Thread: Water bottles

Default Water bottles

About a year ago I heard that Couples Resorts was going to give guests water bottles instead of bottles of water. Has this gone into effect on all Couples Resorts yet?

At CTI they give you a reusable water bottle.

So far the water bottles are just given out at CTI,but from what I understand they will be coming to all Couples resorts.

I know they do it at CTI and hope they do it at CSS and CSA before we get there next year! I LOVE the tap water there and really prefer it to the bottled water. Plus a neat water bottle is an awesome souvenir! I am assuming they have to add ice and water machines all over the resorts so that might take a while. At CSA I noticed ice machines outside the newer buildings but we prefer the older side so we haven't had one near our room yet. I usually just use the one at Seagrapes when it's open.

I sure hope so! When I first heard that plan, I thought it was a great idea! Much more "green" than all the small bottles of water everywhere!

Only CTI and on a side note I actually saw someone selling two on eBay... starting bid was 20 bucks... ha ha

A few trips ago I got an aluminum travel mug type cup in the gift shop and I use that for water. It's insulated so that is nice but the lid does not stay on very well so you have to actually carry rather than just toss it in your bag.

Since they already recylcle the wada bottles I see this as a cost cutting measure and not "green", just like the shampoo, lotion and soap dispensers. The plastic bottles they used to give out could also be recycled. This too cuts costs. We come mainly for the the weather and the beach but this type of thing is what one would expect from a moderate and not a high end deluxe resort chain that Couples holds itself out to be.

Another thought. I see a hygiene/sanitation issue with having a water bottle. How do they expect the guests to keep them clean for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    Since they already recylcle the wada bottles I see this as a cost cutting measure and not "green", just like the shampoo, lotion and soap dispensers. The plastic bottles they used to give out could also be recycled. This too cuts costs. We come mainly for the the weather and the beach but this type of thing is what one would expect from a moderate and not a high end deluxe resort chain that Couples holds itself out to be.
    It's still better for the environment to use a refillable bottle than a bunch of pre-filled ones. A lot of fuel and energy goes into producing the pre-filled ones plus they have to transport them. Plus you have to transport them back to the recycling center and all of that. True that recycling is already greener than not but this would be even more green. Plus so many folks don't bother to recycle the bottles even though the trash cans are right next to the recycling cans. That drove me nuts! lol

Default dish detergent

our bottles were looking a bit funky by the end of the week, they need to provide something to wash them with.

I agree with the idea that they are a hygiene concern even if they provided soap for washing...you can't force people to use it and I'm guessing a lot of folks wouldn't being on vacation. It's the same principle as refilling a beverage out of a cup, most of the restaurants where we live give you a new cup instead of refilling the one you've been using. The rim of the cup touches the lever that triggers the fluid to fill your cup, most people aren't careful about keeping the rim from touching. Now spit is on this lever, if I give my cup (or water bottle) to a bartender to be filled I can't control how it gets touched so spit transfers to my cup or bottle. If someone has a cold, flu, any variety of illness I'm exposed on my bottle or cup. Using a clean cup for a drink is always better. I'd love to have a bottle, just not sure I'd love to have your cold. We bring water bottles from home to use for water on the beach because they are insulated and stay cold longer. We fill them from the tap in our room. I'm all for green but we also have to be reasonable about health. As far as our bottles getting "funky", we always dumped them out and left them upside down to drain and dry overnight and didn't seem to have a problem.

I will probably end up buying bottled water at a store like I am doing now to have RSL beer in the room

If everyone washes their bottle everyday won't that waste water?
    They have the cards in the room about conserving water by re-using sheets and towels if you can. Plus if we all bring little plastic bottles of dish soap it seems to be defeating any "green" purpose of this most unwlecome change.

as a repeater to couples i was so disappointed to see they started handing out bottled water. it's wasteful, expensive and really unnecessary when their tap water is completely safe to drink. i refuse to accept any bottled water while i'm there and drink only tap.

as for a reusable water bottle, there is a definite hygiene concern with this when it comes to cleaning and refilling. if the spigot touches the mouth piece of the water bottle all sort of stuff can be passed along.

i say couples resorts back to good old tap water and save the money and the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    I agree with the idea that they are a hygiene concern even if they provided soap for washing...you can't force people to use it and I'm guessing a lot of folks wouldn't being on vacation. It's the same principle as refilling a beverage out of a cup, most of the restaurants where we live give you a new cup instead of refilling the one you've been using. The rim of the cup touches the lever that triggers the fluid to fill your cup, most people aren't careful about keeping the rim from touching. Now spit is on this lever, if I give my cup (or water bottle) to a bartender to be filled I can't control how it gets touched so spit transfers to my cup or bottle. If someone has a cold, flu, any variety of illness I'm exposed on my bottle or cup. Using a clean cup for a drink is always better. I'd love to have a bottle, just not sure I'd love to have your cold. We bring water bottles from home to use for water on the beach because they are insulated and stay cold longer. We fill them from the tap in our room. I'm all for green but we also have to be reasonable about health. As far as our bottles getting "funky", we always dumped them out and left them upside down to drain and dry overnight and didn't seem to have a problem.
    I agree with your point on the germs but people are already filling their cups multiple times so we are probably already exposed. I don't know if it is the same at the other resorts but at CSA there are plenty of people refilling their cup at Seagrapes and the Cabana Grill. I guess if everyone had a bottle there would be a higher chance of contamination though.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise View Post
    as a repeater to couples i was so disappointed to see they started handing out bottled water. it's wasteful, expensive and really unnecessary when their tap water is completely safe to drink. i refuse to accept any bottled water while i'm there and drink only tap.

as for a reusable water bottle, there is a definite hygiene concern with this when it comes to cleaning and refilling. if the spigot touches the mouth piece of the water bottle all sort of stuff can be passed along.

i say couples resorts back to good old tap water and save the money and the environment.
    I prefer the tap water too and ask for it specifically except when we are going onto the dive boat and I can't bring a cup. My reusable one from the gift shop would lose the cap when it tipped over so that wasn't an option. I think the tap water tastes a lot better than the bottled water anyway! I wish mine was that good at home.

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    Another thought. I see a hygiene/sanitation issue with having a water bottle. How do they expect the guests to keep them clean for a week?
    Just politely ask one of the bartenders to wash them for you.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!