Thread: Rumor

Default Rumor

Is there any truth to the rumor that Couples will be taking over Rio Bueno?Its au naturel facilities are fantastic and with the magic couples resort has it would be a great resort for all us people that like to be nekid

As in the city of Rio? Or the hotel chain Riu? Where is this?

Where did you hear this rumor?
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

I don't know if this article clears it up or confuses it.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ad/lead5.html#

Wondering that myself. Great location. But I hear the main beach is rough.
    Vicky

I hope it's not a rumor! The former 'Lido Braco' is a great property! Awesome A/N facilites for sure, but the entire place is great. Under "Couples" management it would likely flourish! My wife and I have been there many times under the former management but stopped going as things went downhill. If Couples takes over ... we are there!
    Last edited by rhallva; March 29th, 2011 at 04:29 PM.

That would be great! We went in 2006 and liked the resort and the short drive from the airport but found the service to be lacking. I am sure Couples could whip them into shape! As I recall CSS used to be part of Superclubs before Couples took over and that was a change for the better as well.

Amy

I agree it is a fabulous facility, but SC just couldn't run it at peak performance. Couples would do an excellent job. We went there once and almost didn't come back to Jamaica because the service and resort were not up to snuff, but then we found Couples and love Jamaica and Couples.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

John Issa is the nephew of Abe Issa. He runs the chain that managed the "Braco Resorts". Unconnected I think.

If the name "Issa" is what is confusing you, the family name has been associated with Jamaican resorts for decades. The head of the Couples empire is Lee... and a finer gentleman is not to be found...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

We actually looked at that resort when planning our first trip to JA in '09. The layout of the resort looked really interesting but the reviews were not that great. I would love to see what Couples could do with it!

I've been keeping my fingers crossed on this one !!

We've been to (the former) GLB 7x & the last several times we spent the weeks saying "....I wish Couples ran this resort..." for many reasons !! Couples would really turn it around & bring it back to glory again.

Please, please, please let this wish come true !!

Don't we already have enough "Which resort should I choose?" threads on this site? Adding another Couples Resort to the chain would probably end up overloading the message board with this question!

Just kidding. I'd love to have another Couples location to visit. Let's all hope that it makes financial sense for the company and that this rumor come to fruition. Soon come?
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Correct. John Issa is the founder and chairman of that other chain of resorts. The other branch of the Issa family operates Couples. The resorts are not connected, but the family relation is a connection.

With the rest if only Couples ran the former GLB

We love this property and believe it could be incredible under Couples management.....Fingers crossed there is truth to this rumor!

The current state of Braco/Rio Bueno (shutting down) is a cautionary tale of how not to run a business. The property is fantastic - we went there twice - but the service was not the 6 stars or whatever Superclubs was claiming. Fact is, they coasted, and were always having problems with management, leadership, running a tight ship, etc. The second time we went, a group of multi-repeaters drew up a list of complaints. These are people who had been there 6, 7, 10+ times. They wanted it to be great, but the owners/managers/leaders ultimately did not listen.

This is why Superclubs is shutting down properties in Jamaica while Couples has grown, and grown more successful, for the past 10+ years. Sadly, it has resulted in the loss of many jobs, and there were some great people at Braco who worked very hard, even without the motivation of a strong leadership team. Sad, truly sad.

I applaud what the owners and managers have done with Couples, and as long as they continue to work so hard to improve and deliver, we'll keep coming back (13th time this June for us). As for a Couples Braco? We'd be there the first week they opened.

I was wondering how long it would take for a post of this nature to appear. As soon as I read the article about the forth coming closure of the former GLB resort I instantly thought of how much better it could be if Couples operated that property. We stayed there once 4 years ago on the a/n side and really enjoyed the freedom of being able to go back and forth from your room to the beach or the pool without having to get dressed. The only thing we wished for at the time was that they had offered an evening dinning option that didn't require getting dressed for, other than room service. We have never returned to the resort mostly because of the pricing policy, and especially after SC changed the branding over to Breezes and started cutting back on the services it just did not compare in value to what Couples was offering. I know there was talking a few years ago of Couples opening a new property in the Trelawny area, maybe this is a better option for them?
    FONT="Verdana"]David and Jeanette, Nova Scotia[/FONT][/FONT]

Not to rain on everyone's parade but I have stayed at this property and I really believe if Couples took it over it would be a giant white elephant hanging around their neck and do financial damage to their company. In the current economic environment I don't see much of anything or anyone turning that property around unless maybe Disney took it over! Sorry for a tad bit of reality folks. lol
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Default Re: the article

I read the article and it mentions nothing about Couples obtaining the property. Where did you see this to assume that they were? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by kycouple View Post
    I don't know if this article clears it up or confuses it.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ad/lead5.html#

I *hope* this is true! We were married at GLB in 2005 and had a wonderful time! When we returned in 2006 for our anniversary we had a terrible trip but were fortunate enough to meet a wonderful couple who told us about Couples. We haven't strayed since!!

The grounds at GLB are beautiful and we would definitely go back if it were a Couples property! Looking forward to a split trip to there and CSA in the future.
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

Quote Originally Posted by karyn View Post
    I read the article and it mentions nothing about Couples obtaining the property. Where did you see this to assume that they were? Just curious.
    That's what I was wondering. Maybe they saw the name Issa and made that connection. That's a different branch of the family I believe though.

Maybe there is another article that mentions Couples though?

Well, since we are on this fantasy bus anyway...

I can see a few challenges and some huge benefits with a Couples takeover of the former Grand Lido Braco/Breezes Rio Bueno. Challenges first:

o Superclubs doesn't own the property, the Jamaican government owns it through a bank. Superclubs was not able to come to an acceptable leasing agreement, according to a Gleaner article, so it bailed. "Acceptable" presumably meant "low enough that we could make money." However, you would have to assume that if Couples was interested, the Bank and Government would be motivated to make a deal, given the benefit of retaining those jobs, and the tax and other revenues.

o A Couples Braco would result in three properties on the north side of the island, including CTI and CSS. Is that too many? Would it be hard to distinguish and market them?

o Whereas Couples Negril (for example) is 18 acres, the Braco property is huge, and includes polo fields, long driveways, etc. It is almost certainly a much more expensive property to maintain to a high degree.

o Would one branch of the Issa family take over a property from another?

On the other side, I can see some really good benefits or leverage points:

o What better way to fight the European resort invasion (RIU, Iberostar, etc.) than to offer even more great Jamaican-owned all-inclusives in the traditional style (not the garish, Euro-style) resorts?

o Three Couples resorts on the north side could be a plus for Couples - better leverage of staff when needs arise, better negotiation with suppliers, more "visit the other resorts" opportunities, cost savings by sharing buses, tours, etc.

o Braco has 226 rooms, almost exactly the same as CN's 234, so the size of the resort fits within the Couples range - not too small, not too big.

o The Braco property is known as having the *hands down* best a/n facility in the Caribbean, with around 55 dedicated suites on that side of the property (all with water views). That's marketing gold if you know how to mine it (I suspect Randymon would do just that).

o Since Superclubs is just leaving, the property should still be in reasonably good shape, and the staff likely ready to be rehired.

All in good fun of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Vybz View Post

o What better way to fight the European resort invasion (RIU, Iberostar, etc.) than to offer even more great Jamaican-owned all-inclusives in the traditional style (not the garish, Euro-style) resorts?

o Since Superclubs is just leaving, the property should still be in reasonably good shape, and the staff likely ready to be rehired.
    I think there are lots of people who come to Jamaica for the resort and like those Spanish and non Jamaican chains. I find it amusing that they would choose some generic resort experience where you can close your eyes and be anywhere over Couples but I read it all the time.

As for Supercluns, we stayed at their Negril property last year, the 5th time but the other stays were in GLN's heyday. The place is really run down so I would not count on Braco being in much better shape.

I would love to see Couples open in Port Antonio or another less developed spot personally. Once can dream.