick the two in Negril if that beach vibe is of high priority.

We have been to CTI, CSS and CN (trying CSA 2012. In our opinion the vibe is best at CTI. The staff are the best and as it's a compact resort you meet many more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabracer View Post
    During the day there are a lot of couples at the waters edge. Enjoying the serenity of a gorgeous day. The vibe there is alone together. With everyone settled in to their lounges, many people tend to be into themselves. There doesn't seem to be a lot of interaction.
    Over at the new swim-up bar, the vibe is definitely more up beat. There is music and lots of social interaction. And the longer they stay at the pool area drinking and laughing and telling stories, and drinking, the more congenial the crowd gets.
    Out on the island, just about everyone out there is in to drinking, lots of interaction with everyone that is around. Nice music playing near the swim-up bar, very much the party atmosphere on the left side of the island. Time to party with 20-30 naked couples. However, if you would like to be less social and just be with your favorite SO, there is that too. They are on the right side of the island. More solitude, book reading, sleeping.
    At lunch time in the main dining room, you will see many more couples. Some social interaction while having lunch. In the evening, again, you will see many couples. Many hang out around the bar area. There are three restaurants so that's where a lot of people are. After everyone has had their evening meal, they head for entertainment time in the main dining room. Music, dancing and lots of happy people. Later on around 9-10 there will be a crowd in the piano bar having a great time.
    Generally speaking, I guess the vibe is upbeat and fun. If you want to interact with other couples, there is plenty of that. If you would like to be just with your partner, there is that too.
    We will be there from April 21 to May 3. There is a large group of us out on the island during the day. We are part of the April Amigos. We got together right after the resort opened a few years ago and we gather again every April. It isn't hard to become part of any group of people.

I hope this helps.

Richie
    Thank you so much for this info Richie. I can hear the excitment in your voice as you speak of this property. You have calmed my fears. We do like to have fun when we're away, nothing crazy, just the kind of fun that comes with no cares, no kids, and no work! I love the small intimiate resorts and getting to know other travellers, seeing familiar faces and chillin' out at the swim up bar. Perhaps we'll see you on the island and you can recruit a new Amigo!
    Kris

We are making our 5th trip in July and our 4th was the best so far. As for vibe, well if you want to be alone, you can do that either at the beach in your lounge chairs or at the main pool or on a stroll through the garden. Want to socialize, well check out the swim up bar on the mainland or the swim up bar at the island which is A/N. I think one of the reasons photos show so few people is that many guests are out doing something--water sports, excursions, etc. ALSO, the beach will look empty as the only people allowed on it are the guests of the hotel!
    Vicky

Crabracer has that effect on everyone! I remember when we first booked to stay @ CTI for 09/2011 back last year in March. I was reading this MB and listening to people bash CTI. I was so upset and confused. I really thought that we had made a terrible mistake in picking CTI. I have to say that 2 things changed my mind. First thing was that one of my co-workers went to CTI in the later part of April to celebrate her 10 yr anniversary. Her & her husband had an amazing time. All she talked about was going back. I am an avid traveler. I have been to many places. She know what I like and dislike. She said that I will absolutely love CTI. The second thing that confirmed that we had made the right decision was reading Crabracer's monthly quotes and reviews about CTI. Many people write about how great CTI is. When he write about how great CTI is, the joy and excitement just burst off the MB. I can't explain it but it's like his face is lightening up while he's talking and describing CTI. So, I knew after these 2 things that we had made the right decision. Now no one can tell me anything bad or disappointing about CTI. Because I know that Crabracer will come in and make it all better.
    Terry & Tonia Collins

Quote Originally Posted by 2-4-Jamaica View Post
    If you are planning to go this April, I would suggest booking immediately. I know the other 3 Couples resorts show no availability in mid-April.
    I agree! CTI will be busy in April especially around Easter. This is spring break time/vacation time for many people all over. I can only vacation at Xmas and spring break time and have never been to a resort that wasn't packed!

As far as the resort looking empty, I thought the same thing before I went because all the pics I saw looked bare. That was not the case based on the time of year I went. Good luck and I hope you book soon.

we will be going for the 1st time to jamaica and a couples resort in March...I can't wait. This is a honeymoon and I am so looking forward to so sun after all the snow we have had. Anything good to pass on beside the above

Thanks for the nice words spice505,

lauren80 Just let everything you see and o be an exciting new experience. Everyone can tell you of different things to see and do, but I think that you will be able to find them out for yourselves. Which resort will you be going to? that will halp determine what activities you can get to from that resort. just be prepared for a vacation that you will remember for the rest of your lives. Welcome to the family.

Richie

During the day, even with 70-80% occupancy, I never thought that CTI was crowded. There are different vibes amongst the guests, but the overall vibe was social and friendly. Being from NY, I'm always amazed how many people talk to you there. Both the staff and guests are very friendly. There's two vibes on the island as you may have read - party (but not excessively loud) and quiet. Then on the mainland, there are three areas for guests to go - beach, which is fairly social in the water, but quiet on the beach; swimup bar, which can get rowdy; main pool, which I never spent time at, but walking by it was always quiet. So you have each of these separate areas, but they are all located rather close, so you can experience all types of people and atmospheres quickly and conveniently. It also explains the lack of crowds.

All that being said, it truly does depend on the crowd. We usually go midweek to midweek, and see the differences when the old crowd leaves and the new crowd comes in over the weekend.

So seek out and enjoy whatever vibe you may be looking for!

Just back from my first visit to CTI, and I found it MUCH more social then CN and CSA. Also, during the time we were there January 22-26, I found a much younger crowd. LOTS of newlyweds.