Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What should you NOT pack in checked luggage

Keep in mind, I'm a 1st time traveler. Have flown a total of 2 times and never internationally. I'm sure Cash, Cameras, I-Pod's and Jewelry would be a (no, no). What would also fall under that "I'm not sure if I would put that in my checked luggage". What about Cologne/Perfume and sun tan lotions??

I am in the process of planning my packing right now so I guess you and I are in the same boat. My sunscreen because I am bring bottles that are larger then the allow 3 oz will be going into my checked bag but into ziploc bags. I dont wear perfumes so that isnt a problem for me but I would suggest that if you are bringing the full size bottle that you put it in your checked bag but dont forget to place it in a ziploc bag. But if you can try and find a smaller version of your favorite perfume so that you can place it in your carry-on. Honestly my rule of thumb for packing will be anything that's important to me will be in my carry on, because from what I have read whether you lock your bag or not "some" TSA agents could go into your bag and steal your stuff.

You will want to carry all valuables with you. Just use a little common sense and you will be fine. Your checked bags will be out of your control and its better to be safe than sorry. You wouldn't want to run the risk (although very rare) of having your bags broken into, stolen or lost. That being said, it is probably best to keep all cash, jewelry, electronics, and travel documents in your control. Do not check anything you absolutely could not replace.

Assuming you are coming from the US, you are limited to the amount of liquids and gels you can carry onto a plane. The current standards can be found on the TSA website. http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Typically, each passenger can carry a 1 Quart clear plastic bag with original containers of less than 3.4 oz (100ml).

If you are bringing larger bottles of sunscreen/cologne you will have to put the larger bottles of liquids in your checked luggage that goes under the plane.

Another tip would be to put some of your clothes in your partners bag. Should your bag be lost or stolen, you will want to have a change of clothes until the airline gets your luggage to you.

Some travelers to Jamaica travel very light and can get a weeks worth of beach clothes all in their carry-ons. I am not saying it is for everyone, but packing light is a skill some people take a lot of pride in doing.

I would leave the cologne/perfume at home, but that's your call since it's your vacation! As for other stuff, anything I cannot carry on (liquids) goes into a ziplock bag and into our checked luggage. This includes shampoo and any lotions or bug spray we might take.
    As for what we do not check... anything valuable (electronic or otherwise) and prescription meds. Overall though I would suggest that expensive things you don't need (like jewelry) be left at home. Again, your call though.

If you don't pack cologne/perfume or suntan lotions, they must not be over 3 oz and everything liquid must fit in a 1 qt. zip loc bag in your carry on. Each person gets only one 1qt bag. Meds can go in carry on but keep in RX bottle. If they are liquid, they can go in a separate 1qt bag. Pull both bags out as you go through security. I forgot last year and ended up holding up the line (sorry to anyone who may have been behind me). Our youngest has an epi pen and this goes in our carry on with benadryl and in a separate 1 qt bag. As you stated electronics, jewelry, cash should be in your carry on.

In our carry on, we have our camera, 3-1-1 bag, meds a change of clothes and a swim suit. That way if our luggage is delayed we can change. In my 3-1-1 bag I will put a small sunscreen also.
    Vicky

There are restrictions for liquids/lotions/creams that you can actually bring on board the plane in your carry-on. You can only bring 3 ounce bottles, and only enough that will fit in a quart size plastic bag. The Cologne/perfume, and sun tan lotions will need to go in your checked luggage if bigger than the 3 ounces. Just put them in plastic bags inside your suitcase and you'll be fine. That way if they leak they won't leak all over your clothes.

Any liquids you carry on have to be less than 3oz and all of the liquids have to fit in a small (qt) ziplock bag. Liquids includes creams like sun tan lotion, toothpaste, hairspray, etc. Keep anything you have to have with you (medicine) and anything valuable. Also pack a swim suit and a change of clothes with you in case you luggage does not make it.

Amy

I bring my sun tan lotions and perfumes in my checked bags since they are liquids, I just put them in a ziploc in case of spills.

Anything valuable or absolutely necessary should go in your carry-on, such as medications, laptop, etc.

Correct on what you listed. We have also learned that jewelry should be kept in your purse or hubby's backpack! He had a one of a kind gold & silver necklace taken when we boarded a plane with too small overhead bins for wheel aboards He had it n the top small front pocket. Only with the baggage handlers for literally minutes.....
    Tip on the lotions and other liquids/creams, double ziploc them! That way if one leaks you already have a dry ziploc for the return home Have a BLAST!!!!!!

Be sure any medications that you might need are in your carry-on. Cologne/perfume and sun tan lotions all count towards your liquids, which is limited to one quart size bag of items that are no more than 3.5oz. Be careful of any snacks you take along as well, they may also contain liquids I wasn't thinking one time and packed pudding snacks, and cheese/breadstick snacks. They both were taken because the pudding of course is liquid, and the cheese was also considered liquid.
    Linda

Cuban cigars

If you pack anything "battery" operated... remove the batteries first....

Aerosol sunscreen can not go in carry on unless 3 oz and in 1qt bag. We were behind a lady last year that had 3 bottles of sunscreen taken from her carry on because they were aerosol. Also, put them in zip loc bags in case they leak in your checked bag.
    Vicky

PUT ALL YOUR LIQUIDS, GELS, ETC IN ZIPLOCKS!!! Even in your checked luggage. Seriously, they leak or explode and you do not want that all over your clothing. I put all the toiletries into gallon ziplocks in the checked luggage and bring a few extras too because there will always be at least one that is full of goo or something and I would rather not reuse it.

In addition to my valuables, I also keep out a toothbrush and small toothpaste in case we get stranded somewhere. I like to put a bathing suit in my carryon too in case our luggage is lost or delayed.

we like the aerosal can sunscreen, cuz you can spray it on without having to get it all over your hands like the lotion-type. Would that be ok in the checked luggage - any potential problem with the aerosal can / pressurization?

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkim View Post
    If you pack anything "battery" operated... remove the batteries first....
    Is this just in carry on's or can things in checked baggage have batteries? Does this mean we have to buy batteries for our toys in Jamaica ?

Quote Originally Posted by sc_dixiedude View Post
    Is this just in carry on's or can things in checked baggage have batteries? Does this mean we have to buy batteries for our toys in Jamaica ?
    I would just have the batteries separate ... one year another couple we were going with had something in a suitcase that started up while the limo driver was loading the bag.... of she said it was her hubby's electric shaver..... carry on not a good idea ... it would stink if you are pulled to the side to have you carry on checked before you got on the plane... haha

As for batteries... in our twenty years of going to JA there has been a surprising number of times when someone's 'personal toy' began to vibrate in their luggage. It's an embarrassing ordeal for the owners. I think the other poster was trying to make an important and valuable suggestion in as classy a way as possible. Spare Rechargable batteries (any one not installed in a device) of any kind need to be in carry-on and properly and safely stored or packaged.
    BTW- read the TSA battery rules for Lithium Batteries and other batteries here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

As for spray sunscreen... it needs to go in checked luggage. Aerosol is allowed for 'personal use' so spray on sunblock in reasonable amounts is fine but the Lysol we used to take to spray musty rooms is not.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by rhallva; April 6th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

I am bringing two mini flashlights, because they are small I had planned on putting them in my carry on. Do I need to take the batteries out of them? and I am bringing extra batteries can I bring batteries into my carry-on

Make sure the flashlights can't be turned on accidentally. The twist type are usually pretty secure, but push button or slider types can be turned on. Best case you kill the battery, worst case an incandescent bulb gets hot enough to start a fire. Taking out the batteries is always a prudent measure.

I've always wanted to head to Couples with nothing but the clothes on my back (and kindle in my pocket). The wife of course immediately ixnays this plan! I'm gonna try for just carry on luggage though, we always overpack or anticipate lots of gift purchases coming back and bring in school supplies and so budget surplus space for that.

The only time anyone ever made me put my carryon in that little bin to make sure it it fit, my sonic care toothbrush started buzzing! lol I had the top taken off so it looked weird. I said it was my toothbrush and took it out to turn it off but people were looking at me weird. I guess without the brush part on top it does NOT look like a toothbrush! No way to take the batteries out of those though.

Quote Originally Posted by sc_dixiedude View Post
    You guys are crazy!! I'll make sure to tell the wife about the batteries and other essentials....

I would NOT pack any cologne/perfume of any value. This past trip, which was our 4th and we never had a problem before, we had both expensive bottles we each use stolen from our bags. Made me so mad!

I had two bottles of perfume stolen from my bag too

After Christmas this year my fiance and I found some teeny tiny perfumes (1/2 oz. stocking stuffers) on clearance so I picked a couple up in anticipation of our honeymoon at CSS in 03/2012. Of course the TSA rules regulate all liquids or gels be in containers of 3.4 oz or less and fit in one 1 qt zip top bag, but our plan is to take some partially used (approved size) containers for items we may rarely need, that way when we use them up we can pitch them out instead of taking a full bottle and bringing home a 1/2 empty bottle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast