Default Anywhere to run at CN?

Hello! My husband and I are going to Couples Negril in July for our 9th year anniversary! We spent our honeymoon at Couples Tower Isle. I was wondering if there was anywhere to run on the grounds? I am a beginner runner, but would probably be looking to run about 5k or so. Also, in the gym do they have treadmills and is it air conditioned? Thanks a million!

Yes they have treadmills and AC. I would not run on the main road.

Gym is air conditioned and has tread mills and other elliptical exercise machines as well. You can run the beach to the far resort and back which would be about 3 miles. Don't know where else you could run, the road is reserved for crazy driving.

First of all congratulations on your anniversary and your decision to head to CN! There are treadmills in th gym and it does have AC. I found running along the beach was so much more fun though! I can run on a treadmill any day here in Nebraska. I loved running on the beach!
    Lucy

Default room to run

You can run along the beach, which in Bloody Bay is a mile or two of great sand. It goes off-property, but the locals won't bother you. Not sure if you could run 'on the grounds'. Yes, there is air conditioning in the work-out room and they had a treadmill, or two, when we visited this past Fall.

Enjoy!
    TonyS

You can run on the beach. It's fabulous, and if you time it right (low tide) the sand is packed well enough that it's not too taxing. You can get in up to 4 miles running from CN.

Enjoy!!

V
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Good Morning Wendymcc. We have been to CN 5-times and CSS once. At CN I get up around 7:30 leaving my wife snuggled in bed. I head out the main gate (security will ask where your going and room #) I run South past Beaches, and an old villa where you can actually follow a path to the beach. I take this path for about a 1/2 mile then duck back out to the street. I cross over and head back North past CN and the Riu's to the bend in the road. Then I again cross over and head back South till I get to an opening that heads to the Office of Nature. I take that sand path to the beach and head down to CN. Where I meet my wife with her morning coffee. I talk to everybody on the street and beach along my path and feel very safe and comfortable in my run.This takes me about 25-30 minutes. By the way, if you do run the street your likely to see Stephon running. He's the head chef over a few of the locations and I've heard they have him roaving locations until they land a new Chef.
    Also always remember the traffic flows on the opposite side (European style)than it in the States, just always run facing the traffic. There is plenty of space in the grass roadside to avoid traffic. Though I've never seen it heavy at all.
    I hope this helps in case you find the treadmills full when you feel like running.

No place to run at CN except on the beach. You have about 2 miles of beach you can run. There are treadmills (along with a bunch of other types of machines) at the gym and it is air conditioned.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I'm not a runner but LOVE walking fast & the beach is GREAT for that at CN.
    Julie

You might be a bit confused by the different references to miles that can be run on the beach. Bloody Bay is about 2 miles long. So if you ran all the way down and back it would be 4 miles. CN is at one end of the bay so it is a nice run. (I don't run it, but I do walk it.)
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I love running on the beach at CN. I go early mornings on days when I can't dive. If this is your first time running on sand, you might want to just run one lap of the whole bay and see how you feel. As a woman, I have never felt uncomfortable running alone in the mornings. Just let the security guard know your room number. There are also usually a few early morning walkers or a fellow runner.

Wave and wish the vendors setting up at Office of Nature and workers cleaning the beach a pleasant "Good Morning" as you pass by. Stop for a moment at the beach end (near the purple Riu) and look into the shallows for interesting sea life. I have seen juvenile barracuda, puffers and good sized rays feeding in the shallows. If you are early enough, you can watch the sunrise over the hills and the morass.

Sometimes I end up sloshing in the waves a bit because of high tide (December tides), but it isn't that big a deal. And when I get back to "reality" and am still able to knock a few grains of sand out of my running shoes before I run in the land of concrete and treadmills, it always makes me think of HOME. Sigh....

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all of your responses. They are very helpful!! What a friendly bunch!

Running the road is fine. The shoulder is plenty wide, remember to run on the *right* side of the road facing traffic, which drives on the left.

How is it running without shoes on the beach? Is the sand too soft by the waters edge without shoes or is it packed enough that it would be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicalove View Post
    How is it running without shoes on the beach? Is the sand too soft by the waters edge without shoes or is it packed enough that it would be fine?
    Definitely OK to run without shoes. It's more packed at low tide (obviously) but even when the tide is higher, you can run barefoot.

I have been running at home in Nike's version of the barefoot runners and am seriously and strongly considering buying a pair of Five Fingers prior to my trip to CSA (in 32 DAYS!!!) just for running the beach.

Have a fabulous trip (and run.)

V
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicalove View Post
    It depends on where and when. I find it usually is firm in most, if not all, places. However at certain times (high tide I suppose) there can be areas where the sand is quite soft, but I usually just plow through for 15 yards or so to get to a firm stretch.

If your feet are not accustomed to running on fine sand, you may want to alternate barefoot days with shod days. Depending on your running style, you may develop blisters quickly without shoes.

If I were going to run on the beach I would run at the waters edge, with or without shoes, the softer sand above the waters edge would really give you a heck of a work out plus if you were barefoot you may hit glass or other debris. As far as shoes or no shoes, if you have run barefoot before you could do it without shoes but if you haven't I would wear shoes, it's quite hard packed and you could end up pretty sore. As with any sport this would vary from person to person, some folks have better tolerance to new things. But why take a chance on being uncomfortable or injured for any part of your vacation unnecessarily? We took our older pair of running shoes so we didn't care if they got wet or full of sand but it wasn't an issue, you could easily take your current pair. We were at CSA, perhaps the conditions are a bit different at other resorts.

You can run but you can't hide...