Default I have been thinking so hard!

I think my friend and i are going to visit CSA but i am kind of afraid that there won't be enough to do for my friend. He is an adventurer and wants to experience everything he can. Me personally, i like to relax and chill in the lap of luxury. But i also do want to try and see new things outside of the resort. Did anyone have any problems finding things to do all 7 days of their trip? Also, his man concern was renting a scooter while there. Do they have any place at the resort or within walking distance to rent a scooter. *thinking....oh God he really wants to kill me on a scooter YIKES* haha! Anyway, Are there any excursions that are economically priced that you would recommend or NOT recommend? How is the wifi at the resort? I am pursuing my masters degree through online courses and my trip may be in the middle of a class and i would need access to the internet to do the readings, and type up my weekly research paper, not to mention to stay in touch with my mother through email who always goes bonkers when i go on vacation outside the country :-) We haven't booked our trip just yet, as Im waiting for him to check out the resort and give me his money (I swear men are never into details) but i think we are going to get a Verandah room. What are your experiences with that room and what suggestions should we ask for when we arrive? Also, always i good question, where were the best places to eat? I guess thats all the questions and concerns i have as of right now. Any other information you would like to share, please do! Thanks everyone!

Your post stressed me out. Book a trip to CSA ASAP You need it hahahaha
    I say this because it reminds me of one of my first posts to this messageboard.

I think my friend and i are going to visit CSA but i am kind of afraid that there won't be enough to do for my friend. He is an adventurer and wants to experience everything he can. Me personally, i like to relax and chill in the lap of luxury. But i also do want to try and see new things outside of the resort. Did anyone have any problems finding things to do all 7 days of their trip?

NO problem finding things to do. All comes down to how much resort time you want vs off resort time. Also it depends on how much you want to spend!!!

Also, his man concern was renting a scooter while there. Do they have any place at the resort or within walking distance to rent a scooter. *thinking....oh God he really wants to kill me on a scooter YIKES* haha!

Yes he will be trying to kill you if you rent a scooter. The roads are VERY DANGEROUS! I would advise against this. Hire a cab.

Anyway, Are there any excursions that are economically priced that you would recommend or NOT recommend?

Mayfield Fall = Great time.

How is the wifi at the resort? I am pursuing my masters degree through online courses and my trip may be in the middle of a class and i would need access to the internet to do the readings, and type up my weekly research paper, not to mention to stay in touch with my mother through email who always goes bonkers when i go on vacation outside the country :-)

Wifi is available in the lobby and in some rooms

We haven't booked our trip just yet, as Im waiting for him to check out the resort and give me his money (I swear men are never into details) but i think we are going to get a Verandah room. What are your experiences with that room and what suggestions should we ask for when we arrive?

All the rooms are great. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Also, always i good question, where were the best places to eat? I guess thats all the questions and concerns i have as of right now. Any other information you would like to share, please do! Thanks everyone!

Try all the food options. The pick your favorite and go back again another night.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishDelusions View Post
    . . . . Me personally, i like to relax and chill in the lap of luxury. . . . .
    We love Couples Resorts and have been guests at the various resorts 18 times and CN in particular 14 times. However, if you're looking for luxurious accommodations, you might be disappointed. Couples resorts are more rustic than luxurious.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Your feeling about the scooter are very accurate. Jamaica is a very dangerous place to drive/ride when you are not used to their rules or the drivers. First off, they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. Then there are other rules that I don't understand that have to do with how they pass other vehicles and lot of honking. I seriously do not suggest getting a scooter. BAD idea. Just get a taxi from the hotel and they can take you anywhere you want to roam. They also can suggest excursions as well as the front desk will have a list of excursions around the area and pricing.

If your friend is planning on going out a lot and being off property, then I don't suggest staying at Couples. Since it is an AI, it doesn't make sense to constantly be off property and paying for drinks and food off resort.

If you are looking for things to do on the resort, there are plenty. Lots of water sport options, plus the workout facility across the street also has lots of options. You can stay busy at the resort if you want to.

One other thing that has me concerned as your reference to him as "friend" does not sound to me like you two are a couple. All Couples resorts are geared toward couples in love. The place is VERY romantic. If the two of you are not an item, you might not like being at a Couples resort as there will be no one to flirt with or hook up with. You might want to try a different resort.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

There will be plenty for him to do if you stay at CSA. He can snorkel a couple times a day, learn tennis, take out a hobie cat or kayak, or he could just wander down the beach forever and check out all the local places. I'm not sure about a scooter, but they would probably know at the activity desk.

You guys will love CSA and the food on the resort is all top notch. Enjoy.

Stop thinking so hard!!! You will be in paradise, There is SOOOOOOO much to do and SOOOOOOO much not to do. You don't have to worry. No problem mon! EVERY place is great to eat at. Try them all!

There is Wifi in all of the rooms (albeit a little bit slow). This should be just fine for your course work.

As far as the scooter goes, unless you're from Great Britain and/or Jamaica, I would NOT drive a motorized vehicle (or even a bike) on Norman Manley Boulevard (or any road in Jamaica)....the drivers have their own way of doing things that can be quite foreign to anyone not accustomed to driving on the island. You'll have to be able to dodge animals (goats, cows, dogs), as well as cars which want the right of way and people walking near traffic. This just doesn't seem like a good idea....if your friend wants some speed, please have him rent a jetski. While I hate them, I think they're a bit safer than driving on the road....

There is TONS to do at CSA! If you've never done scuba, I'd strongly recommend their intro class and then taking the PADI certification. That takes about 1 day in and of itself (albeit on the resort), and then you can scuba 2 times per day until (I think) 1 day before you leave. There's no cost for your intro class and first dive, then there's a $250 or so course fee and the rest of your dives are free. You should check the website, but I think you may need to bring a note from your MD if you have any physical ailments. There's also 2x daily scuba diving off one of several reefs. In addition, you can learn how to sail a hobie cat or learn how to wind surf or water ski.

7 Mile Beach is worth a walk - if you want to leave the resort for lunch or afternoon cocktails, there are lots of cool bars along the beach (including the Negril branch of Margaritaville, which is about a 5 minute walk from CSA).

Make sure to check out Elvis - he's not a Couples employee, but he works the beach - he is the person to see for parasailing and jet skiing. Parasailing is a definite must, but remember you'll have to tip the captain of the boat as well as the crew, so bring some extra cash with you for this event! You'll be able to locate Elvis immediately - he generally has an Elvis Lives or Shut Up And Fly t-shirt and has a cell phone up to his ear and a giant smile. He's a great guy and will definitely set you up!

There's also a free Catamaran Cruise that happens most afternoons at around 3 ish until 5:30 or so. This will take you from Couples to the Cliffs, with a stop to swim in pirates' caves....definitely not to be missed, and this is something that most resorts charge for!

The Sports Complex offers tennis lessons for beginners through Serena Williams level. There are also fitness classes throughout the day and the whole fitness center (outdoor) which is available and quite good.

The Entertainment Staff is also good at getting people together for sand or pool volleyball games, and there are generally events throughout the day like mixology, tarot card reading, hat making and tie dying....

Finally, you can reach Rick's Cafe fairly cheaply via cab - if you want to buy overpriced drinks and watch the sunset from the cliffs, this is quite popular. There are also Couples sponsored shopping trips into Negril which happen pretty frequently.

At night there's the Aura Nightclub which starts at 11:00 and gets going at about 12:00 or so, depending on the energy level of the guests at the resort at that particular time. There's also entertainment from 9:00 - 11:00 at the Palms (dancing) or at the Aura Lounge (Ultimate Chocolate - a terrific pianist who does the piano sing alongs). You should try to be there for the bonfire and guitarist on Wednesday evenings at 10:00 - very romantic and lovely. There's also movies on the beach (usually Cool Runnings - good for a hoot) and the Beach Party which we've never attended, but looks like fun if you like sitting with a group....If you want to leave the resort for dancing, once a week Couples has a shuttle to the Jungle, a club in Negril. We've never gone, but hear it is fun....There's also Alfred's on the beach and several of the beach bars to the left of CSA have evening events. I wouldn't recommend walking the beach at night, though....there are sand fleas that will eventually find and attack you, and once you leave Couples property, there's no one to vouch for your safety - like anywhere, it's probably better not to walk around in an unfamiliar place in the dark.

Most of these suggestions are free or fairly inexpensive and happen "on campus."

Couples also offers tours of the local area that we've never taken, because we've always found stuff to do (or not do) at the resort. You can sign up for these when you arrive - they include horseback riding and van tours of the area.

Hope this gives you some idea of the depth and breadth of CSA's offerings. I'd say tell your friend to open up his wallet immediately so you can make your reservations and start your countdown!! We LOVE CSA, and keep returning year after year....

I think you'll both be able to have a great time. There are plenty of things included to do on-site as well as off-site, for additional cost. I wouldn't rent a scooter...yikes...but that's just me. I say go for it! Couples vacations have been some of our best!

As for the repeaters telling potential guests "couples may not be for you" or things to that effect...really??!! I think it is pretty presumptiuos to say a "friend" can't be a romantic partner; maybe they just have different terms of endearment than you do. Obviously this "couple" is interested in Couples for a reason! Ease up, just a bit on the "it's not for you". ~Respect!

Wow, alot of great suggestions. One thing concerned me, i understand that this is a COUPLES resort and just because my friend and i aren't together (yet) i felt that some don't think that we belong here. Why is that? We aren't going to Jamaica to meet new people and to mingle, we are going to explore, and experience. Luxury isn't really what i meant, but just beauty and a no worry kind of conscience. To me that's luxury. Thank you for all the information and input about the scooters...its settled. If he wants to go on one, he can go alone lol. ill stick to the excursions. Well, even though i really want to stay here, Coloradojulie brought up a good point that Couples is geared to people in love and maybe we wouldn't be accepted as much. So maybe ill just have to settle for something less. Its just that since i have the money, i wanted to stay somewhere thats the best. But its cool. Maybe later in life when love finds me, ill get to stay here. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

You need to RELAX and just go!! There is plenty to do for the both of you. Just go and have a good time. Don't stress!
    Brandi

Don't be concerned that the focus of Couples is "couples in love". While its true that's the norm, its also true that its not a in your face type of forced romance. CSA is just a really beautiful,relaxed, amazing place that makes it easy to connect with the person your with. I really don't think you'd feel out of place AT ALL.From what you've said I think it may be what your looking for.
    And as far as renting a scooter,my husband and I did it once when we stayed on the cliffs. It was a great experience getting to go off into the countryside a bit, but I have to admit when we had to navigate on the busy parts of cliff road I had my eyes closed. Thank goodness I was just a passenger,lol My husband wants to rent one again when we return to CSA in June to go to some of the little towns we pass on the way to Negril.I'm not so sure.
    Anyway.. no matter where you decide to go, have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Allans_Angel View Post
    I think you'll both be able to have a great time. There are plenty of things included to do on-site as well as off-site, for additional cost. I wouldn't rent a scooter...yikes...but that's just me. I say go for it! Couples vacations have been some of our best!

As for the repeaters telling potential guests "couples may not be for you" or things to that effect...really??!! I think it is pretty presumptiuos to say a "friend" can't be a romantic partner; maybe they just have different terms of endearment than you do. Obviously this "couple" is interested in Couples for a reason! Ease up, just a bit on the "it's not for you". ~Respect!
    Thank you Allens_Angel. I really felt some type of way about us not being literally together. I really feel that we wouldn't feel welcomed or be accepted by other married or together couples by that comment. It really bummed me out and i have been looking for somewhere else to stay, but nothing else compares. I jus thought that was a little discriminatory. You are right, some couples refer to their significant others as "friend" so why can't we? We will be traveling together, staying in the same room, eating and exploring together, but we dont hold title, why is that so bad? Anyway, thanks for the support, maybe we will still go.....

You will be "accepted". Everyone is in love with Jamaica, you and your frend will have a great time. I actually wished I could have traded my husband for a friend on my last trip, so go and have a blast.
    FYI, no longer my husband
    it's the best, enjoy!!!

You mention the word 'vacation' but not sure you know what it means........."a scheduled period during which activity is suspended". CSA offers as much or as little as you would want to do. Stay on property. If you must be active then walk the beach to Margarittaville, go on the catamaran, snokel, dance or gamble, participate in the evening entertainment etc...... but CSA has it all. All the eating places are fantastic. We had a Beachfront Verandah room and loved it. We stepped off our verandah, crossed the walkway and onto the beach. A perfect sunset every evening.......one thing you have correct is that you are going to CSA. Relax and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilishDelusions View Post
    Thank you Allens_Angel. I really felt some type of way about us not being literally together. I really feel that we wouldn't feel welcomed or be accepted by other married or together couples by that comment. It really bummed me out and i have been looking for somewhere else to stay, but nothing else compares. I jus thought that was a little discriminatory. You are right, some couples refer to their significant others as "friend" so why can't we? We will be traveling together, staying in the same room, eating and exploring together, but we dont hold title, why is that so bad? Anyway, thanks for the support, maybe we will still go.....
    You should definitely go!!!! Couples is a wonderful place. I don't recall anyone there ever asking my husband and me if we were "in love"...like there's not a test or anything. And, it's not like everyone is making out all the time.

Default GO!

Go!

Who knows.....maybe by the time you come back you will be a COUPLE!!

If you are not looking to "hook-up", you will love it just as much as the rest of us.

GO!!

Whoa! I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I was just trying to say that the resort could be a bit intimidating if you are simply (or even casual) friends and not an item.

During the day the resort is very social, but at night it becomes very romantic and couples seem to keep to themselves and be just the two of them.

I was just trying to say that they should either be really good friends prepared to spend a lot of time together or might want to find another resort that has singles who they could hook up with. (That didn't come out right, but hopefully you know what I'm trying to say).

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend and I was just letting you know about the atmosphere at Couples because if you are just casual friends, the atmosphere might be a bit intimidating.

Hopefully you now understand what I was trying to tell you.

I'm not trying to tell you not to go, I'm just trying to help you understand the atmosphere.

Now, hopefully you all can get off my back!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come