Default Need Help on the Notarized Birth Certificate

Can anyone help? I know I need to make a copy of my birth certificate and have it notarized. Where did you go to have that done? I'm having a hard time finding someone who will do it. I do have the birth certificate with the seal on it. I don't get why we can't just make a copy of it and send it in. Thanks in advance............. Lisa

Default birth cert.

hello,

every town all has a notary, i would start there first. Also if you google notary and where you live a list will generally pop up.

david

I am a notary. The reason we cannot notarize your birth certificate is because the copy you already have is a certified copy. The master certificate is held by your state's department of vital records. It is illegal to notarize a certified copy. We had to send our actual birth certificates and just ordered new one's from the state. It's a pain. Here in PA, it's not that bad. Cost $10 (xtra for expedited delivery) and took less than 1 week to arrive. Hope this helps.

Ms. Wed-Ting Guest

Hi tazzy817,
    Every state is different when it comes to notarizing the a xeroxed copy of the certified birth certificate. Most states will allow notaries to provide this for you, but others will not. The reason for this requirement - The Jamaican government retains all the documents so you will not receive these back and so we don't want to take your original if we don't have too and they need to know that the xerox copy originated from an authentic document. I hope that helps.

The notary at my bank mentioned something about obtaining a document/form that could be notorized stating that the xerox copy is of the certified original. I just have no clue where this form is and they told me that it would come from the requester. Does anyone know what this is or where it could be obtained?

Hi Tazzy817

You might want to check with your parish priest they may be able to notarize it for you. As a priest, here in Nova Scotia,I am able to notarize a copy of a birth certificate as long as I see the original. I just indicate on the copy that I swear that it is a srtified true copy of the original. Yu might alos check with your doctor, he may ne able to notarize forms.

Hope this helps.

You can obtain a duplicate certified copy of your birth certificate through the "department of vital statistics" of the state in which you were born. Do a web search and you will find they all have a site. In the case of Mass, it looks like the process takes 7-10 days plus shipping time. When my wife and I got married at CSA, we had to get hers from CA, and it was over 2 months to get one. I myself, was born in WA and can walk into any county court-house (in WA) and get one in just a few minutes. Not sure where you were born, so check it out. I was always confused about this too, because as far as I know, Notaries verify who is signing a document, not the document itself, but don't quote me on that. Good luck

Thanks everyone for the help!!!!!!

If the birth certificate you have has the sticker/seal on it and was from the hospital, then it is not an official copy nor is it recognized as a legal document. You would need to request a notarized copy from your town of birth. If you live near there and can pick it up at the courthouse, it usually only takes a day or two and a few dollars. Otherwise you can request to have one sent but it generally takes longer depending on the courthouse.

My bank would not do it so I asked around and found a friend of a friend who was a notary and she did it. Maybe it wasnt legal but it was accepted and turned out fine. There are a ton of people that are notary's. Just ask around you should be able to find someone that will do it! Its really silly if you ask me. I told the bank lady who wouldn't do it, we are getting married not joining the army & going to war or anything come on!!!

Thanks Again Everyone!!!! I actually ended up going to my town hall and got a new Birth Certficate for $10.00. My fiance did the same thing. We are keeping our originals and going to send the new ones in. It's much easier than running around and wasting time.

Quote Originally Posted by tangles66 View Post
    My bank would not do it so I asked around and found a friend of a friend who was a notary and she did it. Maybe it wasnt legal but it was accepted and turned out fine. There are a ton of people that are notary's. Just ask around you should be able to find someone that will do it! Its really silly if you ask me. I told the bank lady who wouldn't do it, we are getting married not joining the army & going to war or anything come on!!!
    This thread is so old but i find myself in the exact situation. I hope by some miracle you see this because i have some questions about getting my copy notarized.