Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

After months of agonzing on which room and then which room type, we finially booked Swept Away. Now I have started worrying about the details. I have read almost 1 years worth of posting and still have a couple of questions.

Like every other first timer, agonizing over what to wear at night. Most everything that can be said has been said. Would be nice if we could all get together and shop for our Couples dresses. <sigh> My quesition is we are going in Sept. Will capri's be too warm?

For lunch, they say cover ups are required. Several of my coverups only are really short. Is that a problem? Do I need to have a pair of shorts for those days?

I live in a desert so humidity is something foreign to me. I saw someplace that forget about wearing foundation. What other types of make-up doesn't work in hot and humid?

Everyone says you can leave your stuff on the beach while you do something else. What are the things that you are comfortable leaving?

New Kindle owner. Do you take your kindle down to the sand or use a regular book on the beach?

We have a BFVS. Still can't decide which floor I am hoping for. Is there anything else we should be aware of in accepting a location?

A few answers:

1. There is no way I would wear capri's in Jamaica. I almost always wear some kind of sleeveless/strapless/halter sundress to dinner. Some dressier, some more casual, but always a dress. It's hot. (and I'm from Florida.)
    2. I usually wear either a shortie cover up or a sarong tied under my arms. Neither is "long". As long as you are not wet and have shoes on, you'll be OK.
    3. Two words: Bare Minerals. Yup. Works great at night. I start with Mac Prep n Prime face, and put the bare minerals on top. Stays on like a dream.
    4. I pretty much leave everything, but I put it in my bag. That includes phone/kindle/hat/towel, etc. No one is going to go through your beach bag while you are gone, IMO. Note: If you have a chair VERY close to the waterline, you might want to move it inland a little bit before you leave.
    5. I take my Kindle right down to the beach with me..... but that's just the way I am. Why not use/enjoy it if you have it, right??
    6. Can't answer. We are addicted to the Atrium suites.

Enjoy your trip.
    34 days and counting for us.......

V
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

I would take a real book, that way when you decide to read it again in the future it will have some Negril sand in it.

I live in a desert so humidity is something foreign to me. I saw someplace that forget about wearing foundation. What other types of make-up doesn't work in hot and humid?We too are from the desert, we loved the weather in Jamaica. Went in June and loved the weather. People from north complain when it gets in the 90's if your like us that just a warm day, when your summer normal is 115. AS for makeup only put it on at night,so my fondation was fine. Wait until you feel that water that falls from the sky there I think its called rain, lol

Everyone says you can leave your stuff on the beach while you do something else. What are the things that you are comfortable leaving?We left everything by our chairs: books,room key, money,camara, clothes. We would just put things back in beach bag.

Your going to love it. 60 days to go.

They aren't really going to evaluate your cover-up, there is no measuring stick or any other means by which they judge it. They just won't let you go into the restaurants, even the casual ones, in just a swim suit. I guess I assume it's sort of like at home...no shirt, no shoes, no service. I don't want to sit and eat my meal and look at some guys hairy chest or watch some girl sit on a chair in her thong swim suit and think that I might be sitting on that chair tomorrow. Just think of common decency but it's casual.

Temps in Jamaica vary by a few degrees all year. Capris in the evening at any time are fine.

As far as humidity and make-up this really could be personal. Foundation can get uncomfortable but beyond that you could probably wear anything, some may tell you they don't but foundation will be the worst. Eye shadow would likely be the next biggest problem but unless you wear it heavy you should be just fine. I really wouldn't get yourself too uptight about the make-up, evenings are generally cool enough you can wear your make-up, it's just some prefer to keep it simple.

I have left everything on the beach including my camera bag with lenses and such. Obviously you can run across a dishonest person at any time so no one can guarantee you that things will be safe but we've been to Jamaica 15 times and always left our things on our chairs to swim or go have lunch and never had anything touched.

When you say "accepting a location" for your room remember that you may not have a real choice. If I were you I'd go with the idea that any room is going to be fabulous. Again this is really personal. Some like the first floor for it's convenience. Some like the second or third floors for the privacy. We also had a BFVS and opted not to request a location, just took the room we got, so we could just see what we liked about the room we got. Since you've never been you won't really know for sure what your preference is until you've been there for a few days.

Thanks everyone for your help. It really does help.

Vee, the reason I was asking is that my husband thinks I look better in capris than a sun dress. I wish, I wish I could find a sun dress that looks good.

Redinthehead. Yes, 90 degrees is for wimps, but of course it is a dry heat ;->.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help. It really does help.

Vee, the reason I was asking is that my husband thinks I look better in capris than a sun dress. I wish, I wish I could find a sun dress that looks good.

Redinthehead. Yes, 90 degrees is for wimps, but of course it is a dry heat ;->.
    The resort we have stayed at the past 14 trips to Jamaica was very casual, you saw people in dresses but most wore capris or shorts in the evening. In fact it wasn't unusual to see a few in their swim suits with cover-ups like at lunch...they were more dress looking cover-ups but you knew what it was. October was our first trip to Couples so I went a little more casual and took mostly capris. I was not hot at all. Next time I may bring more dresses just because so many women wear them at night but not because I was too warm. There will be others in capris, especially dressier ones with a nice top. You'll be fine.