Thread: stolen jewelry

Default stolen jewelry

I had jewelry stolen from my luggage bag- Not at the resort (which was Couples Swept Away) but at the airport. It was my own fault for not putting it in my carry on- but I was in a hurry and we have been to Jamaica for 10 years and never had a problem-but times have changed.It was in a handmade case and had mixture of costume jewelry and gold chain bracelets and necklaces. So just reminding everyone not to pack valuables in luggage. Hopefully the resorts can try to get security at the airports to be more trustworthy and prevent future bad raps. Otherwise had great trip!

So sorry about your theft. This is a great reminder to always keep your valuables with you at all times.

Mainegirl

We had the same experience a few years ago,only with my husband money clip (and about $150). He dropped it in the checked luggage not paying attention and thinking it was the carryon. He definetly is more careful now.
    Linda

Was this in your checked luggage? I was assuming it is safe to keep items of value in carry-on luggage, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Do you get separated at all from carry-on bags as you go through customs and immigration?

I had tied brightly colored handkerchiefs to our luggage so they could easily be found. On the way to Jamaica I had no problem, but they were stolen on the way home. The next time I put a ratty old bow on the handle and it has never been touched.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I would never put jewelry in checked luggage.
    Only in carry on.

I had two bottles of perfume stolen, my husband packed them and forgot to lock the case!

I had a similar experience departing from MBJ. I made the mistake of putting my iPod in my checked luggage (my fault) and it was gone when I got back to the states. It's just a reminder that you need to carry all valuables in your carry-on luggage.

These posts always kill me. Never mind the fact that everyone should know better. We should not have to worry about our belongings like this. It's outragous.
    How the Airlines, Airports and Authorities in general tolorate this theft is beyond me. It happens all over the world.
    How hard is it to prevent this? Not very methinks. It's just so god awful prevelant. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-4-Jamaica View Post
    Was this in your checked luggage? I was assuming it is safe to keep items of value in carry-on luggage, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Do you get separated at all from carry-on bags as you go through customs and immigration?
    No you do not ever get seperated from your carry on except when it goes through the screenings in which you are standing right there. I never leave my carry on, ever, not even on the plane,or to use the rest room! It is stored underneath the seat in front of me.

I think this post speaks of checked luggage. Either way, I just removed a ziplock bag of costume jewelry (gifts for housekeeping) from my luggage that gets checked in and placed it in my carry on! When things are lost/stolen while on vacation, it mentally can mess you up for the rest of your trip!

I'm sorry to hear this...that sucks!
    I have on my person what I want to bring & we do soley carry on...

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

We had to gate check one of carry on bags a couple years ago and forgot our digital camera was in the bag - when we arrived in Atlanta we found our digital camara gone and a bunch of other things hand been gone thru in the bag. Learned our lesson with this. Contacted the airlines and they stated that there was nothing that could be done - since we didn't have proof of where the theft occured. Filed police report too which didn't help either.

Are you sure it was taken at the MBJ airport? I had a new bottle of perfume which wasn't there when I started unpacking at the resort. At first I thought maybe I hadn't packed it, but it wasn't at home when I returned. We had taken Delta airlines. A couple weeks later there was a news story that Delta attendants were caught stealing from luggage. I filed a report with the airlines and I received a check for the amount of the perfume. Just be sure if you pack items of value, they are placed under everything else in the middle of the suitcase. My perfume was just inside along the side of the suitcase, an easy place to 'run a hand and grab'. I think that you can't lock luggage anymore, it has to be accessable at all times. Am I correct?

Not that this will prevent theft, but it helps keep people honest. We have been using TSA approved locks on our bags the past few years. The locks will let you know if a TSA employee has been in your luggage, usually by a small indicator on the lock. It won't stop theft, but I think they help.

This was in our checked luggage- your carry on is with you at all times - i just found out a friend had hers stolen too - she went thru atlanta- which we did too- so possibly it happened there?

Ge--you can lock luggage but the lock has to be one of the TSA approved locks.

Every time we have used the TSA approved locks we find them in one of the pockets of our luggage when we pick it up at our destination. This was on different airlines at different airports. They opened them and then just stuck them in the luggage which did a whole ton of good. I wonder if they see the locks and assume that means we have something good in there. Out of curiosity I started tying a small piece of thread to the zippers to see if they were opened when we didn't have the locks and they never were. Of course this could be a coincidence but I thought it was funny that of all the flights we have taken, they only seemed to be opened when we had locks on them.

The last number of years...I can't recall exactly...our checked luggage has been inspected every time on our way out of Jamaica. You know this because they leave a piece of paper in your suitcase stating that it was inspected. This last trip it was also inspected again in Atlanta when we changed planes if I recall correctly, we've never had that happen but never been through Atlanta before either. Certainly the locks are not fool proof and the point of them is that TSA personnel are able to open them...presumably random airline staff would not be able to, only those that had a "right" to inspect your luggage. No system works perfectly.

How the Airlines, Airports and Authorities in general tolorate this theft is beyond me. It happens all over the world.
    How hard is it to prevent this? Not very methinks. It's just so god awful prevelant. I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more!

I don't think I have ever met someone who didn't get ripped off on a flight at some time. We use the TSA locks and make sure we have nothing worth stealing in our checked luggage. Our only fear is when we do have Blue Mountain coffee and some souvenirs in the checked luggage because it won't fit in our carry on's. I think using the TSA locks at least limits the chance of getting ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    Ge--you can lock luggage but the lock has to be one of the TSA approved locks.
    Thanks!