Thread: Camera advice

Default Camera advice

Looking for a new camera, I have a canon that is a few years old and needs updating (the camera on my droid incredible is better) I like the ease of point and shoot but want ready good resolution and zoom and something that takes god night pics. Anyone have any suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune but something that takes great pics and is easily carried. Thanks!
    Erika & Sean

Canon S95.

Also have Droid Incredible that takes great pics for what it is. Use it everyday.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an inexpensive camera that's small, has long zoom range, and is great in low light. But of those that come closest to your criteria, the Panasonic Lumix LX5 and Canon S95 are two that I'd consider.
    Do a Google search for either/both and you'll see lots of reviews and comparisons. Both cameras support RAW image capture as well as JPG. RAW gives you the ability to maximize your image quality at the expense of time and effort in editing.

A DSLR with its larger image sensor is the best choice for low light performance, but cost, complexity and size are all greater than a point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by EinWI View Post
    Looking for a new camera, I have a canon that is a few years old and needs updating (the camera on my droid incredible is better) I like the ease of point and shoot but want ready good resolution and zoom and something that takes god night pics. Anyone have any suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune but something that takes great pics and is easily carried. Thanks!

Hard to find a bad camera these days, if u are going to be on the beach suggest a waterproof one..Sony, Olympus & Panasonic all make good ones

Just about any camera will take good night pictures. It just requires practice and familiarity with how the device operates.

I shoot with and always have shot with Canon. Depends on your budget and whether you want portability. DSLRs are great but are heavy and require other gear such as lenses, etc., but generally take better photos because their optics and sensors are bigger and better quality. Point & shoots offer portability, at the sacrifice of lesser quality photos, due to the smaller size of their sensors and optics.
    Mind you most current good quality point & shoots do an admirable job. Just don't get up in the "mega-pixel" wars. Anything with about 10-14mp will offer excellent prints up to 24x36" and beyond with careful post processing. More mega-pixels also require huge amounts of memory and enormous (expensive) memory cards.

Do feel free to email me off list if you have any other questions @. teskor-at-tbaytel-dot-net

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

We have 7 cameras - all Canon. For travelling and everyday pictures away from home we have a Canon G12 (had a G10 but flooded it while diving in February)and I have a new S95 which I love. Really small but it takes excellent pictures. Can shoot raw too if that's what you'd like. (Reason hubby bought it).

Both are great cameras. Pick the one in the price range that you like.

We'll be bringing both to CN in September as the G12 will have an underwater case for scuba diving and the S95 is a back-up camera we can easily take anywhere including dinner. We like to always have a camera - just in case and the S95 is small enough to fit in my purse or pocket.

Betty

along with a good camera, taking pictures on the beach, full sun, cant see what i am taking a picture of, the screen is washed out, any camera suggestions ?

Check Amazon. We bought a Canon SX210 IS last year and it takes great pictures. 14x zoom and fits in my pocket. That's what we picked but there a lots of cameras that fit your description. You will get lots of advice here most likely. Cameras are very popular in the Couples family.

As long as I am here. We are thinking of getting a Flip camera for video of our trip this year. I think they are pretty cool. Simple, super compact and take pretty good video from what I've seen. That or the similar one from Kodak. Any opinions?

I am a professional photographer so needless to say I am extremely picky about my cameras. After shopping around for a point and shoot for close to 2 years I recently bought the Canon 1400is. It is fast, nice zoom for a p&s and the quality is suprisingly good! Even for my standards! In fact I just had a sunset picture I snapped with it last week made into a large wall portrait. Plus it's small enough to stick in my pocket (about the size of a deck of cards) but not so small that my husband had trouble using it. If you have any specific questions just ask!

Default nikon

none of the smaller digital cameras ($100-$200) are super fast like the big SLR's ($1000'ish). Nikon and Canon are about as good as it gets. Newer models are always faster than last years models, i recommend sticking with 1 of those 2 brands FOR SURE.. goto ur local Best Buy or Walmart, where u can play with them and get a feel for what u want. We have an expensive SLR, but always take the nikon coolpix on vacation, much smaller... Also, when on any beach vacation, b careful of any nice camera with a big lens u may need to clean. Scratches are almost impossible to avoid when trying to take a pic and remove the humidity/fog from lens before taking pic. Sandy environment with moist air sucks with a nice camera. Pretty much ruined a expensive set of lens in aruba, while trying to baby the camera as much as possible. Small $100-$150 nikon or canon should do u well, ima Nikon fan myself.

WELL.... this really depends on how much a fortune is... for a small point and shoot with good resolution I like the Nikon COOLPIX S6000, its a 14.2 mega pixel camera which is really good for small cameras... its easy to use and is relatively inexpensive, about $199 at BE$TBUY. The Canon Easy share is a good one to, it doesn't have as far a zoom on it but they are pretty much equal. I've owned both and really like them. NOW if you want to look into something a little bit more professional then I recommend the Nikon D3000, I love this camera... I got it for my fiance when she graduated from college. It is a digital SLR so its got interchangeable lenses and the whole nine yards... the drawback is that it will run you about $550 for the just the body and one lens. If your just going for ease and want some good pictures I would go with the point and shoot. Lugging the big camera around will not be fun... and you'll be worried about it getting ruined by the water and the sand...

Quote Originally Posted by EinWI View Post
    Hello; I have a panasonic lumix TS-2 I am taking when we go to CSA I have found it to be very easy to carry and takes very good pics (compairable with my Nikon dslr) it's waterproof and also takes great movies.. You may also want to think about the kodak ZX3 altho it's more of a movie camera it can take still photos off the movies you make, it as well is waterproof.. Both of these do not have the big zoom you wanted and aren't great at night in dim lighting, but it's hard to get everything.. Good luck hope this helps some.. Dash
    Dash & Marie