Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good Beach Books???

Only 15 days till we head to CSA!!! Whoo hoo!!! I also just bought a nook which I love. Any good recomendations on books to read while laying on the beach?

I just got a nook and love it. I downloaded autobiography by Stephanie Powers (Hart to Hart). I have to find a few more, so I will be open to suggestions also.

James Patterson-Beach Road Fast novel read. Great shocker ending

I saw alot of people reading the Steig Larson Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series when we were at CTI. I love that series so download if if you haven't read it. It is however so addictive (once you get halfway through the first book..first part is slow) that it could consume your vacation

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah is a great book that keeps you entertained. Also, I loved all the Confessions of a Shopaholic books, movie not so much, but the books are very funny! Have a great vacation!!

Fatal Treasure. It chronicles Mel Fisher's search for treasure south of the Florida Keys. "Islands in the Stream" by Hemingway is also a favorite of mine (a bit of a downer sometimes). Also, Herman Wauk's "Don't Stop the Carnival". Have Fun!

If you haven't read the Millenium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) those are great vacation reads. Not sure what your genre or gender is. Good non-fiction, humor beach books are "Sh$%^t my Dad Says," and Chelsea Handler's, "My Horizontal Life," or anything by David Sedaris. "The Help," is another good beach read. A beautifully written memoir and one of my favorites I've read in recent years is "Waiting for Snow in Havana." Say more about what kind of books you like for suggestions more tailored to your interests.

The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Any of Tim Dorseys books!!!!

stuart woods.. stone barrington series for the man, holly barker series for the lady.. .. both series are awesome. short chapters make stopping or re-reading a chapter easy if distracted of people watching. lol

Default anything by stuart woods

Stone Barrington series or Holly Barker series are both excellent. Thats what i packed for CN next week!!!

I generally read a book a day on vacation. Ready for the next trip:

The newest Vince Flynn novel featuring Scot Howarth
    2 Harlan Coben novels featuring Myron Bolitar
    Two of the Steig Larsson trilogy

If you haven't read the Harry Potter books, they would be fun!! Eat, Pray, Love is wonderful. Patterson and Kellerman are always fun reads. The Twilight series is also fun.

I LOVE to read, unfortunately I have to do so much professional "serious" reading normally I gravitate towards anything light, easy, and fun for vacations. Great thread. I'll buy others' recommendations.

I would suggest almost anything by Nelson DeMille or Tess Gerritson. They are reliable good writers that can keep you interested. Another good one for the gals is Jodi Picoult. The Kindle or Nook are really neat for travel reading.

Kingston by Starlight, pirate story involving Jamaica. Fiction but based on a true story.

If you haven't read them, definitely the Millenium series (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest). Be sure to download all three at once, because once you finish one, you'll want to read the next one to find out what happens! I'm sure all three would last you through your vacation!

If you're into the "Chick Lit" genre, anything by Marian Keyes is good ("The Other Side of the Story" and "Is There Anyone Out There?"), and Plum Sykes has two books which are fun. Emily Giffin is good too ("Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" were surprisingly great reads!).

Cathy Kelly is an Irish author who has a similar writing style to Maeve Binchy- I'd recommend the Cathy Kelly's "Just Between Us", "Someone Like You", "Best of Friends", "What She Wants" and "Always and Forever".

Heavier reads which are excellent are "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry and "Someone Knows My Name" by Lawrence Hill (this is the USA title- the novel has a different title in Canada).

Harlen Coben is an excellent author in the suspense genre, "Promise Me" is a good one; and Greg Iles "Turning Angel" and "The Devil's Punchbowl". Also "Hornet's Nest" by Patricia Cornwell.

I'd echo some of the others' comments. Stieg Larsson, Nelson DeMille -- both great. Last trip to CSS, I also read a recommendation from another thread like this: Water for Elephants. One of the best books I've read in a LONG time. I also love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. She's got a fabulous sarcastic voice, and they are just steamy enough to make me want to jump DH when we get back to the room. LOL.

Some oldies, but goodies are The Red Tent, Mistress of Spices, KiteRunner, Through a Glass Darkly.

Like caviargirl, I usually read a book a day (unless it's REALLY long....) And I'll be taking some suggestions from this thread for the upcoming trip to CSA.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

The number series by Janet Evonovich. I laugh out loud.
    One for the money
    Two for the dough
    Three to get deadly
    and so on. I'm currently reading number 16, 17 comes out this summer!

I second David Sedaris! I would recommend starting out with "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" and "Me Talk Pretty One Day". Those are my two faves. Hilarious stuff.

I just finished reading Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" and it was an excellent read. MUCH better than the movie. (Aren't they always???)

I have not read it, but have heard great things about "Water For Elephants".

Happy reading, and happy vacationing!

Default Books?

How about some more book suggestions for books about Jamaica please.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

How about "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton. A great pirate adventure that takes place primarily in Jamaica!

Quote Originally Posted by mark527 View Post
    How about some more book suggestions for books about Jamaica please.
    The Pirates Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson is a fictional story based on the rumor that the actor Errol Flynn fathered a daughter in Jamaica in the 1940's

My husband and I both love Stuart Woods and often times we each read a book a day. Not sure if you know it or not but there is a library just past the Martini Bar where you can either get or leave books. We always leave books behind for others to enjoy.

Mainegirl

I would recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen. Easy and hilarious reads. They're about crazy people and adventures that would only happen in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Mon View Post
    I second David Sedaris! I would recommend starting out with "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" and "Me Talk Pretty One Day". Those are my two faves. Hilarious stuff.

I just finished reading Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" and it was an excellent read. MUCH better than the movie. (Aren't they always???)

I have not read it, but have heard great things about "Water For Elephants".

Happy reading, and happy vacationing!

David Sedaris is quite funny. I would also recommend The Lovely Bones but it can be a little sad. Maybe not a vacation book. Water for Elephants was a beautiful book but I had to constantly take breaks from it because it made me sad.

If you are at all into wine, "Summer in a Glass" by Evan Dawson.
    Just released. It is really about the background of some of the top winemakers in the Finger Lakes, NY wine country.
    Really great reading.
    Mi love fi binaked inna Jamaica
    (Patois for: I Love To Be Naked in Jamaica / At the island or SSB Mon!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast