Default How much is a pound of Blue Mountain coffee?

I asked on this MB twice before in another thread but it must have got lost in all the replies because I never received an answer. So I'm trying again with it's own thread.

My husband & I are big coffee lovers and hope to buy alot of coffee on our September trip to CN. How much is a pound of Blue Mountain coffee? And do you buy at CN, the airport or go to the local supermarket in Negril for the best choice/price? We only buy beans; not ground coffee.

Thanks
    Betty

Betty, the prices on the coffee go up and down depending on the time of year and the crop that season. At least thats what i was told in town (Negril). I have seen it in the gift shop at CN for around $30/lb give or take a couple $$$. We usually buy it in town and after some bartering have paid any where from $16 to $20/lb and that is for the 100% whole bean. Blue Mountain has become our absolute favorite coffee as well. I have heard of other countries with the same growing conditions as Jamaica growing the same bean at a cheaper price due to larger growing areas and have tasted a couple of them...believe me when i say you get what you pay for.

I'm curious as to how much you can bring back? lol

We only buy beans also. DO NOT BUY COFFEE FROM THE MARKET ACROSS THE STREET FROM CN! Unless, of course, it carries the Jamaican Coffee Board approved stamp (only found ONE vendor that did). Got some last time and had to toss it...it was totally undrinkable.

That said, I bought 4 lbs. at the gift shop for about $30, but it also was 15% off that day, so Woo Hoo! And it WAS delicious!! Have to go back (CSS this time, in 2 weeks!) to get some more! The airport duty free had Wallenford's (JCB approved) for $26/lb. I think, and I'm also going to get some there on my way home. I'm pretty sure there were other brands, just can't remember them.

Didn't get to the town of Negril, so can't answer about their prices. Just be sure it's one of the approved brands.

Quote Originally Posted by MurciMe View Post
    I'm curious as to how much you can bring back? lol
    I think its 5-6 pounds/person. Not 100% sure thats right, ask at the desk or at the airport.

We have always purchased our coffee in the airport. We don't care what it costs because buying it online from home is so much more expensive due to shipping but if I recall correctly when we were there in October I think we paid $25 per pound. The coffee you buy in the airport will be Blue Mountain if it says Blue Moutain (I think they had High Mountain as well). But if you want to do a little shopping you'll want to know what you are looking for, not all coffee in Jamaica is Blue Mountain and that is the stuff you are paying the high price for. Do your research and know how to identify real Blue Mountain. If you are buying in the airport or resort gift shops just look for coffee that says Blue Mountain. Just FYI, the resorts in Jamaica typically serve High Mountain coffee but it's still pretty good stuff...I assume the coffee at Couples was also High Mountain but maybe someone knows for sure.

http://www.ciboj.org/cib/

We have never paid more than $16/lb in Negril. My husband loves to search for the best price. We usually purchase 8-10 lbs of coffee. The more you want to buy the better the price they are willing to negotiate.

WOW thanks everyone. Great prices. We pay about $80/lb here in Toronto. If it doesn't expire we'll buy lots.

I guess buying at the airport means it has to go in your carry-on. Buy at CN and it can get packed in our locked checked in luggage. (Love not having to fly thru USA and visit with the TSA).

Betty

Default Hmmm?

Believe it or not it was a lot cheaper at the airport. I spent $35 for a small bag at the shop. No taxes at the airport either. I cannot remember the price, but I do remember kicking myself when I saw the price. Next time, I will buy it at the airport. Cigs were $8 at the airport it is half that. Everything at the airport seemed to be half the cost. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyinToronto View Post
    WOW thanks everyone. Great prices. We pay about $80/lb here in Toronto. If it doesn't expire we'll buy lots.

I guess buying at the airport means it has to go in your carry-on. Buy at CN and it can get packed in our locked checked in luggage. (Love not having to fly thru USA and visit with the TSA).

Betty
    It would not have to go IN your carry-on, we just carry it on the plane in the sack from the shop. As long as it will fit under your seat along with your other carry-on items we've never had an issue with it not being in our actual bag.

Betty
    Betty,
    coffee doesn't like cold, sun, or air. if you have someplace air tight, warm and dark to store it then it should be fine

At CSA recently, the coffee was $27/lb. in gift shop. While out and about in Negril, we asked our driver to take us where the locals would shop for coffee. He was kind enough to take us to a small shop to buy Blue Mountain Coffee at $16/lb. We purchased 6 lbs. to take home. We put the bags/beans in our checked-on luggage - no problems!

Hey Randijean46

If you are going to CSS this time and really enjoy the blue mountain coffee you should seriously consider doing the blue mountain coffee bicycle tour. It is a great day outing and you get to see some fantastic scenery along with getting to see and understand the traditional methods for picking and processing the coffee. The bicycle part is really quite easy as it is all downhill and you stop frequently for pictures and information sessions, or you can stay on the bus and still get to see and hear everything about the coffee and the area.

I have posted a link to some pictures we took on our trip in Dec 2010

http://david-jeanette.phanfare.com/4940059_5521994
    FONT="Verdana"]David and Jeanette, Nova Scotia[/FONT][/FONT]

Hey Nova Scotia! Alberta here! Yes, saw your pictures soon after you posted them. Enjoyed them immensely...even with all that rain on your coffee trip! lol Might try it, but we're only there for one week and I don't know if I can drag myself away from the beach and CSS for even one day! Maybe on the second trip to CSS next year!

Curious about the comment about coffee not liking cold, sun. etc. Is it not vaccumm packed in a dark bag?

Betty

At the moment, the world wide coffee market is tight. Prices are up, because supplies are down. I don't know how (or if) JaBluM follows the commodity indices for coffee, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

As for amounts, bring back as much as you can drink in a reasonable amount of time. I'm bad this way... I bring back 10# and it normally lasts a year. That's kind of too long to keep roasted beans, but hey... I just can't help myself.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I think about 16 oz just like here in the states.....<GRIN>

Randijean46
    That was our 3rd trip to CSS and we had been to CTI once as well so didn't mind spending some time away from the resort, but I can understand what your saying if this will be your 1st trip as the place is hard to leave. How are things out in Calgary, our son has been up in Red Deer the past two winters playing in the oil patch and having a great time but finding it a little colder then here on the east coast.
    FONT="Verdana"]David and Jeanette, Nova Scotia[/FONT][/FONT]

Hi Jeannette,

I think Winter here is FINALLY going to leave!! SO much snow! I think we might take advantage of the trip to Dunn's River Falls, but that's probably it! lol We're only there for one week this year, but if we love CSS like we love CN and CSA, we'll probably try for 10 days next Spring. 14 days to go! aaaaargh, can't STAND the waiting! Thanks to all on this message board for all the info about CSS; feel like I know it already.

Default Bearso

Thank you. It took 16 replies before I got the answer that first came to my 'smarty pants' mind.

Curious about the comment about coffee not liking cold, sun. etc. Is it not vaccumm packed in a dark bag?

Betty
    The coffee is vacuum sealed and in a dark blue bag. It is just best to drink the beans asap as they can get stale. But...that being said, we buy 40# of Wallendford when we go to JA so we can drink it daily for the next year until we return.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come