Default Flying from California to MBJ

We're looking to head "home" to Couples in October but we're looking for some advice from people in the Orange County and LA area. We just moved to O.C. from the East Coast and would normally take a nice direct flight from Newark, NJ to MBJ.

However, now on the west we are trying to figure out the best way to get there with a minimal number of connections. We're looking to fly out on a Friday night to hopefully get to MBJ by noon the next day, Saturday. Then we want to be able to leave on a Sunday in the morning/afternoon and get all the way back to O.C. by the evening.

Has anyone done this route lately and would care to share their experience? The best I can find that meets our needs is as follows:

Orange County (5:50 pm Fri) to Phoenix
    Phoenix to Charlotte
    Charlotte to MBJ (11:40 am Sat)

MBJ (3:25 pm Sun) to Dallas/FW
    Dallas/FW to Orange County (10:25 pm Sun)

Thanks!

How about talking to a travel agent? We have used a travel agent for all our trips to Jamaica and she always has the answers to all our questions. Doesn't cost us a penny extra and she has been a great help when we've had a glitch. Last year a couple months before the trip she sent me an email on a Friday afternoon that the airline changed our flight schedule and we had four minutes to make our connection in Atlanta on the way to Montego Bay. In the email she offered up several options for us to choose from, all I had to do was call her and tell her which option we liked and I went back to work. She called the original airline and cancelled the flight, booked a flight on the new airline we chose, cancelled the hotel we had booked for the night before as we also changed airports, booked us a new hotel and also updated our travel insurance as this changed the price of our trip. If I hadn't used a TA I don't know when or how I might have even known about this little "situation" and getting it all squared away certainly would have been more difficult for me than one phone call. A travel agent will be able to give you all your flight options and sometimes ours has even quoted me a cheaper price than what I've been seeing on the internet before calling her...I love to watch the prices for months before it's time to book so I have an idea what it's going to cost.

I dont know if this will help,but we are flying from san diego to la to miami to montego bay on a red eye. If all goes well we will be on the beach by noon the next day. I leave in a few weeks. I will let you know how it goes when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    How about talking to a travel agent? We have used a travel agent for all our trips to Jamaica and she always has the answers to all our questions. Doesn't cost us a penny extra and she has been a great help when we've had a glitch. Last year a couple months before the trip she sent me an email on a Friday afternoon that the airline changed our flight schedule and we had four minutes to make our connection in Atlanta on the way to Montego Bay. In the email she offered up several options for us to choose from, all I had to do was call her and tell her which option we liked and I went back to work. She called the original airline and cancelled the flight, booked a flight on the new airline we chose, cancelled the hotel we had booked for the night before as we also changed airports, booked us a new hotel and also updated our travel insurance as this changed the price of our trip. If I hadn't used a TA I don't know when or how I might have even known about this little "situation" and getting it all squared away certainly would have been more difficult for me than one phone call. A travel agent will be able to give you all your flight options and sometimes ours has even quoted me a cheaper price than what I've been seeing on the internet before calling her...I love to watch the prices for months before it's time to book so I have an idea what it's going to cost.
    Thanks for the advice regarding going the travel agent route. It's definitely something to consider looking into this weekend. There's an AAA office right near by.

Quote Originally Posted by cenebd1 View Post
    I dont know if this will help,but we are flying from san diego to la to miami to montego bay on a red eye. If all goes well we will be on the beach by noon the next day. I leave in a few weeks. I will let you know how it goes when I get back.
    Hmmm, LAX to Miami to MBJ? Not bad, mind telling me what airlines you are flying there and back and what time you leave LAX and get to MBJ? I haven't seen anything leaving LAX with only one stop in Miami.

I did see a US Airways flight that goes from LAX to Charlotte to MBJ. Leaves LAX at 10:40 pm on a Friday and gets to MBJ the next day at 11:40 am. That would be our other option but we would prefer to leave from Orange County.

In any case, US Airways seems to be our best bet even though I try to stick with Continental.

Thanks!

Delta out of SD to Atl to MB. MB to Atl to SD is one way or this year we fly Con SD to Houston to MB and back Delta to Atl to SD.

Default West Coast Travel

We normally fly from Reno so we have even less options that from a major airport - it is hard to get from west to east in one day due to the time zones being crossed. We normally spend the night in Dallas and get there the next day. We have also done the LAX to MIA (get a long layover and have lunch at our favorite mexican place with old friends) and spend the night and get there the next day - we are more rested when we get to the resot but it is a lot of traveling. We particularly dislike redeyes. The only time we were able to fly in one day there and back was when US Air tried a flight from Phoenix to MJB nonstop. We were able to get there in one day but by the time we got to the resort we were exhausted - ate dinner and went to bed - kind of a waste of $350 for the night. Although I wish that was an option again.

So we just do the overnights - although next time we are going back East for a separate trip and added a few days in Jamaica since we are 3/4 of the way there - but after that we think we will just do the two plane changes to get home in the same day.

It is a difficult destination from the West Coast - but definitely worth it.

Tracy

We are going in May, and booked through Costco. We also live in Orange County, and it was far less expensive for us to fly out of LAX as we are going over Memorial Day weekend. We are on US Airways (not our favorite, but oh well).

Here is our set-up:
    LAX- Friday night red-eye at 11:55pm, arrive Philadelphia 8am, with just less than a 2 hour layover, arriving MBJ 12:41pm

Our return flight is through Charlotte, leaving MBJ on a Thursday at 12:40 pm, about a 1.5 hour layover, and arrive at LAX at 8:40 pm.

Hope that helps, sorry I can't help with a flight out of OC.

Default We're headed for our first visit in November

Check out Continental Airlines. We went through our travel agent, but I also see these flights on Continental's website. We're leaving around midnight on Friday with a stop and a 3 hour layover in Houston, then on to MBJ arriving around noon.

Hope this works for you.

Our 10hr flight from the UK (nonstop) seems easy compared with all these changes!

Quote Originally Posted by shepinCA View Post
    Check out Continental Airlines. We went through our travel agent, but I also see these flights on Continental's website. We're leaving around midnight on Friday with a stop and a 3 hour layover in Houston, then on to MBJ arriving around noon.

Hope this works for you.
    Thanks for the help everyone! When we were back east flying out of Newark we always flew Continental. The problem with flying Continental now, from the East or West, is that they don't fly out of MBJ on Sunday. We would need to leave on a Saturday and we would much rather have another night at Couples and be able to leave on a Sunday instead. Got to keep looking at options but thanks for all the advice! :-)

Good luck! I am noting this down as we are also coming from OC. However, the last two times we went, Air Jamaica was still flying the red eye from LAX which arrived in MBJ at 6:00 am which was FABULOUS. Sux that they don't offer it anymore so we're trying to find the next best route to get us there. We like to fly out of OC, but when going international it's easier and cheaper to head out of LAX.

Default Going in June fron So Cal

We live in OC but are flying out of San Diego so we can drop kids off at my parents. SD offers flight through US Airways with only 1stop in Charlotte. That was best we could find. I'm sure OC or LA have something similar. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCouple View Post
    Hmmm, LAX to Miami to MBJ? Not bad, mind telling me what airlines you are flying there and back and what time you leave LAX and get to MBJ? I haven't seen anything leaving LAX with only one stop in Miami.

I did see a US Airways flight that goes from LAX to Charlotte to MBJ. Leaves LAX at 10:40 pm on a Friday and gets to MBJ the next day at 11:40 am. That would be our other option but we would prefer to leave from Orange County.

In any case, US Airways seems to be our best bet even though I try to stick with Continental.

Thanks!
    Hello,
    Sorry it took me so long. We are flying American. I dont have a favorite airline. They have all done all right by me.
    C