Default Absolutely wonderful!

We just left Couples Negril on Thursday, having to cut our trip short due to my getting ill while there on vacation. I had an allergic asthmatic reaction to something and found myself unable to breathe on Wednesday night. My husband and I were both very scared and my husband called the nurse. I was unable to breathe, and could not get to the nurse's station on my own. As a result, she came to our room with oxygen and managed to get me into a golf cart and back down to the nurse's station for further evalaution. The nurse, Keneisha, was so calm and professional, and VERY helpful. She called the doctor who came to the resort. He gave me some steroid injections and a couple of breathing treatments. That seemed to get me over the hump. The doctor suggested that I go to the hospital in Montego Bay, but because the hospital would not accept our insurance, and services would have to be paid for at the time they were rendered, we opted to fly home early. We took a chance, but made it home. We just want to thank Keneisha for EVERYTHING she did, from bringing us food back to the room the night of the "incident" and sitting with us until I was settled in, to returning first thing in the morning to take my vitals and check on me. She also saw that we both got breakfast in our room before we left on our return trip home. She is truly a wonderful kind and skilled nurse and the resort is fortunate to have her.

Also, the Front Desk staff called the room a couple of times first thing on Thursday morning to check on us, and to see if there was anything we needed.

I hope you are doing OK ?

That is an awesome story!!! One question- have you had asthmatic reactions before?

I hope all is well now. Being an RN and seeing asthma attacks I can't imagine having that happen away from home. Glad to hear how well you were treated by the nurse at CN. Again I hope you are doing well now.

this should go on the "what should I not forget to bring" thread: RESCUE INHALER

Default Doing better, thanks!

Made it home on the plane and got through two airports (thought we would never make it!) The nurse, Keneisha, was absolutely marvelous. The doctor was ok too, but nothing like talking to your own doctor to get a better perspective on things. My doc talked me into coming home and said if I had problems with the breathing, to ask the airline to drop the oxygen mask for me for the ride. I didn't have to do that, fortunately, but there were times I thought I might. No, I had never had an asthma attack before. My doctor thought it was some sort of allergic asthma attack. And you are correct - when you leave home, bring a rescue inhaler (even if you aren't asthmatic). They put me on Prednisone in Negril before I left. That helped also. I'd also bring antibiotics from home . . . just in case. We learned our lesson. Thanks for asking. Hope you enjoy your stay! What a beautiful place!

Lily and John

Oh, wow - that sounds terrible but I'm not surprised the staff at CN went above and beyond to take care of you. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you get to go back soon without any other "incidents"!!

My husband became ill while we were at CTI for our 25th anniversary. The nurse (I think her name was Annette or Nanette) did an amazing job-called the doctor who came to the resort, she was very thorough-hooked him up to an IV in our room for the day as he was dehydrated-although the doctor did not accept our insurance we were charged $250.00 which included meds.-submitted her bill to our health insurance carrier when we returned and only had to pay a $20.00 copay. CTI and staff went above and beyond for him in his predicament.

Lily,

So glad you are doing okay. That sounds so scary, especially being far from home. Having been through this, I highly recommend getting allergy testing so you can figure out what caused the reaction. Also, perhaps an epi-pen should be right next to that rescue inhaler in your carry-on bag. Best wishes!

This is a perfect example of why you should get trip insurance. You never know what is going to happen and your State side insurance doesn't always cover any out of State claims.

I've also had to use the Dr and Nurse at CN and they were both fabulous. Plus CN took such good care of me for the remainder of my trip.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come