Default Transfer Tipping

We are heading to CSS next Sunday (1st time Couples) and want to get some advice on tipping the transfer driver from the airport to CSS. Thank you.

This person is not a Couples employee, tipping the driver is appropriate...$10-20 is rule of thumb (per couple not per person).

There will be men at the airport to take your luggage from the Couples lounge to the shuttle, they are also not Couples employees. Tipping them $1 per bag is also customary. I keep my carry-on with me as I like to use the restroom in the lounge and freshen up after a long day flying so they just have our suitcases...$2 is pretty cheap for letting someone else start lugging my stuff around and to give them a little income, yeah the stuff is on wheels and I COULD do it but it's the start to my Jamaican relaxation.

Take lots of small bills with you...$1's and $5's so you are prepared as they won't offer you change. They prefer US currency.

It's at least a 1.5 hour trip. He has your lives in his hands. We give 10 dollars per person each way.

We give $20 per person if the driver talks to us and gives us insight on his country...$10 per person if he doesn't

We usually tip $10-20 (for both of us) depending on how informative and fun they are. We've had some talk the whole time, others not say a word except into their cell phones and stopping to pick up their friend!

Thanks for all the great replies. This board is great for getting quick answers to questions. just four more days until our first visit and we can't wait for CSS.

Hey Grady, we arrive this Sunday to CSS also. Our flight arrives at 12:44. If not on the same shuttle we'll see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by 2-4-Jamaica View Post
    Hey Grady, we arrive this Sunday to CSS also. Our flight arrives at 12:44. If not on the same shuttle we'll see you there!
    We arrive at 1:26, so won't be too far behind! Save a seat at the beach bar for us.

Kind of on the same subject, Our friends that go with us to CN every other year said they saw on the board somewhere the shuttle does not stop at the "beer grabs" anymore, anyone know if this is true or not?

We haven't been since October but we did stop. I haven't read that anywhere.

Put another way...

How much would you pay for a 70-90 mile taxi ride? How much would you tip for that ride? The same rules apply.

Jamaica has a unique economy. In addition to its people, it has a number of natural resources... weather, beaches, tropical fruits and veggies, coffee... but not much in the way of mineral or material resources. It has to import a substantial amount of manufactured goods.

In many ways, its more expensive for the Jamaican people to buy the basics than it is for us to buy the same basics at home. Things like paper goods, many construction materials, canned and bottled goods, petroleum products and the like are more expensive on the island because they must all be imported.

Of course, their most important import is us. If we don't go to the island, they're essentially bust. Its often said that Alexander Hamilton, the father of the US banking system, was born on Jamaica to an island woman and a British Naval officer. I encourage people to bring him back to the land of his origin... and bring his friends, George, Abraham and Andrew.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Hamilton was born on Nevis, not Jamaica but I fully agree with everything else in the above post.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgroup View Post
    Kind of on the same subject, Our friends that go with us to CN every other year said they saw on the board somewhere the shuttle does not stop at the "beer grabs" anymore, anyone know if this is true or not?
    I have not read this other than some say that the driver will ask and the consensus is to keep going. Our last trip, this is what the driver did and we drove straight through. Not a problem for us. Also, you can grab a couple on the way out. Let your driver know when you board if you want to stop.
    Vicky