Default closed toe brand new sandals

I just bought my husband a brand new pair of closed toe sandals, he plans on wearing them with khaki pants and a button down collar shirt. Will the shoes be o.k. at Otaheite at Negril???

What is the big deal about actual shoes, as the dress code requires?

The original dress code required closed shoes, not closed-toe shoes. You can see the original dress code by clicking on the "Brochures" link on the left.

Today, however, the dress code allows sandals. From the FAQs:

What is the dress code?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed.
    Last edited by Pamela; April 4th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

IMO, yes. Some will probably say not, but with khakis and a nice shirt, I think he will be OK.

Yes. My husband has a pair of Keen closed toe sandals that he has worn the past three years with his khaki pants and collared shirt- Never a problem at Otaheite. Have a great trip.

They will be perfect.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by PennyG View Post
    I just bought my husband a brand new pair of closed toe sandals, he plans on wearing them with khaki pants and a button down collar shirt. Will the shoes be o.k. at Otaheite at Negril???
    I wear nice born closed toed sandals to feathers, it works well.

Once the toes are 'closed' they stop being sandals to me anyway. Should be fine I would think.

I'm always amused at how much passion these questions stir up!

Hard to imagine it's been well over a year and a half since anyone has mentioned wearing " crocs " to dinner....... Uh oh!

I wore closed Birkenstocks because I refuse to bring shoes to the beach. Take up too much room in a suitcase and I hate wearing them on the plane. My feet are huge and there is little room as it is under the seat for them to relax and enjoy the flight. I wouldn't dare put shoes on them to make it even tighter. The Birkenstocks were fine for me at the nice restaurants. I wore linen pants and a linen dress shirt with them. This time I'm bringing some Sanuk sidewalk surveys. They are light, comfy and closed! No worries.

I wore my Merrell beach sandals which are opened-toed to Otaheite this past February on two nights and no one said a word to me.
    I did see a few pairs of Crocs on the beach however and I don't mean Black River Crocs.

Quote Originally Posted by captl View Post
    I wore my Merrell beach sandals which are opened-toed to Otaheite this past February on two nights and no one said a word to me.
    Were you aware of the rules and simply chose to ignore them?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Were you aware of the rules and simply chose to ignore them?
    There was never any intention on my part to ignore the rules or to be cavalier about them. 75% of my feet were covered and most of the rest of them were covered by the bottom of my slacks. I have always respected the dress codes of any resort we have stayed at in the past, unlike many other guests I have seen, Couples included.
    Had it been an issue I would have gladly gone back to the room and put my runners on which would have been more obtrusive. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of packing 3 or 4 pairs of shoes.