Default Alternatives to Tipping

Its been a while since I've seen this come up and we're counting the days till we leave for CSS. (55 more sleeps) When we went to CSS last year we brought some goodie bags for those folks that went above and beyond as well as some who helped us with our wedding. The bags included things like Hershey Bars, ibuprofen, coloring books & crayons, cold meds, flip flops, spray stuff for the guys, lotion for the ladies and more. There is no way my husband is going to let me take an entire bag of goodies down like we did last year. I'm starting my collection of items that are MUCH smaller this year. I'm bringing some inexpensive reading glasses, Hershey bars, big and bold earrings for the ladies and some bottles of ibuprofen. Does anyone else do this? If yes, what do you bring and how do you hand them out? I was very discreet about it as I didn't want to upset anyone.

Last spring was our first trip to Couples and I brought a bag of Hershey Kisses. I left them for housekeeping and the guy that refilled our mini bar.
    I'd like to hear what others have done.

We are going to CSA in 20 days for the first time but have been to the Carribean a few times now, we are taking with us some `England` football shirts as we know the guys love them and some perfume and smellies as well as big bars of chocolate for the women

Cannot wait to experience this resort as it sounds so great on these message boards, hope you enjoy your holiday

Di & Karl

Generally being friendly, patient, and respectful to the staff members is very much appreciated and is all that is necessary.

In addition I have found that a kind word to management about any staff members who went the extra mile to make your stay special is a good thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by mkcouple View Post
    We are going to CSA in 20 days for the first time but have been to the Carribean a few times now, we are taking with us some `England` football shirts as we know the guys love them and some perfume and smellies as well as big bars of chocolate for the women

Cannot wait to experience this resort as it sounds so great on these message boards, hope you enjoy your holiday

Di & Karl
    Good ideas! I'm always trying to come up with something for the guys. You'll have to let us know what you think of the resort although I doubt very much you'll be disappointed! It really is lovely.

yes, we always take things and leave for the maids almost every day

usually, kid stuff

paper, coloring books, crayons, markers, deck of cards, hats, small toys

we typically book our trips in early April, so I take along all the Easter chocolate that always seems to accumulate at our house (we have two young boys) along with me and hand baggies of them out to staff with a pre-written, signed note saying that it is a gift from us so the staff will be allowed to take it off the property. Last year one of the CN entertainment staff members took her baggie with her on her day off to give to her nephew and nieces. All the staff really enjoyed the treats!

I just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has any suggestions from their recent trip. All ideas are welcomed . Last time I stayed, I made sure to write down the names of all the staff (I could remember) on exit survey. I also brought some chocolates for housekeeping. We are going to Couples Negril (that's where we stayed last time). What about the entertainment staff? We tend to spend a lot of time with them.

Thanks!
    Counting down the days until June 15th

We use one of the water glasses and fill it with chocolates each day with a note for the HOUSEKEEPER (they're not "maids") and mini bar staff, and replenish it daily. We keep the bags in the fridge to keep the little ants at bay. We also take some to our friends at the spa (YES WE TIP OUR SPA MASSEUSE VERY WELL IN CASH AS THIS IS ALLOWED). We took gifts for one of our favorite servers who had a new baby, along with a note outlining our names and room number as is required. We've taken birthday gifts for friend's children, along with the accompanying notes with our names and room number.

As has been stated ad-nauseum...don't tip. You don't want these wonderful people to lose their jobs.

We brought some chocolates and school supplies. We would leave them with a note. Some of the housekeeping even wrote thank you notes back.

We always take Dove chocolate. We give it to the maids, turn down service, security guards, and even a couple of kids that sang in one of the beach bands with their family one day.

Life is good

Unopened bottles of over-the-counter (adult and child) ibuprofen, aspirin, cough syrup, cough drops. We became friendly with one of the bartenders, and he had hurt his knee playing football. We had a bottle of (opened) ibuprofen which we gave him. He was beyond happy, as these meds cost a LOT in Jamaica….

They usually appreciate most anything, however, if you know their names, please write them down on the exit survey. I know they also appreciate that. I remember one year, we had a very bubbly waitress one night, and I forgot to write her name down so I would have it for the exit survey (I am terrible at remembering names, but usually can remember faces). So the next night I saw her at the restaurant again, and went to find her to get her name before we left. When I asked her for it so I could add it to the survey at the end of the night she was ever so happy and grateful, and just kept saying "thank you". This does mean something to them.
    Linda

Thank you so much for all the ideas!

We usually bring ball caps for the guys, lotions/earrings for the ladies.Also, can't forget the sweets, mini chocolate bars, candy, gum. We too bring a few school supplies along. This year reading the above posted as well as other forums I will be buying small travel sized first aid and medicine supplies. I also make sure to write our name and room number when giving/leaving these lil gifts.
    Cheers

This is ways a touchy subject with some......first and foremost be sure to write down the names of staff members you feel go above and beyond. We took Hershey bars and left for housekeeping everyday with a little note that said something like thank you have a great day. I am a quilter so we took a couple of them last visit, I gave one to Mama Vera on the cat cruise and left one for our housekeeping on the day we were checking out with a note thanking her for taking such good care of us. Housekeeping is a great bunch of ladies, they work hard and we always had fresh towels and our bed was turned down every night with a card on it. Will do the same this year.

Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

We brought school supplie last time we went and they loved it!!

Bought some goodies today! Can't wait to give/hand them out! Got a little crazy this year, but it's all good. So excited to return to Negril since being away since 2011. Now, I just gotta figure out how to put it all in my carry-on...lol

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    with a note outlining our names and room number as is required. As has been stated ad-nauseum...don't tip. You don't want these wonderful people to lose their jobs.
    Who do you give the note to with the room number and names? Why is this required????

CSS April 29-May 10, 2013

You give your name and room number in case the employee is questioned about gift.

It's for vetting with management. It's proof these kind folks acquired the items as a gift.

Bump!! these are very good suggestions as an alternative to tipping. I will be bringing School supplies and candy for Housekeeping.

Having made friends with on the the employees at CSS, we learned Housekeeping get most of the gifts. Don't forget about all the other hard working staff!! It's easy to leave something on the bed for housekeeping, but spend some time and reward the others as well. Even if just through a handshake, smile, and thankyou.
    And most definatley, record their names on your checkout form!

I have 5 small bags for every nite we are there. This is what I will be bringing...
    ~bag w/ toothbrushes, floss.
    ~bag w/ fun hats for the kids.
    ~bag w/ shirts for the staff.
    ~bag w/ chocos for the staff.
    ~bag w/ more goodies for the staff.
    Can't wait to pay it forward!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011