Default Bringing Rum Home to BWI Airport

We are lucky to have a direct flight home from MBJ to BWI. I would like to buy some Appleton rum and rum cream at MJB airport and bring it back as carry-on to BWI.

Does anyone have experience at bringing bottles of liquor through customs at BWI? From what I have read on this board, at some airports you can bring bottles through customs as carry-on, and at other airports you must pack the bottles into checked luggage before going through customs. I am not planning to have room in checked luggage for bottles.

If it can be brought back through carry-on, how much per person could you bring? Thanks!

We have been to Jamaica twice via direct flights between BWI and MJB. We have had no problems bringing Rum and other items back as part of our carry-on's.

Each person is allowed $800 total duty free which includes 2 liters of alcohol. See Customs website for specifics.
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va.../duty_free.xml

Based on my experience, the only time you have to put your duty free liquids in your checked bag is if your first stop in the US is not your last stop (e.g. connecting flight - because you have to go through security again = 3 oz limit)

Couples Negril in 18 more days

You can bring alcohol purchased at the airport onto the plane as a carry-on. The posts you're reading that discuss putting it in checked luggage concern people who have connecting flights. They can carry liquor purchased at the airport on the plane as a carry-on but have to check it after clearing customs and before they go through security for the second leg of their journey home.

Since you have a direct flight, this won't be a concern for you.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Hi,
    You may want to check, but don't believe that the Rum Creams count against the 2 liter limit. If we do a direct, no problem with carry-on, but if we have to have a plane change, then we have to put into checked baggage before checking baggage at the second stop.

Reading the first posted response it sounds like BWI airport is not a problem....but to clarify for people reading this even with direct flights (no connections) for airports other than BWI..check with your arriving airport. We fly direct MBJ to ATL. We buy alcohol in the airport, carry alcohol on the plane, arrive at ATL and go through customs carrying alcohol, claim our checked bags. At this point the alcohol has to go into our checked bag, it goes back on a luggage carousel and travels to the main baggage claim in ATL. We then go through security again, shoes off, liquids out, bags scanned etc and take the train to baggage claim. This is the procedure for all international flights arriving in ATL. Just FYI every airport is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ya Soon View Post
    Reading the first posted response it sounds like BWI airport is not a problem....but to clarify for people reading this even with direct flights (no connections) for airports other than BWI..check with your arriving airport. We fly direct MBJ to ATL. We buy alcohol in the airport, carry alcohol on the plane, arrive at ATL and go through customs carrying alcohol, claim our checked bags. At this point the alcohol has to go into our checked bag, it goes back on a luggage carousel and travels to the main baggage claim in ATL. We then go through security again, shoes off, liquids out, bags scanned etc and take the train to baggage claim. This is the procedure for all international flights arriving in ATL. Just FYI every airport is different.
    If you haven't been there this might not make sense. You have to go through a secure area in order to leave the airport so even if you have a direct flight you and your luggage must go through security again just to leave. That's why you have to put it in your checked luggage before you can leave. It sounds really stupid but I am assuming that when they had to implement the liquid rules they had no other choice due to the layout of the airport. Most airports are not like this though.

Leave it to Atlanta........ LOL I'm sorry, but I just hate the Atlanta airport. :O) Just for reference for anyone who may be flying in to Ft. Lauderdale or Orlando through a direct flight there is no problems mon!!! :O)

Before buying Appleton in Jamaica, you should check your local liquor store. We can get the entire Appleton line here in Colorado, we just can't get the rum cream. So check before you leave home so you don't waste any precious cargo space.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come