Default re: International airlink

Still very new at this message board, but we read we can take a small plane through International Airlink, and my question is the following: We would like to use this service on the way home from CSA. We are staying in December, do we arrange the flight service when we arrive at CSA or does CSA do it for us.. Again apologize for the confusion but this will be our first time at CSA and also hopping a little plane to fly back to the airport sounds great. Do we arrange a taxi to get to the landing strip or do they pick us up.. Many Thanks

Rick and Judie
    Montreal Canada

I can only speak of TimAir, which is the other company that can fly you into Negril. You can book the flight before you depart from home by visiting its website: www.timair.com, or you can have someone at CSA make the reservation for you while at the resort.

We've been flying on TimAir since 2000, when Couples offered a one-way flight as a perk to returning guests. We knew nothing about it until a couple mentioned it to us at the swim-up bar, so we had CN book the flight for us to return to MoBay at our vacation's end. We loved it so much that we've been flying round-trip ever since (even though Couples no longer pays for one of the flights), and we visit Jamaica at least once a year (three times last year).

Just as Couples arranges for a car/van/bus to take people to the airport at the end of their stay, Couples will arrange for transportation to take you to the Negril "airport" to take your flight to MoBay.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We flew TimAir back to Montego Bay from CSA in October. We hadn't decided for sure whether we would do this or take the shuttle when we left home so we hadn't made the arrangements prior to arriving at CSA. A few days into the trip we decided to fly, went to the front desk and asked for help faxing the necessary forms and making the arrangements...the staff were absolultely helpful and made all the arrangements for us including the transportation to the Negril Aeordrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    I can only speak of TimAir, which is the other company that can fly you into Negril. ...
    We've never found any procedural difference when booking International Airlink instead of TimAir.
    The processes described above apply for both.

One piece of advice to the OP; If you know that you will take the flight back you might want to book it in advance just in case. Years ago we had to scramble to get an alternate flight because we waited several days into our trip to attempt the return booking and their scheduled flights were full.

You can reserve your flight on our booking engine, call International Airlink direct and, once you at the resort, book your one way return flight with guest relations.

Couples Resorts

How much time will it save us if we take TimAir on the return trip vs. the shuttle? I know the shuttle take an hour and a half vs 15 minutes in the air, but with having to go to the local "airport", loading up there, etc., do you really save much time? We have a short time at CSA so we'll pay the extra for the flight, but only if we're going to get a significant time savings out of it.

We have taken Timair the last 3 years we've gone to CN. Last year was the first time that 5 minutes after we arrived at CN a bus pulled up with people from our flight on it!!! Usually we are the only ones checking in. Last July we were supposed to have our suitcases outside our door at 7:30 a.m. and leave the resort at 8:15 a.m. on the shuttle (for a 1:40 p.m. flight). We were flying Timair so we actually had to have our suitcases outside of our room at 9:30 a.m. and were picked up from CN to go to the airstrip at about 10:30 a.m. So....going back to Mobay it gave us 2 extra hrs at CN.

Your experience at the Negril airport is nothing like that at Montego Bay or your local airport at home...no security checks or waiting in lines or any of that other time consuming stuff. The airport is literally 5 minutes drive from CSA and it will likely take you about 5 minutes to check in. For us, our plane wasn't there (on the way back from Montego Bay) so we had to wait a few minutes but even with that we easily saved an hour at the resort. We had a morning flight so for us it was worth it and we'll do it again, allowed for a leisurely breakfast instead of a mad dash to grab a bagel and get on the road.

The biggest time savings on the return is not having to leave 5-6 hours before your flight as you do with the shuttle.

Negril Airdrome is small and it takes minutes to load up and take off.

We always fly to the resort (we don't like to wait and we do not like the stop that make that eats up our beach time) and occasionally on the return as well.

In our last several trips to Jamaica, we have arrived at our resort between 55 and 75 minutes after stepping off of our plane in MoBay. This includes going through Immigration and Customs, going to the Couples lounge, going to the Tim Air counter, flying to Negril, and taking a cab to CN. While others have not experienced a significant time savings, we always have.

At your vacation's end, however, is where you'll most appreciate the difference. If you fly, you'll get to spend an extra 2-3 hours at your resort. For us, that's always meant being able to spend our entire morning on the beach and enjoy one last lunch at the resort before flying to the airport in MoBay.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    At your vacation's end, however, is where you'll most appreciate the difference. If you fly, you'll get to spend an extra 2-3 hours at your resort. For us, that's always meant being able to spend our entire morning on the beach and enjoy one last lunch at the resort before flying to the airport in MoBay.

How do you get that much extra time at the resort on the return flight when there isn't that much difference in the time it takes to fly vs. drive? Do you not have to arrive at MBJ as early?

Quote Originally Posted by cambed View Post
    How do you get that much extra time at the resort on the return flight when there isn't that much difference in the time it takes to fly vs. drive? Do you not have to arrive at MBJ as early?
    If your staying at CSA or CN, the drive is about 1.5 hours, the flight is 15 minutes.
    Last year we had a 4:40 flight home and the shuttle we were to take was leaving CSA at 9:00 AM. We received a note on our last night to have our bags set outside our room at 7:00 AM. The front desk forgot that we were flying Timair back to MBJ. I straightened it out with no problem and we left the resort for the Negril airport at 1:45 for a 2:00 flight.
    As you can see, in our case that gave us over 4.5 extra hours at CSA. I don't know why they wanted us on a 9:00 AM shuttle for a 4:40 flight, I don't think that is normal. I think about 5 hours before your flight is usually the case. No matter what, flying back to Mobay is not only fun and a great way to see Jamaica, it will definitely give you more time at the resort.