Default So many questions!

3 weeks and 25 hours and 9 minutes and we'll be on the plane to MB then on to CSA. Not that I'm counting, or any thing.

I've had a million questions and most of them have been answered by this message board (thanks, everyone!), but I still have a few things I'm wondering about.

One - Is the shuttle from MBJ air conditioned? I've heard the airport is hot, but do we need to make sure we have cooler clothes to change into before we get on the bus?

Two - what are you allowed to take out of the country on the way home? I read someone said they made a hat but weren't allowed to take it home because it was considered a living plant? Is that true? What about seashells and that kind of thing? Anything else you can think of that might be restricted?

Three - what is in a Dirty Banana?

Four - does anyone have a time machine to allow me to skip over the next 3 weeks, 25 hours and now 7 minutes to get right to the fun part?

I do have a time machine, but it's never been tested on humans. I have successfully sent a raccoon back in time and hope to try sending him ahead in time this afternoon, but since he will be sent into the future, I won’t know if it worked for another 3 weeks.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

The airport is warm but I've never seen anyone faint. I wear a pair of warm-up pants with shorts under and a sweat shirt or long sleeve T-shirt with a sleeveless shirt under so I can easily be in warm weather clothes without a trip to a bathroom. We fly out of Nebraska early in the morning in winter and even leaving the coat in the car I'm warm enough...not so much an issue for you this time of year. We always have a layover some place warmer and I often take off the pants there but leave the shirt on as planes can be cool then take off the shirt while waiting to deplane in Jamaica. The shuttle bus is air conditioned. The lobby is open air and though it stays pretty comfortable you will be too hot if you haven't altered your clothing to some degree. You'll also walk outside to your room and would be most comfortable in cooler clothes.

I have taken shells home in my checked luggage and in 15 trips they have never been removed but I think technically they can be disallowed. Sand is considered soil and can be taken from you as well. Years ago before 9/11 I brought some back in my checked bag and it was not removed, I haven't wanted to bring any since and I'm not sure they would take it but just know they might remove it in searching your bag. I pack all that stuff in my checked bags as I don't want the hassle going through security, if they want to remove it when they search my checked stuff so be it. The hats can also be considered a live plant which are not allowed. Again, put it in your checked luggage to avoid the hassle...if they want it they'll take it.

I don't know all the ingredients of a dirty banana...I do know that at the beach bars there was a drink menu that listed ingredients for each drink, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. I'm sure someone will answer this for you though.

Sorry...no time machine but I'm keepin' my eye on Wally.

I don't remember if the bus had AC, but I wore jeans and a short-sleeved shirt and was comfortable during the ride so it probably did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I do have a time machine, but it's never been tested on humans. I have successfully sent a raccoon back in time and hope to try sending him ahead in time this afternoon, but since he will be sent into the future, I won’t know if it worked for another 3 weeks.
    Who knew a raccoon could drive a DeLorean.

More questions!

Four - How deep is the water at the beach? If it possible to float out to a point where the water would be over your head? My husband can't swim, so that is a bit of a concern. Also, would he be able to go along on the boat if I want to go snorkeling even if he wasn't able to go in the water?

Five - how much a problem are sand fleas? I would like to do the dinner on the beach but keep hearing how bad the sand fleas are after the sun goes down? Do people find the are a problem during the private dinners?

Down to 3 weeks, 19 hours and 30 minutes. Unless of course Wally's raccoon shows up early and the DeLorean becomes available.....

I am only five feet tall and got all the way out to the rope, I was on tippy toes but my head was all the way above water.

I believe he is allowed to go out on the snorkle boat and not snorkle. Can he float? Is he afraid of the water? He may find he would enjoy it. They do have float devices...not a vest but a float device for around the waist as I recall.

People are affected differently by the sand fleas and they seem to be more prominent at times. Take some bug spray with DEET if you are concerned. I was on the beach taking pictures of the sunset several evenings and one time I seemed to notice them particularly more than the others and it was particularly wet that evening. I could feel them on my legs sort of like you feel a teeny-tiny bug, just that little tickle. I got only a few bites and they didn't itch much. Others are driven crazy by the itching.

Water very shallow very far out with the prevalent onshore breeze it would be very difficult to accidentally float into the deep area beyond the ropes and floats. Could depend on how tall your husband is ! Here's a surprise we ran into. We were diverted to the AG line at Charlotte customs because we had coffee and missed our connecting flight. It only caused an hour and a half delay but it was quite annoying.

Dirty Banana.....
    3oz tia maria
    3oz cream rum liqour
    3oz dark rum
    6oz milk
    2 oz simply syrup
    1 and a half banana's
    fill your blender 3/4 with ice, add all your ingredients and blend away!

Default catamaran trip

I like to snorkel but on the catamaran trip sometimes I never leave the boat - I really love the ride itself - I told my husband there is almost no better feeling I have then when we are heading back to the resort and the sun is setting and I am soooooo relaxed at that moment. My husband does - last time I just got off the ladder - got wet, cooled off and climbed back on.

The water is fairly calm at the resort and barely covers your neck - I am 5'6" if he is taller should not be a problem at all - plus the resort has the floaties that you drag in with you right off the beach chair so you have flotation at all times.

Sand Fleas - we stay off the beach at night but I believe the dinner is on some sort of a platform. I bring skin so soft ad rub it on my legs before we got out at night.

ENJOY your trip....we still have 67 days to go

One - Is the shuttle from MBJ air conditioned? yes it is.

Two - what are you allowed to take out of the country on the way home? WE brought home a conch shell plus a bunch of little ones customs said it was fine.

Three - what is in a Dirty Banana? It is a drink

Four - does anyone have a time machine to allow me to skip over the next 3 weeks, 25 hours and now 7 minutes to get right to the fun part? Waiting is part of the fun. What we need is a machine to slow time down once we get there. 56 days

Four - How deep is the water at the beach? If it possible to float out to a point where the water would be over your head??Yes, you can float out over your head but there is alot of shallow water. Not sure if you can stay on the boat, but they will give you a life vest. 3 week is enough time to take a quick lesson.

Five - how much a problem are sand fleas? I just sprayed my ankels with bug spray and no problems better safe then sorry.

The sand fleas can get pretty vicious around dusk; especially after a nice rain. They DO bite, and they DO hurt... but then there are some folks they just don't seem to bother.

Lemme think... dirty banana... banana, milk, rum (I think) and whatever that stuff is they put in a Black Russian.

They have plenty of life jackets on the snorkel boat (international safety requirement)... tell hubby to enjoy his snorkel time with every one else... but yes, he can go along for the ride.

Get comfy by changing into shorts and tee before your connecting flight for paradise boards. But the bus ride IS a/c'ed.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

My wife and I always take shorts in our carry on and take turns changing at the airport bathrooms when we arrive in Jamaica for customs. The terminal there is greatly improved from a few years ago and I believe it is airconditioned now as is the shuttle to the resort. If there are no lines at customs you can change at the Couples Lounge while waiting for your shuttle. Have some singles available as the tip to the baggage handlers is $1 per bag.

As for the snorkeling have your husband go on the trip. A combination of the salt water, your natural boyancy, and the float belt they give you result in you having to work at getting below the surface so there should be no problem. In the beginning just have him go near the end of the ladder and look under the surface to gain his confidence. He can always just climb back onboard the boat but I think he will be surprised and love it.

The dirty banana is a blended drink that is one of my staple drink there. That and a BBC which is Baileys (creamed rum usually), banana, and milk. Both are like milk shakes but neither will get you drunk. Get an extra dirty dirty banana and they put a little extra Kalua in it. Remember that the bartenders aim to please so if a drink is too sweet ask them to use less simple sugar (sugar water sweetener) the next time.

The Caribbean floor is a gentle slope with little to no waves and a safety rope to mark where it begins to get deeper. When walking in the water look down at your feet to find the occasional live starfish on the bottom.

Make sure to bring a couple extra zip lock bags to hold any extra shell you may want to bring home and put them in your checked bag. I have never heard of anyone having a problem doing this.

I brought home a ton of shells including a small conch I found one morning. Technically it's not allowed but so is speeding and meth, which people do all the time.

Sand fleas can be an issue but we used bug wipes and had no issues. They light tiki torches too.

The water was about 5' at the South end and 8' at the north end. I floated down and fell off the raft and realized I couldn't touch. I'm 6'4.

Airport has A/C now as well as the bus. Whether they use it is another issue. No problems for us in June though. It is incredibly hot everywhere you go though.

They give you life rafts on snorkel and catamaran trips so no worries there. It's harder to sink than it is to float. Perhaps lessons would help prior to the trip??