Thread: Documents

Default Documents

Hello all,

Currently writing to you from the sandbox, and I had a simple question. MY wife is a Resident of the U.S and on her Residence card it has her married name, however in her passport it has her maiden name. Will that be a problem? Or is simply bringing those documents plus our marriage certificate good enough to prove the name change? Let me know, thank you !

I would've thought everything should match, particularly since 9/11. I'm sure someone will have an answer or the relevant web page to get your answer.

You should book in the name that is on her passport. All travel documents will need to match the name on her passport, or you will run into problems.

She should apply for a new passport with her new name. The name on the passport must match the name on the tickets for travel and her other identification.

I saw your other post which explains your situation in more detail. You have two things to consider...getting to Jamaica and getting back into the US. At least it seems so to me, though I acknowledge I am no expert and being a citizen I've never had it be complicated. How did you book your trip? If you used a travel agent they should easily be able to help you with this information. Otherwise I'd contact the immigration office both US and Jamaican to be sure. How long have you been married? This will have an impact on the answer I suspect. Newlyweds obviously don't have time to get new passports prior to honeymoon travel. Why can she not apply for a new passport in her married name from her home country? Perhaps this is a silly question...again I am no expert in this matter but it would seem to me that eventually she would need one anyway? For the best and most accurate of anwers I would suggest contacting the government, hate to ruin a trip over something that could be fixed ahead of time.

I haven't changed my passport to my married name because why pay $70+ if you don't have to? I just book my flight ticket and COuples in my maiden name. You just want to make sure everything she shows at the airport matches with your ticket name (i.e. show your passport not your drivers license if she changed the name under her DL) . I would also just bring a copy of your marriage certicate just in case.

You Need to have that changed as far as I kow it will just complicate things in customs

Your plane tickets need to match the name on her passport.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Are we talking about boarding flights and getting through immigration? If so, use the passport and book the tickets with her name exactly like it is on her passport unless you plan on getting a new one. I have seen people turned away because their name was spelled wrong or because they have not updated their passport and used their new name on their ticket. The airline will sometimes tell you differently but the TSA and immigration are not very lenient. As long as what you write on your paperwork and use to book your ticket matches the passport they are ok. The resort doesn't care one way or another. If there is time I would just update the passport so you don't have to worry.

I think I posted to your other post..... You really should call TSA and CBP to get this answer. Would hate for your trip to be ruined if our advise is wrong.

The main issue here is that her green card doesn't match her passport. We are on green cards and they check both card and passport every time at the airport. You really must find out before you go.

I am sorry I placed another post out there, I am relatively new to the forums here and did not know the "delay" in posts. Please pardon me. Secondly, sounds like I SHOULD replace her passport with her married name, it's a bit of a pain though since 1, I'm not with her (being deployed and all) and 2, where can I get a Nicaraguan passport in miami? I'm assuming the Nicaraguan embassy would be my best bet. I will definetly look into this. Reasoning behind her name change is..
    Her passport was done in her maiden name, then we became married and the green card (way later down the road) was of course in her married name.
    Thank you all for posting I greatly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by dandj View Post
    The main issue here is that her green card doesn't match her passport. We are on green cards and they check both card and passport every time at the airport. You really must find out before you go.

Agree with this info...Melody is incorrect because she has a passport from a country other than the US and you will be leaving from and returning to the US (I assume).

Quote Originally Posted by javielee View Post
    I am sorry I placed another post out there, I am relatively new to the forums here and did not know the "delay" in posts. Please pardon me. Secondly, sounds like I SHOULD replace her passport with her married name, it's a bit of a pain though since 1, I'm not with her (being deployed and all) and 2, where can I get a Nicaraguan passport in miami? I'm assuming the Nicaraguan embassy would be my best bet. I will definetly look into this. Reasoning behind her name change is..
    Her passport was done in her maiden name, then we became married and the green card (way later down the road) was of course in her married name.
    Thank you all for posting I greatly appreciate it!

I don't know if the embassy can replace the passport for her or not but they will surely be able to give her guidance. I understand that you are not in a good position to be able to do this...can she not do this for herself? It just seems that not taking care of this before you leave could ruin your trip. I think everyone you meet will understand the series of events that led to her having these documents but the bottom line is without the proper ID you may run into some real hassles, things you may not be able to explain your way out of. I'd have her start dealing with this quickly, who knows how long it may take to get the new passport.