Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carry on bag only?

Me and my husband are thinking of only packing one carry on each, but was wondering about coffee and rum that we will want to bring back, we know those items will need to be either checked or shipped. would it be easier to ship coffee and rum back to our house? we are from mass. has anyone else packed this way?

Coffee you could put in the carry on or personal item bag. The rum would depend on whether you have any connections or not. If you are non stop just carry it on in the packing box they give you in the airport.

If you buy them at the airport on the way out of Jamaica, after security... you do not need to check them. Do remember that if you have a connection in the US on the way back you will need to check the liquids before going through security again after customs and immigration. If you flight home from JA in non-stop you can carry it on as long as you bought it in the secure area of the airport near your departure gate. There are lots of places to buy booze and coffee at Sangster after security. BTW- You will usually find that the prices at the airport are not the much different from other places you might buy those things in Jamaica.
    Have fun!

My husband and I did one carry on each this past Dec. We were at CSA for 8 nights. There is a thread on here by Pam and a list of what she and her hubby take. You can search for carry on packing list. She was our inspiration We don't bother with rum and coffee. They sell blue mountain coffee on Amazon, rum at our liquor store It was so nice to breeze thru customs and not have to wait on bags!!!! More than makes up for the duty free savings!

Nah, just make the room for it & make sure you claim it....

We just went in January, and did carry-ons on the way down. On the return trip we checked our bags, then bought coffee & rum in the duty free shops in the airport and carried them on board. We found the prices in the airport shops as good or better than those outside, and we didn't have to lug the stuff very far.

Many folks here travel to Jamaica with only carry on luggage. We, or at least mrs. dirtleg, could not accomplish this on a bet. Too many girl necessities for her. I think I could swing it, but I am not sure. Haven't tried.

As far as bringing back coffee and rum, as long as you have room in your bag it will work out. You can carry the rum outside of your bags from MoBay to the states. But if you have to change planes to continue your travels within the states you will have to pack the rum in checked bags. Liquid limits by the TSA ya know. I'm sure some good ideas will be posted. Watch your thread.

Have a great trip!

Shipping would be expensive.

If you're only planning on buying coffee, pack a collapsible duffle that you might want to check on the way back home.

If you're planning on buying booze at the dutyfree, keep this in mind as you work your way through the logistics. You can carry the stuff on to your flight. However, you MUST pack it into your checked baggage when you reclaim it at your first stop here in the US. If your first stop is your home airport, you may still need to pack it into a checked bag prior to entering customs (depending on airport policy).

Hope that helps...

Enjoy...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I have no idea the best way to get stuff back home if you're not checking. But seriously...you rock!!! I wish I could get away with just a carry on. You inspire me!

Shipping = Expensive. If you're going to bring stuff back, bring a duffel bag or something to check at the airport.

As far as getting all your clothes/liquids/shoes, etc in a carry-on, while some can do it, all I have to say is hahahahahahahaa.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

My wife and I have done carry-on only to Jamaica many times. However when the rules on flying with liquids changed we started checking a bag on the way to JA that has all our sunblock, wife's hair products, bug spray, shaving cream, and even a couple of our 'last year's' tennis racquets. Then we donate the tennis racquets to a youth tennis program when we leave and give away whatever useful liquids we might have left. This leaves us free to use the bag we checked on the way down to a carry-on and go home with only carry-on. It's a good thing to avoid the checkin lines at Sangster! If we print our boarding passes at the resort we go straight to our gate.
    We have gone carry-on only and still not worn everything we brought. You just don't need that much really.
    Good travels!

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    Shipping = Expensive. If you're going to bring stuff back, bring a duffel bag or something to check at the airport.

As far as getting all your clothes/liquids/shoes, etc in a carry-on, while some can do it, all I have to say is hahahahahahahaa.
    LOVE IT. There are so many who DO it and I don't know how. I don't think we pack a lot, compared to some, and we go for only 6 days but there is NO WAY we could do only carry on either. And I don't even wear make up or anything like that!

If you plan to have stuff shipped you might as well order it online. Shipping is not cheap.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Funny, I see this on almost every forum and I have the same reaction...a giggle!

Why do you want to just have a carry-on? Unless you have a private transfer to your resort, you are going to end up waiting for me, while I retrieve my checked baggage!

So, for anyone arriving at MoBay on 30April around 2pm, grab an extra Red Stripe in the Lounge, I will be along as soon as I can and I apologize in advance!

lol

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Deniseatbeach View Post
    Funny, I see this on almost every forum and I have the same reaction...a giggle!

Why do you want to just have a carry-on? Unless you have a private transfer to your resort, you are going to end up waiting for me, while I retrieve my checked baggage!

So, for anyone arriving at MoBay on 30April around 2pm, grab an extra Red Stripe in the Lounge, I will be along as soon as I can and I apologize in advance!

lol

Denise
    NP with that....more often than not, by the time you get through immigration, your bags will be waiting for you anyway...that is why we don't worry about it too much. For us, it wouldn't hurry anything up. We get through immigration, our bags are waiting and we grab then and head to the lounge. Have fun when you go....and giggle again.

Our bags have always been waiting for us once we got through all the walkways and then immigration at the airport. I would just as soon take more than I need and have stuff, than be without. But that is just me.
    Vicky

Thank you everyone! My husband wants to do the carry on, and I like the idea of packing a bag to check on the way back for coffee, rum and a few things we pick up in jamaica. we plan on spending most of the time in a bathing suit and dressing up only 3 nights so only 3 small dresses and braiding my hair there, not big on make up so not too much to bring

I am considering carry one only this time sawed have to change planes in Charlotte with a one hour layover. I am worried about missing our connection. So much for bringing some rum cream home.

I am headed back to CSA in August (soooo excited!) and plan on taking a carry-on only. I did this 2 years ago on my first trip to CSA and it was the best decision ever! So easy to just grab-n-go!

On the way home we were advised by folks at the airport check-in counter to pack our small bottle of rum in one of our bags and check the bag. We were going home so it wasn't as worrisome if the bag ended up lost or something so we checked it without thinking twice. Grabbed it at airport in the states and checked it again for our connecting flight.

Seemed easier to just check it from the start vs trying to get through with it "in hand" and risk them taking it away or something.
    http://tinypic.com/a/19if6/3 - pix from CSA 8/18-8/25

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    I am considering carry one only this time sawed have to change planes in Charlotte with a one hour layover. I am worried about missing our connection. So much for bringing some rum cream home.
    Changing planes is not a big deal. Your bags will be transferred to the connecting plane for you, you do not have to collect your checked bags at Charlotte and re-check them on the connecting flight. I got the impression that is what was concerning you. The only bag you have to move yourself is your carry on. You do not even have to go through security again as you will not be leaving the secure area of the Charlotte airport to change planes. We went through Charlotte for the first time last year, quick and simple. The only issue we had was US Air delayed our connecting flight by about 90 minutes. Oy.

Hello Dirtleg neighbor,
    Things must have changed. The direct charter flight is no problem. The last few times when we transferred in Miami we had to collect our bags and recheck them.
    Mike and Kathy

dirtleg,
    I am glad to hear of the change at Charlotte about baggage coming back from Jamaica. I wish it had been that way while we were still using USAirways through CLT! Our last one was just over a year ago and by time we did all we had to do with claiming luggage, immigration, customs, rechecking luggage, going through security, and getting to our gate... our connection was long gone! Most times we did not miss our connection, but we have done that several times with a connecting flight from MBJ to IAD through Charlotte and every single time we had to go through Immigration, collect luggage, go through Customs, and recheck bags before going on to try to make our connections. Once we saw a couple with booze they had bought at Sangster have to ditch it because it would not fit in their luggage and they couldn't carry it through security to get back to the gates.
    The change you mention would have been a welcome one! I would consider going back to it if they continue with the system you described!
    When did they start this new system?
    Thanks!

Going to Jamaica, we have never had to claim and recheck bags using Delta and US Air. Returning, you do have to claim and recheck you bags at your first destination point. Then you claim, go through customs and then typically the recheck area is right past customs--you don't go through ticketing etc again like when you are departing.
    Vicky

If your return flight takes you thru Atlanta, you have to wait for your bags and re-check. If your layover is long enough, no problem. I just really enjoyed walking off the plane and breezing thru to my next gate. Maybe should look into Charlotte, you go thru security again at ATL!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    Changing planes is not a big deal. Your bags will be transferred to the connecting plane for you, you do not have to collect your checked bags at Charlotte and re-check them on the connecting flight. I got the impression that is what was concerning you. The only bag you have to move yourself is your carry on. You do not even have to go through security again as you will not be leaving the secure area of the Charlotte airport to change planes. We went through Charlotte for the first time last year, quick and simple. The only issue we had was US Air delayed our connecting flight by about 90 minutes. Oy.
    When did the system change in Charlotte? We flew home through there in September and we had to get our checked bags after going through immigration, take them through customs and then recheck them. Then we had to go back through security.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast