Hybrid View

Default Money and the Airport

I'm still in the planning stages of trying to decide how much money to bring to CSS. Because I plan on doing a little exploring off the resort and I need to do some tipping I'm bringing a couple of hundred dollars in cash. Of course broken down into 1's, 5's, 10's and a few 20's my question is has anyone ever had a problem going thru airport security both in the states and Jamaica with large amounts of money? I plan on keeping the money in either my purse or my bf wallet I was just wondering has anybody been harassed or questioned for having large amounts of money. LOL I think because my trip is next month I'm becoming a bit paranoid over what could go wrong.

We usually bring about double that amount in cash and nobody has ever mentioned anything to us. I carry half and my husband carries half. I'm sure people travel every day carrying much more $$ than that!! You'll be fine! Go and enjoy your vacation!

We always take a couple of hundred dollars for both of us.I will put about $20 in my wallet in small bills and the rest in another part of my carry on. I don't carry a purse on the plane. Come to think of it, I don't carry a purse to Jamaica anymore. Anyway, just my wallet and the rest of the cash in another secure location. That way when I pull out my wallet to pay or tip, the person I am doing business with doesn't see a wad of bills, even though they are usually $1's and $5's. I use my camera case when we do excursions to carry my cash and id. My wallet sits in the safe.
    Vicky

No way - on our honeymoon we had a ton of wedding cash, and we had no problem. Since then, we've been to Jamaica a few more times and we always bring a few hundred $$. No one will be the wiser unless you're counting it in full view or something. I'm pretty sure any amount less than $10K is legal anyway. No worries.

There is not a limit to how much cash you can take with you out of the states. I dont know if jamaica has a limit on to how much you take in. A few hundred dollars wont get you a second look, we went with 300. I would split money between you and BF just incase one of you lost it though.

On the way back if you have more than $10,000 you have to declare it with customs.

We usually take a couple thousand because I don't like to charge anything and prefer to pay cash for everything. You won't have any issue with taking a few hundred.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    We usually take a couple thousand because I don't like to charge anything and prefer to pay cash for everything. You won't have any issue with taking a few hundred.
    I thought all the couples resorts were cashless. Can I charge things to my room then during check out pay for it in cash?

We usually take $500 and come back with at least half of it. We always end up just relaxing and enjoying being at the resort and resting up.

We take twice that much in cash with no problems .... Just a suggestion but we split it into 3 or 4 places ... Some in my billfold, some in hubby's wallet, some in an envelope in my travel docs folder, & sometimes even put some in a envelope in a book down in my carry on bag .... that way if we lose a wallet or something, we still have cash. No worries about the amount, though. I think it asks you on the immigration/customs form if you're carrying $10,000 in cash ...... That's never been an issue for us .... LOL!
    Julie

I work for TSA and 10,000 is the limit of US curency allowed to be traveled with if you plan on bringing even a dollar more be prepared for interegation.....there are forms for carrying 10k or more but I doubt any of us are traveling with that kind of cash

Actually, there IS a top dollar amount that you can carry with you internationally... but trust me... its much more than what you and I would consider "walking around" money... I believe the maximum is $10k.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We bring %$500 and come home with half of it. I would never bring $2000 in cash. A credit card is safer. If it is stolen you can call the company immediately. If cash is stolen you have no recourse.

I would NOT bring that much cash. You can use credit cards everywhere except for the vendors on the beach and a few tips that you have to pay for luggage handling.

You can easily get by with $200 or even less

You can take up to 10k with no questions asked. And even if the TSA asks, tell them it is none of their darn business.

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    You can take up to 10k with no questions asked. And even if the TSA asks, tell them it is none of their darn business.
    Yeah, that'll work. They always take "no" for an answer!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015