Default Sony TX5/TX10 Waterproof Camera?

Hi All!

I am looking to purchase a waterproof camera and I tend to be a Sony girl... my question is, does anyone own/use/used to have the Sony TX5 waterproof camera? The newer version is coming out next month (TX10) and I am considering buying it and anyone who has used the older version I am looking for opinions!

Also, if you have a waterproof camera you LOVE (under $400) and would recommend, what is it? We are not scuba people so depth really isn't a huge issue, we are looking to more use it while swimming and in the pool without worrying if we are going to ruin it. Also, we like the “tough” feature that most have and also the compact size. This camera will be replacing my older point and shoot (from 2006, 7mp) so I am sure that any of the waterproof ones will be nicer/faster than that one.

I would like to buy in a physical store (or at least be able to physically hold the camera before buying to check it out) but am not opposed to buying online.
    Thank you for your help!
    Becky & Dave
    CSS July 2012 (Wedding @ CSS 7.18.12)
    CN July 2012

I don't have any information on the Sony camera's but last year we used the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 14.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera last year (in addition to my Nikon DSLR) and it took really great photos and video. They have it for around $300 on Amazon right now.

Name:  Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  16.8 KB

You can see the photos taken last year here on my Flickr account.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

I would really suggest getting a point and shoot and additional underwater housing for it. That is much more reliable and the photos will be significantly better. If you search for that type of thing on here you will find many threads about it. I know I have posted some really in depth responses so if you are having trouble finding anything you can search by my name and camera or something.

I second the underwater housing! Depending on your camera you can get one fairly cheap. I almost bought a waterproof camera but as a professional I am extremely picky about the speed and image quality and none of them met my expectations. I bought an actual hard case housing for my point and shoot from Canon for just over $200 however I have used a dicapac before and surprisingly it worked great! Very affordable my only complaint was the lens part of the housing would shift and be visible in some of the pictures. Nothing a little cropping wouldn't fix. My advise is to buy a camera you love regardless of if its waterproof or not after all I'm sure you will use it more often when you are not at the beach than when you are.

I have a DiCAPac case for my point and shoot and I love it!

I have the Panasonic Lumix and I LOVE it. Takes fabulous pictures and is easy to use!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Check out: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1497 I'm a fly fisherman and have used this camera all over the world, drop proof, waterproof (33ft), freeze proof, shock proof - also used it many times at CSA. You can buy it for well under $400, and it is safe in saltwater. I love Sony, but ruined three of them in salt, including one with the special case. Good luck.

I have the Sony Camera & it is excellent. When I travel I use that as my underwater (but not for Scuba) Camera & my Nikon D90 for propper photo's. Pictiure quality is good, even underwater & it looks like a normal camera. The only neg imho is the body is liable to be chipped quite easily.

Thanks for all the comments guys (and girls)

I think I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic Lumix, Sony TX10 and the Olympus TG-610.

My only problem with the underwater housing idea (which if the camera was just for water pictures I would consider) is that I also like the "tough" aspect of the waterproof cameras. No more worry about having a few too many beverages and dropping the camera

@jeffmon- your pictures are amazing and are much better quality then my old camera I am using now! I would have never known it was a waterproof camera from the pictures!

I am off to Best Buy next week to mess around with the 3 different ones and see which one is most "user friendly"!

Thanks again everyone ~ I love this message board! It's so helpful!
    Becky & Dave
    CSS July 2012 (Wedding @ CSS 7.18.12)
    CN July 2012

I have a fugi Z33 and LOVE it!!! And it's PINK! Check them out the pics are fabulous.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

BeckyandDave~ If you have a Sam's Club or Costco membership, check those places for cameras. We found much better pricing there than Best Buy, Wal-mart, or any other camera shop. We got my Lumix at Costco.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come