Default More Photo Contest Mistakes!

Well, just when we thought it was all going to be sorted out, another big mistake has been made in the photo contest. It all started when the winners for November were chosen from the month of December entries. It seemed like it was going to be corrected when it was posted that they would put November and January contests together, and choose 3 winners from each of those 2 months.

So what did they do?? They chose another 3 winners from the month of December again, and 3 from January! So, there have now been 6 winners chosen from the month of December entries, 2 of these winning 3 free nights, and still no winners have been chosen from the month of November.

How could this possibly have happened again????
    (Karen&Paul)

They are on Jamaica time...we aren't. That is how. LUCKY THEM

I gave up entering a long time ago. It's very subjective and at one point if you didn't submit a wedding Picture you had no chance. At least it seems the picks are more varied these days.

The one who won in November was actually posted on the last day of November but it was in the wrong thread so it was compared to the December photos that had already been posted. The other November photos were never looked at until they redid it and the ones that were submitted in December after the mistake were never looked at either. They should have just picked three new winners from all three months.

I am not sure how this was a mistake, as we all know that the photo contest winners are very subjective, unless you are feeling that you should have won for November and didn't. I would really not worry about it. As someone else stated, I gave up a long time ago trying to win the photo contest. There are some that I have thought that should have won (not mine) and didn't.

It's not really a photo contest, but a marketing tool for the resorts. They pick either the photos that they can use to sell their properties or ones that their panel of non-professional "photographers" think are the most outrageous. At one point they said in the rules that the photos have to have been taken on one of the resorts, but there have been winners from photos take off the resorts. Also, most photo contests require that the submitter must have taken the photos themselves, but several of the winning photos are pictures of the couple submitting the photo and obviously taken by someone else.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dandj View Post
    I gave up entering a long time ago. It's very subjective and at one point if you didn't submit a wedding Picture you had no chance. At least it seems the picks are more varied these days.
    I agree. Also, some have one that are clearly profession photos--namely wedding entries. Oh well. Still love Couples and still going.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    I agree. Also, some have one that are clearly profession photos--namely wedding entries. Oh well. Still love Couples and still going.
    Yeah...still absolutely LOVE Couples, but beginning to hate the message board and their contests!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

While I am not a fan of the photo contests(I always lose),I do like the contests..It's fun to see the photos and read the remarks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Same pictures

It does seem like the same type of pictures get picked a lot. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place pictures do not have a lot of variation to them. Like how many times has a picture of the Bayside restaurant from CTI won or been in the top three, or a picture looking out towards Tower Isle. I mean do not get me wrong they are great pictures but how many times can the same type of picture win? I love the photo contest because I can look at other peoples wonderful pictures and it reminds me of home. I think with the amount of beautiful places at all four resorts there should be a little more variation of great pictures being selected.

I enjoy the photos. I just don't know why it had to become a contest because as always, there are those that skirt the rules.
    Vicky

Hello everyone,

Sorry you are getting frustrated. There are two of us choosing the 10 ten photos for our staff to vote on, and November winners came from Dec. We are in the process of rectifying this.

We do not pick pictures we think we can use for marketing purposes; if there have been "professional" pictures chosen it wasn't our intention. In fact, we say they have to be your own photos--I guess we just assume people will follow the rules.

I agree with you that some variety would be nice. Unfortunately, we get the same type of pictures. The contest used to be every 2 months, and I thought it would be a good idea to have it every month (more chances for you all to win) But the picture variety is limited.

We are looking for creative, romantic, beautiful pictures. There are some beautiful sunsets, but everyone submits one and they are all similar, so I don't pick them because how can I pick one over another. Unless it is a truly unbelievable sunset, it most likely wont win. There are some beautiful feet, but the feet in the sand, the feet on a hammock, the feet on a lounge chair will not be selected. We get about 20 "Bob Marley shot" pictures, they haven't ever been selected. There has been discussion about going back to once every two months, and I am trying to prevent that.

I understand your frustration, but there is a lack of variety in photos. Also, please do not submit blurry photos...there have been some good ones, but they are blurry.

Be creative, be romantic, be unique.
    Last edited by Seandymon; February 21st, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Regards,
    Seandymon
    Romance Rewards and Preferred Agency Program
    Couples Resorts!

My wife and I have won twice (3rd and 2nd place) and I do not want to toot my own horn but the pictures we submitted were original and creative... I agree with seeing some of the pictures win but have to see it from the side of Sean and what he has to pick from and I for one do NOT want to see the photo contest go away... it is something that Couples does that is a very special and unique perk... and for those who do not want to submit a picture... get creative and it would require the same amount of energy that it took to post in this thread to submit the picture.. you never know you might be a WINNER

I, like TW, enjoy the contest & viewing everyone photos. We had the distinct pleasure & awesome surprise of winning once ~ year ago for a picture we submitted from a January trip. Couples does not need to run a photo contest, it's yet another example of Couples going above & beyond for their guests & loyalists. Thank you Couples (& Seandymon) for everything you do. Razzl (54 days but who's counting? lol!)

Sean, I have 3 problems with the photo contest. First of all, how did it happen that the same mistake was made 2 months in a row, that being, the pictures for the November contest being chosen from the month of December, twice. The mistake was well pointed out by many people on the board the first time it happened. With all of those comments, I would think those responsible for the contest would have been very careful in making sure that problem was corrected.

Secondly, the rules are simple, 3 pictures may be submitted. Why are posts allowed with more than 3 pictures?

And finally, why does it take so long for the winners of each month to be chosen? If there is a person, or persons, responsible for selecting the winners, why can't they make that a priority at the beginning of the next month? If the people responsible are too busy to get at the task for a few weeks, then can't someone who is less busy be assigned to the job? From our end, with the mistakes being made, and the length of time being taken each month for the winners to be announced, it seems like the photo contest is of very low priority.

I think all of us who submit pictures very much enjoy doing so, and also enjoy looking at other pictures from our favourite resorts, and the possibility of winning 3 free nights is quite exciting. Perhaps those running the contest could be more diligent in the selection process?

We love Couples, and we very much enjoy the opportunity
    (Karen&Paul)

All I can say KarenOn is that we are human, and the mistake was made. We will be posting November winners shortly. It isn't a one step process; we have to have staff vote on it, and we are quite busy trying to make sure everything goes smoothly on your vacation. I believe this is more important. We do not have a separate photo contest staff that comes in once a month to work on the contest.

The photo contest is a fun opportunity to share photos, and win some prizes. The results get posted when we have the opportunity, it isn't our number one priority. We are quite diligent in selecting the photos when we get to it.

We could go back to every 2 months, or remove the contest entirely if it is causing such headaches.
    Regards,
    Seandymon
    Romance Rewards and Preferred Agency Program
    Couples Resorts!

Quote Originally Posted by Seandymon View Post

We could go back to every 2 months, or remove the contest entirely if it is causing such headaches.
    Please don't.

Some of this smacks of sour grapes, and you made GREAT points on why certain pics aren't chosen in the post preceding this one.

My only gripe are the photos that obviously are 3rd party, and the "here's 5 entries" mess. Knock those out and you've got a level playing field.

First- Professional pictures…. Sean, you say “if there have been "professional" pictures chosen it wasn't our intention. In fact, we say they have to be your own photos--I guess we just assume people will follow the rules.” Are you really telling me, you and the other person picking the pictures cannot tell a difference?
    Second- Rules clearly state “Entering more than 3 photos per contest will result in disqualification”. Let’s refer back to monitoring and approving such posts. How do these entries get posted in the first place, then to have a winner picked out of a post with more than 3 pictures?
    Third- The rules say “from your Couples vacation” yet, look at some of the winners… Snow in Jamaica… REALLY???? While these photos are very creative, they should not be considered because they do not meet the contest rules.
    THIS IS ALL VERY frustrating to those of us that play by the rules.
    Sean you also state “We do not pick pictures we think we can use for marketing purposes” Yet here again, when we post our pictures we “grant Couples Resorts free unrestricted permission to use the photos in its name and to re-use, publish and re-publish the same, in whole or in part, individually or in conjunction with other photographs in print catalogs, mailings, magazine print advertisements and any and all advertising materials.” ****You may not use them, but we still have to agree to this. ******* Personally a couple of your “honorable mentions” might look really nice in your brochures.
    I’m not 100% sure what you mean by “variety” would be nice…. I for one have seen beautiful, unique pictures posted that do not win, But when the winners are chosen, it’s the same photos of Bayside at night with a pretty moon (refer to last few year winners) You say you don’t pick sunsets because they are all beautiful – again refer to past winners…. Variety would be those photos getting “honorable mention” those photos are some of the most beautiful unique photos, yet look at the photos that won.
    PLEASE!!!!!!!!! Those that won do not think I don’t like your pretty pictures because I DO!!! and DO NOT take this post personally, it’s NOT about you, it’s about those sticking their head in sand… for lack of better words. And allowing what suppose to be a fun thing “sour” those of us that have always played by the rules.
    This contest does not change my feelings about Couples, I will still vacation there because I love it. 228 days and counting.

Ok, I have my kevlar helmet, vest & gloves on. I'm ready to stand in front of the firing squad for this post. .....Seriously RESPECT to all.

I love the contests that the Message Board runs, so please do not stop what you are doing. I don't understand why everyone is getting so upset about a FREE contest to win FREE stuff! Get over it people, mistakes happen. If you are unhappy with the process then stop posting your pics. I have yet to win anything, but that will not stop me from posting my pictures in hopes of one day winning the ultimate prize......free nights at a beautiful Couples Resort.

Wow.

I will review the "rules" for our voluntary photo contest. Effective April, we will revert back to every other month, so April/May with winner selected in June; June/July-winner selected in August; August//September-winner selected in October; etc, etc.

Couples Resorts