Default Want to book CSA but Concerned!

Hello! We are getting married June 9, 2012 and have pretty much decided on CSA for our honeymoon. I've been reading on tripadvisor and these boards for the past few days and decided to see if I could get a few concerns answered. The travel agent we spoke with showed us some personal pictures but here's some things I've read that worry me.

1. I've read hte rooms have lots of bugs in them? Is this true or is it someone just looking for something to complain about?

2. Will the heat be so hot in june we won't be able to enjoy ourselves? We're looking forward to the beach, ocean, snorkeling, etc and don't want to be so hot we're miserable..

3. What room is worth the category? We want a comfy bed, would love easy access to the beach/view of the ocean would be awesome (I hear Negril has gorgeous sunsets), and a balcony would be nice.

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1) It's the tropics and CSA has very lush grounds. Bugs are a fact of life but I have certainly never found them to be an issue. We live in FL so are used to the tropical environment and it is what it is.

2) How can anyone answer that for you? Everyone's tolerance is different. You can easily look up weather statistics to see the temps and decide for yourself. We stay in the water most of the day and enjoy the balmy nights so June is fine for us and more pleasant in Jamaica than at home.

3) Again, this is subjective. We are quite happy with the Atrium Rooms. With unlimited budget we would book a Beachfront Suite but this simply is not realistic. All rooms have great balconies/terraces and the beach is never far away. If you study the Panoramic Map on this website, you will see exactly where the room categories are located.

#1--We have never had problems with bugs in 3 visits. We've seen the occasional teeny, tiny, almost invisible crawly thing, but nothing that ever bothered us. We never leave food or food trash in the room, though, because this is the tropics, after all.

#3--I totally think the BFVS is worth the money for the view and proximity to the beach. We like the 3rd floor for privacy and better views, but some people prefer the 1st floor in order to be able to walk out to the beach from their patio.

Can't help with the June question because we haven't been there then, but there's lots of shade and a really big sea to cool off in :-).

If you leave food in your room you'll attract bugs, just like at home. Also, if you leave your doors open bugs will come in, just like at home. Sometimes people expect things to be different because they are at a resort or on an island but bugs are bugs and life is life and you get what you get. We were in a BFVS in October and never saw one bug. I did see a review on trip advisor a while back that talked about bugs but I suspect they wanted to complain.

As far as weather, temps are essentially the same year round. If you read info about Jamaica you'll find that the yearly temps vary by about 4 degrees. If you are hot move into the shade, there is plenty of that at CSA.

As far as rooms, go to the CSA web page and read the descriptions as they are very accurate. A beachfront verandah suite literally steps off into the sand. The ocean view suites have obstructed views, the buildings sit behind the beachfront rooms but the buildings aren't situated directly in line with each other so you can get a view of the water but it isn't a full, unobstructed view. The garden view suites sit too far back on the resort and don't have a view of the water but the grounds are gorgeous, if an ocean view wasn't important these rooms wouldn't be a bad choice. Atrium rooms are hit and miss, a few have an ocean view and some do not and you cannot request your room so if the view is a priority for you I wouldn't book this category. All rooms have easy access to the beach, none are far it's just the views are obstructed. If the view is a priority and you really want to sit on your verandah and see the water a BFVS is your best bet, I've read that some of the BFS have some obstruction by foliage but that would be second. All the rooms have verandahs so no worries there. We found our bed to be very comfy.

First of all there are no resorts that get ALL glowing reviews and yes, some people like to complain about the smallest things.

Yes, there are bugs in the tropics, but we never had any in our room. Some people leave sodas or food laying around and the bugs come to find those treasures. If you don't leave food or drinks laying around, then you should have no problems with bugs.

I have never been to CSA in June, but again you are going to the tropics where it is hot, so that is a given that the temperature will be up there. I don't believe it will be so oppressive that you can't enjoy yourselves. The ocean, the pools and the air conditioned room will be great cool off places.

As far as what room....I would suggest a Beachfront Verandah Suite or an Ocean Verandah Suite. The BFVS would have you directly on the beach and the OVS is the line of building right behind the BFVS. The rooms are identical except for location.

You are going to love CSA. It is so beautiful and romantic. We can't wait to get back there and I check the message boards often just to get my CSA fix. The beach is the most gorgeous one I have ever seen and the food and drink is the best. Enjoy. CSA ROCKS!!!!!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You have chosen one of the most romantic places to enjoy your honeymoon. Let's see if we can answer your questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess_415 View Post
    1. I've read the rooms have lots of bugs in them? Is this true or is it someone just looking for something to complain about?
    No bugs in the rooms...maybe sand fleas in the sand after dark but none in the rooms.
    2. Will the heat be so hot in june we won't be able to enjoy ourselves? We're looking forward to the beach, ocean, snorkeling, etc and don't want to be so hot we're miserable..
    Haven't been to Jamaica in June (only April) but never felt it was so hot as to not enjoy ourselves. The weather is pretty constant, being so close to the equator, so the real variant would be humidity. A dip in the ocean takes care of either though.
    3. What room is worth the category? We want a comfy bed, would love easy access to the beach/view of the ocean would be awesome (I hear Negril has gorgeous sunsets), and a balcony would be nice.
    All room categories have "comfy beds" but if you want easy access to the beach/view of the ocean and a balcony then a Beachfront Suite (BFS) would be ideal. Oh and yes Negril does have gorgeous sunsets.
    Here's a link to photos we took last year at CSA including some of and from our BFS:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecsimso...7624040604608/.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Bart & Bug

No bugs. They spray inside and out alot
    Nice breeze most of the time, will be humid so you will probably want to skip foundation Too beautiful to not enjoy yourselves
    Beachfront verandah suite is what we had and it was perfect! Totally worth the money, we will book it again when we go back. Huge verandah and comfy bed! Best view for sunsets during Dec. not sure about June??? I would call the hotel to see how the sunsets that time of the year if it is on the top of your list, may have to go with the sunrise

1. I've read the rooms have lots of bugs in them? Is this true or is it someone just looking for something to complain about? We didnt see one bug in our room! But dont leave food out cause the ants will find it.

2. Will the heat be so hot in june we won't be able to enjoy ourselves? We're looking forward to the beach, ocean, snorkeling, etc and don't want to be so hot we're miserable..We didnt find it to be to hot at all in June. It felt like it was in the 90's. when you get warm just hop in the ocean or pool.

3. What room is worth the category? We want a comfy bed, would love easy access to the beach/view of the ocean would be awesome (I hear Negril has gorgeous sunsets), and a balcony would be nice.All rooms have easy access to beach and a balcony. Our favorite( but it might be all booked) is the atruim. It has a huge balcony and the only room with a hammock.

Dont worry about the negitive reviews some people are just really hard to please, but I would recommed looking at all the pictures. Pictures being worth a thousands words.

If you do come to CSA We will see you one the Beach cause we will be there june 8-16 for the second time. See the June 2011 list of who else is going.

Thanks so much!
    I do realize that bugs are a part of the tropics I wasn't expecting a vacation 100% bug free however I have seen pictures of the open type layout and I didn't want to be fighting off bugs in my sleep.. I appreciate the input!
    And I realize weather is subjective and I have read the weather temps for Jamacia -- we are from Ohio so HUmidity we can handle however I have been to the Bahamas in late spring/early summer and the sun was scorching and the water was almost boiling (we heard it was unseasonably hot when we were there, and I was a bit younger then), and really just wondered from people who had been what they thought. I plan on enjoying the gorgeous ocean and pool to cool off anyhow

The room category is our big decision to make, thanks for your input although there are pictures on the site, again I appreciate a personal experience.

We have always stayed in an Atrium or BFS and there are some bugs. If someone tells you there are no bugs in those they are probably just not looking. These rooms are awesome but there are small bugs. We have always seen more on the lower floors than the top though. Maybe the other rooms that have glass in all the windows don't have as many though. I noticed that the people who say there are no bugs are also recommending the ones that have glass so that might be a factor. One HUGE factor in this is how much food you leave in your room. If you bring a snack back to the room or order breakfast, DON'T leave any of it sitting in the room. Ants and other bugs will be there in a hurry. We eat on the balcony or porch and then put the dishes outside of the front door. Anything we want to save goes in the fridge. As soon as we move into a room we see bugs even though the room is clean so it's not like we are attracting them. I assumed bugs would come for the food so we kept it outside and they did come for it on the porch.

A comfy bed is pretty subjective. I don't find the beds to be comfortable at all but I like a soft bed.

I prefer the rooms with screens because I love all the windows and the breeze you get with the screens. These rooms also don't share a wall with anyone so you have windows on all sides and it feels like your own private bungalow rather than a hotel room. The shutters are beautiful and the porches are great. The Atrium is an awesome value and a lot more peaceful and quiet than a BFS but you will have a better ocean view with a BFS. Some Atriums have a partial view but it is pretty limited. The rooms are the same for the most part, just the location if different. The Atriums are a few feet farther away from the ocean so you would walk maybe 30 seconds instead of 20. All the rooms at CSA are very close to the beach though. Having already stayed in both we still prefer the Atrium. You might be able to book a longer trip in an Atrium for the same price as a shorter trip in the BFS.

Even though it is hot and humid there is a breeze and you have access to all that water and cold drinks so you should be comfortable. If not, just jump in a pool!.

1. We've always stayed in a 2nd or 3rd floor room at CSA and have never seen anything more than a few very small ants. As others have said, do be sure not to leave any food out in the room. I have seen posts that lower floors tend to experience a few more creepy crawlies, not just at CSA, but anywhere in the Caribbean. It's the tropics, bugs are part of the equation.

2. Yup, June will certainly be hot. Something to keep in mind is that all of the restaurants, except for Feathers, are open air. However, you will spend most of your daytime either in the water or on the beach in a swimsuit. It's not like you'll be dressed up. During the evening, the open air restaurants have ceiling fans. I personally find that skipping the make-up makes life more enjoyable when it's so hot. Maybe just some lipstick. You don't want to worry about your mascara running because it's hot.

3. Bed comfort seems to be very subjective. I personally think the beds are very comfortable. If you want to be RIGHT ON THE BEACH, get a beachfront verandah suite. They all have balconies. The balconies include a couch, table, chair, and a ceiling fan. Pure heaven. However, some of the rooms may have an obstructed view of the sunset. One year we had a 2nd floor BFVS room and there was a palm tree that blocked the sunset view from our balcony. We usually try to get a third floor room for this reason, but of course there are no guarantees on room floors.

So, do some of the rooms need updated? Yes, but this is true of almost any hotel or resort. The rooms are basic, but they are clean and you can't beat the location.

Hi Jess! We just recently booked CSA for July. We are newbies so I read alot on the boards. I had a hard time deciding on the room too. Someone else posted this link to pictures of the rooms at CSA and it really helped me to decide on the room. We booked an Atrium room because of the hammock and the fact that we could stay another night for the price difference between a BFVS and the Atrium. I am hoping to get a first floor room but will be happy either way. I like the idea of being able to open the windows and get a breeze if we want too.