Default Camera & few other questions

16 days until my hubby and I are in paradise!! So excited. Been longing to go to Jamaica for many years.

I have a very nice SLR camera that I would love to take on vacation with us. It takes way better pictures than my Kodak Easyshare but not sure it will be safe for me to have it at the resort. Looking at the pictures in the photo contest it appears others are using nice cameras. Should I leave it home & just bring my small one?

Weather - I've been looking at other posts and don't see anything so hope I didn't just miss it. What is the weather like the last weekend in March?

Birthday - My husband will have his birthday while we are at Couples. Any suggestions on what I could plan for his birthday? The only thing I've found is a couples massage and I'm not sure he will enjoy it as much as I would

If you enjoy taking pictures, take your SLR camera. I recently bought a DSLR camera and wished I had went ahead and bought it before our CSA trip last November. I'm kicking myself for not having it to take!! If you're worried about it being safe or not, I wouldn't worry about that. If anything it would be more of a hassle to carry around...

Have fun!

I would (and do) bring both. Sometimes you want a small one and will probably wish you had it. I would not worry about the safety of the camera as far as other people, it's the elements you have to worry about but even that isn't bad. Be careful when cleaning it because of all the sand. Bring some silica gel packets like from shoe boxes to keep in your camera bag too. Those are very helpful for keeping the moisture out and keeping the lens from fogging up too much when going back and forth between the air conditioning and outside.

I tried to discourage my wife from bringing her DSLR, becasue of the weight, size, safety, etc. Boy am I glad she insited. MANY of the guests were carrying expensive DSLRs and SLRs. The safe in the room kept our camera housed when it wasn't around her neck (which was most of the time) Definitely bring the good camera. I highly recommend.

NickAndrea: We're heading to CN on March 26; will you guys be there? It'll be our first time and we can't wait. Hope you have a great trip! Tim and Tam

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Bring some silica gel packets like from shoe boxes to keep in your camera bag too. Those are very helpful for keeping the moisture out and keeping the lens from fogging up too much when going back and forth between the air conditioning and outside.
    I have been looking for a solution to that problem! Good idea. Does it work pretty well?

Your camera will be safe in your room. Outside of your room I suggest you keep it with you or in view. Some friends had left a camera on the table when we all got up to dance in the Palms at the evening entertainment. When we returned to the table the camera was gone. They were upset about the camera, a small Canon digital, but even more important to them were the pictures lost. This was several years ago and was an isolated incident, but I have read similar reports on the message board a couple of times over the years. Definitely not a regular occurrence, but also worth keeping in mind for the security of a valuable camera, not to mention the photos that are irreplaceable.

The problem of fogging was mentioned above. This is an issue you will definitely run into. It will occur when taking the camera out of your air conditioned room into the heat and humidity of the outdoors. You will have to let your camera acclimate itself for several minutes before using it when you take it outside. The lens will fog and you will probably see some light condensation on the body of your camera. Allow it to warm up naturaly and the fog and condensate will clear up. I would not recommend trying to dry the lens with a cloth as it will simply fog up again till it reaches the ambient temperature of the surrounding air. There may be an issue when going back into the A/C as well. But not as bad. Also be very careful of sand, and lotion or oil from sun screen.

As for the birthday, my advice is to let him relax for the day. Try not to push him to do anything he doesn't seem very willing to do without being nudged into it. A birthday in Jamaica will be pretty hard to mess up though. But that's just me.

The weather should be wonderful!

Hope you get some great photos, and have a great trip!
    Last edited by dirtleg; March 12th, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff542 View Post
    I have been looking for a solution to that problem! Good idea. Does it work pretty well?
    It does! You can buy them but I just keep the ones that come in the shoe boxes or whatever. Whenever I get one I throw it in my camera bag. I always bring a bunch of gallon size ziplocks when we travel too in case I want to bring back a souvenir that might break or if a shampoo bottle leaks and I need an extra for the way home. It's not a bad idea to keep the camera in a ziplock if it is really humid. When I bring my camera down to the beach or on the catamaran I put it in a ziplock in my beach bag. It's not waterproof but it helps with splashing and sand.

Andrea & Nick

I'm a semi pro shooter. We always take at least one of my DSLRs and a point and shoot with us along with several lenses and other gear in our camera backpack. In 16 trips to CSA we've never had a problem regarding security, nor do we worry.

Don't be afraid to use your gear, DSLR equipment is way more durable than we are lead to believe. Camera manufacturers, just like any manufacturer err on the side of caution and conservative. My gear is regularly used in temperatures from -35C to +40C.

Proof
    Canon 20D @ -25C

Canon 5D goes for a swim @ +34C

Take your gear, use it and enjoy!

Cheers, 35 days, 3 hours, 25 minutes 'til our 17th trip!
    Last edited by Tom & Erin; March 13th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Tom & Erin 21x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

As far as the safety for your camera I at no time felt insecure about leaving any of our belongings left alone. When we were at the beach or pool and went in the water I just put it in my beach tote, when we weren't in the room but our camera was I just put it in the safe with all our other valuables for my own peace of mind, but there was no need because I had left some money (about ten dollars) out on a table and it stayed put all week. We also were there for my husbands 40th. We did do a massage, but I also went to guest relations and ordered a birthday cake it was about $20US, they asked what restaurant we would be dining in and the cake would be delivered to that restaurant. If you switch your dining option at the last minute just tell the maitre'd and they will let the kicthen know of the change and deliver it to whatever restaurant you dine at that evening. It was quite awesome because not only did the staff sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY, also all the other guests did. Also, on the night of his birthday, which was Friday we took the Sunset Bar Tour which was to ROCKHOUSE, very worth going to. We were staying at CN. Hopefully this helps.
    Enjoy your trip and Happy Birthday to your hubby
    One Love

Thank you all for the advice on the camera. I feel so much better about taking it with me. Great idea on the silica gel packets.

Tom & Erin - I just "play" with my camera no pro here so knowing you take your equipment reassures me that I can take mine.

Tam - Not sure which resort we will be at since we booked the secret rendezvous (spelling?) Enjoy your stay at Couples!

I am bringing my DSLR on my next trip to CSA, for sure. Our little "point and click" camera didn't take the kinds of pictures I wanted last time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAndrea View Post
    Tom & Erin - I just "play" with my camera no pro here so knowing you take your equipment reassures me that I can take mine.
    Andrea, Nick,
    I don't consider myself a pro by any means but I have clicked a shutter or two.

If you don't already have one, a good investment would be a good quality (B&W, Hoya), circular polarizing (CP), filter to fit your lens(es). Google it's usage and practice a bit with it before you leave. It almost a necessity, especially to render those deep blue skies and water, cut reflections, and increase saturation especially in the tropics. I never travel without mine.

As a second recommendation if you have the extra cash a graduated neutral density filter (ND Grad), or ND Grad kit from Cokin is a good investment too. It goes without saying that using one is the only way to get those fantastic sunset shots.

I'm more than willing to help with shooting questions if you want to email me off list @ teskor-at-tbaytel-dot-net

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 21x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

Bring your SLR! There will be plenty of room in the safe for it when you aren't using it. I'm bringing one of my 50ds and several of my lenses this year. I don't think I would ever bring my Mark III unless I was hired to shoot a wedding. As a professional I am just not satisfied with most of the photos taken with point and shoots. Don't get me wrong I'm brining my point and shoot too. I just bought the underwater housing for it since it was $1000 less than the housing for my SLR. I'm pretty excited to see how it does. My advise is to get several of the silica packets to keep in your camera bag and be sure you clean it really well when you get home. The salt can get in the smallest place and cause damage.