Default Check-in without a Credit Card

I am going to CSS this fall and won't have a Credit Card. The last time at couples was at CN and I can't remember if I had to give a credit card imprint at checkin.

If I don't have a credit card what are my options? Debit Card? Cash? American Express Travelers Cheques? If I use either cash or Debit Card and don't charge anything then do they simply give the deposit back at check out?

If I am leaving a cash deposit or American Express Travelers Cheques then should I be taking USD?

Thanks

No sure what to tell you. They definitely ask for a card when you check in. My suggestion would be to call the 800 number and speak with someone in the office. That way you know for sure how to handle the situation. Don't want to get down there and have a problem.

I'm pretty sure I've used a debit card before. Not sure about cash - best to just call and ask.

We use a debit card.

You'll need cash for vendors on and off resort, but CC/Debit works everywhere else.

WE used debit card, just call bank and let them know that you'll be out of the country.

They won't actually take the money out of your account, if you use your debit card don't expect a refund upon check-out.

I personally wouldn't travel out of the country without a CC. What if there was some sort of emergency? I wouldn't travel anywhere without one.

softail19--while I don't know the specific motivations of Jim T I can tell you that many people do not believe in having a credit card. If you have a debit card with a good amount of money in the account you have the same access to your resources as with a credit card but don't have to carry cash. Check out the Dave Ramsey budget plan...

I understand trying to avoid credit card use to stay out of debt, but from a liability perspective, you really shouldn't travel with a debit card. A credit card offers you fraud protection in case your card or its number is stolen or misused, with debit cards you're generally on the hook. With a debit card, you're just travelling around with full access to your checking account on the line...

To each his own. Once again, I especially wouldn't use a debit card in Jan or anywhere else. I just feel better having a CC just in case. The only place I have used a CC is at couples. I am very cautious as I have been ripped off buying stuff online. I refuse to do that anymore.Call me old fashioned but I have had my number stolen somehow a couple of times. I'm all for financial responsibility. Access to my checking account, no way!

Softail19 ~ Our bank has a protection plan and if our number is stolen we immediately get all charges refunded, plus they cancel the card and we have a new one in our mailbox the next day or they can instantly create one at one of the branches. Consequently we see no need for a credit card and live strictly on cash.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Julie, Congrats, most people would be better off without the plastic.

What a great question... I returned yesterday from css and had brought only a debit with a master card logo. I watched at checkin nervously as she swiped and swiped again... then I was informed they can't put a hold on debits... no worries tho she just took the card # and we happily charged our spa and everything thruout our trip and at check out all was good have a blast couples is truly a no worries vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Softail19 ~ Our bank has a protection plan and if our number is stolen we immediately get all charges refunded, plus they cancel the card and we have a new one in our mailbox the next day or they can instantly create one at one of the branches. Consequently we see no need for a credit card and live strictly on cash.

I won't say "all" because I do not know that to be fact but I know that many or most banks have this practice. Years ago I worked in a bank in their credit card department, we issued their debit cards as well. At that time the debit cards had the same protection as a credit card...if you reported the card/number stolen within a reasonable amount of time you were not held responsible for the charges that were not yours. This was a visa policy, not our bank as I recall. As far as "reasonable"...it was spelled out more specifically but it had to do with statements, it gave a customer time to receive a bank statement and see charges that weren't theirs and report the problem. If the card itself was stolen there was a time frame there as well. Essentially it's just a matter of responsibility, if they feel you've done your best to protect both yourself and them from loss the bank isn't going to hold you liable. If you call them and tell them the card has been missing for three weeks but you just hoped it would show back up because you didn't want the hassle of changing the number...sorry, you are gonna be liable for some stuff. Bottom line is, you are just as protected with a debit card, it's just that if someone does get your card or number the money is coming right out of your checking account so you could get messed up for a bit until you contact your bank and they get the money back in the account. I'm livin' debt free and I'll take that risk, it's a great feeling not to owe money to visa!

I used my debit card last week when we were there, a charge never came through for $300. We only charged $15 for a photo to our room, so that was the only charge that appeared.

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

I am living basically debt free also, but I do have credit cards. I just pay them off each month and never carry a balance. Sometimes it seems like the cash flow isn't always there exactly when I need it (usually for prescritpions) however, I am prepared when the bill comes due to pay it. You can be debt free and have a credit card if you know how to manage them.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    I am living basically debt free also, but I do have credit cards. I just pay them off each month and never carry a balance. Sometimes it seems like the cash flow isn't always there exactly when I need it (usually for prescritpions) however, I am prepared when the bill comes due to pay it. You can be debt free and have a credit card if you know how to manage them.
    That's what we do too. The upsides are that we get a ton of points, the liability protection and it is great for our credit since it has been opened so long and the limit is so high. Plus you can float the balance until the payment is due like Lindad said. Sometimes something is on sale one week but I don't have a lot of cash until the next week. the points are the best part though. My husband cashed in some points a while ago and got about $4000 to use towards our mortgage. He calculated out the point to dollar ratio and found that the mortgage payment thing was the way to get the most money for his points so he did that. It was great because it was literally free money. I have a few cards in my name for some of the stores I shop at most because I get a percent off of each purchase. As long as you pay it off every month you save a lot of money. Plus the send a bunch of coupons to card members. you just have to make sure not to spend more than you can pay off.

Alot of major supermarkets now have credit cards in the checkout lines right above the candy. Get a prepaid credit card if you aren't able to get a debit card. They will not charge anything to your card unless you buy from the giftshop, spa, or photo services.

Default Check in without a credit card

Perhaps the issue here is not debt or credit but credit card security and unauthorized use, which is a risk anywhere you use your credit card.

Does anyone know if the prepaid credit cards are available in Canada?