Default Night time snorkeling

Has anyone done the night time snorkeling at couples negril? Curious if its worth the money.

Thanks!

I wish I had the courage to try it! I'm sure it would be really interesting but the ocean at night gives me the creeps! Lol

Default Night Snorkling

SC,

My wife and I did it the last trip to CN. We were a little cautious about it. They took us out right after sunset. We went to a reef around 1/4 mile off CSA. They gave everyone an underwater lantern. We were concerned that everything would be black except for where the beam of light was pointed. In fact with our group of 8 plus the guides the light seemed to reflect quite a bit and gave you quite a bit of visibility. We got to see lots of fish, crabs and lobsters you just don't see in the daytime. As we were coming out of the water we got a light show from some thunder storms on the horizon.

It turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.

Highly recommended.

While I have not done it, it is not very expensive. I hear it is a blast!

I've done it a couple of times, and you really should go! it's cool enough snorkeling with the big flashlight they give you (and, yes, you do still see enough to be interesting), but they get everyone together, find a certain school of fish, and have them turn their flashlights and kick, and the fish light up...too cool not to see!

My husband and I did the night snorkeling on our trip to CN last May. Totally worth it and kind of scary at first but a total rush and differently worth the money. We plan to do it again on our next trip to CN in 101 days.

I tried it at CSA and did not like it at all. They go to the same sites so it should be the same at CN and CSA. Many people said they loved it but it just wasn't fun and we didn't see anything we hadn't already seen diving or snorkeling. The other guest (some who said they go 4-5 times per trip) were so rude and greedy. If there was anything to see they would literally push others out of the way so they could get to it first. I spent most of the time trying to avoid the other swimmers and the reef. Out of about a dozen people there was one other couple who would actually look where they were going and be polite to everyone else. The other guests would crash into everyone else, kick people in the face, shove them into the reef and shine their lights in other people's eyes! Not only does it really hurt to hit the reef, but it is awful for the reef too.

The moon was bright when we were there so you could see everyone else but it was very hard to see under water since the lights are not very bright.

The whole thing was just a big chaotic mess. I would not do it again. The people we talked to who liked it were the ones that we spent all our time trying to avoid. The people who did not like it had the same complaints as us. We were all bleeding and cut up by the time we got back to the boat so that was no fun.
    Last edited by melody; April 9th, 2011 at 08:05 PM.

Hi there...

My husband did it two years ago when we were in CN. AND HE LOVED IT... so much he went night-snorkling twice... Bet he'll do it again when we go this year. Go and enjoy... it's CN after all.

Yes, I did it and I would do it again. Saw a bunch of different fish we did not see during the day. And there is something about swimming in the ocean at night that was fun.

YES, YES, YES!!!! We have done it 2x, best thing we have done there! Just did it a few weeks ago!

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

Default snorkeling

We did it our first time to CN and enjoyed it. We got a chance to see all kinds of interesting stuff....my husband got to hold a puffer fish.

Our honest opinion - something that we are gald we did once but not something we would do again. We went with 3 other couples out in the dark ocean. They have everyone stay close together and close to the light to follow. The problem with that no one can see where they are and we got kicked alot by other snorklers. It is work to do it. Again - we are glad we did it but once was enough.

We would recommend you at least try it once.

Thanks everyone!!! Pretty sure we will be trying it out!! We leave in 5dys.

Can anyone tell me what time night snorkeling departs...or any certain days it departs...and how long you stay out??
    For me it is for Negril or CTI since I will be at both...or if someone knows if one is better than the other???
    Eric & Rachael, New Braunfels TX
    CTI 2010
    CN/CTI 2011
    CTI 2012
    CTI 2013 (Gotta Love Early Booking Specials)

My husband did the night snorkeling in June. There were no set days/times posted. You sign up at the water sports hut for the night you're interested in and if there is enough people signed up, then they go out. If not, they let you know by 3 p.m. the day of. When we went, my husband asked how many people were signed up when and was sure to pick a night when he knew there were enough people. The boat left at 6:30 and he got back around 8. The cost was $35 which was charged to the room.

He really enjoyed it. He said he did not see many fish (but we saw plenty of those during the day). He saw lots of starfish, sea urchins, lobsters, squid, etc which you don't see during the day. As others have posted, the guides kept the group together so there was some bumping into each other. His recommendation is that if you're comfortable without a life vest, you should choose NOT to use one. It was the people in the life vests who were getting knocked around by the current.

Quote Originally Posted by photochick5 View Post
    I wish I had the courage to try it! I'm sure it would be really interesting but the ocean at night gives me the creeps! Lol
    Yeah, me too. I keep telling myself I am going to try in next January, but only time will tell. My wife would like to do it and we've seen some of the pictures and they are phenomenal!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I tried it at CSA and did not like it at all. They go to the same sites so it should be the same at CN and CSA. Many people said they loved it but it just wasn't fun and we didn't see anything we hadn't already seen diving or snorkeling. The other guest (some who said they go 4-5 times per trip) were so rude and greedy. If there was anything to see they would literally push others out of the way so they could get to it first. I spent most of the time trying to avoid the other swimmers and the reef. Out of about a dozen people there was one other couple who would actually look where they were going and be polite to everyone else. The other guests would crash into everyone else, kick people in the face, shove them into the reef and shine their lights in other people's eyes! Not only does it really hurt to hit the reef, but it is awful for the reef too.

The moon was bright when we were there so you could see everyone else but it was very hard to see under water since the lights are not very bright.

The whole thing was just a big chaotic mess. I would not do it again. The people we talked to who liked it were the ones that we spent all our time trying to avoid. The people who did not like it had the same complaints as us. We were all bleeding and cut up by the time we got back to the boat so that was no fun.
    I think you just talked me out of it!!!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015