Thread: Skype ???

Default Skype ???

OK, booking trip for our 25th anniversary, first vacation away from kids so this is gonna be a big deal for my wife being away from them ( reguardless of the age ) So, my question is, what is the most econimical way to commuicate with kids back home?
    I have an iphone with service with AT&T, I really don't wanna pay those high charges. If I put phone on airplane mode once we leave and don't turn it off airplane mode with there be any high charges? Can I text if I'm on resort wifi? Can I call using iphone skype app? Any suggestions will be appreciated. She doesn't know about this trip and if I don't find a way for her to talk to the kids, I may have to find someone else to go with me :-)
    Thanks

Well I don't know about Skype, but when we were there last year for our 25th Anniversary, we just texted. It cost 50 cents per outgoing text on AT&T but it was worth it for us. That trip was our first away from the kids (no matter what their ages were!) and I, too, was a little nervous at first. However, once we landed all my fears and apprehension flew right out the window! You'll never regret going to Couples. It was the best 25th Anniversary present we ever could have gotten each other!!

And if the Mrs. isn't pleased with the communication arrnagements, let me know. I'll be happy to fill her seat on the plane!!

you can send messages from your email to a cell phone but Skype is probably your best bet. I used Skype while at CN in January and it worked well. I was able to give my grandparents a tour of our room and a peek of the view from our balcony. They loved it!

Skype works great on the iPhone/iPod Touch. Used it several times last April t call home from CSA. .43 cents for 4 calls, Skype to landline. Skype to Skype is of course free.

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

I used skype to skype on my laptop sitting at the beach bar one day. Kids thought it was really cool to see that.

I was just at CTI, and left my phone in airplane mode the entire time. I made skype calls home (skype to skype) and had no issues.

Hi,
    We always use Skype and it works great. We take our laptop and are able to connect with family and will give them a view from our balcony. We have used at all four of the Couples resorts.

However, being your 25th, after checking in on the kids once and seeing all is well, you will just fade into the romance of the Couples environment and forget all about kids... Happy 25th

you can text at the rate set by your plan with att. so if you have unlimited texting you can text for free, calls are by rate. skype or email would be best that way you're not bothered when you don't want to me

OK, Silly question. I've only done Skype with the kids on vacation once (skype to skype). How exactly does the skype to land line phone work or vice versa? Also don't you have to have internet access? I know couples has an internet cafe, but the rooms also have wi-fi? How would you obtain the security key or password to use the wireless? Would be great as wireless in the room was something I wasn't aware of.

Thanks, J&A

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    you can text at the rate set by your plan with att. so if you have unlimited texting you can text for free, calls are by rate. skype or email would be best that way you're not bothered when you don't want to me
    Is Skype available on the resort computers? We aren't taking a laptop and can't get service on our phones there. Our 11 year is pretty nervous about us leaving. We'll keep in touch with e-mail, but I know she'd feel better if she could hear our voices at least once while we're gone.

The Skype app on my Iphone worked great from CN last year. I just connect to the CN wifi network. I put $15 in my skype account before I left home. As I recall, the calls only cost 4 or 5 cents per minute.

I don't think there's any reason to put the phone on airplane mode. Just make sure you have data roaming turned off. As far as I know, there isn't any charge for incoming calls if you don't answer them. (Someone please correct if that's wrong.) But by leaving it on you'd know if you missed a call from home.

Quote Originally Posted by cambed View Post
    Is Skype available on the resort computers? We aren't taking a laptop and can't get service on our phones there. Our 11 year is pretty nervous about us leaving. We'll keep in touch with e-mail, but I know she'd feel better if she could hear our voices at least once while we're gone.
    Skype is not available on the resort computers. You would need access to the CPU to plug in the headphones and the CPUs are locked in a cabinet.

There is WiFi in the rooms so you can skype from there.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by June670 View Post
    OK, Silly question. I've only done Skype with the kids on vacation once (skype to skype). How exactly does the skype to land line phone work or vice versa? Also don't you have to have internet access? I know couples has an internet cafe, but the rooms also have wi-fi? How would you obtain the security key or password to use the wireless? Would be great as wireless in the room was something I wasn't aware of.

Thanks, J&A
    You don't specify which resort you are visiting, wifi is available at all the resorts just more hit and miss in the rooms at some resorts than others. We stayed at CSA and had great access in our BFVS. Ask for a password when you check in.

I would put your phone in airplane mode and then re-enable wifi. I think you are charged for incoming calls (even if you don't answer) and any text messages you get. Plus if you forget to turn off data, the charges can be crazy high. Skype to skype or skype to phone is a great option. I am also looking at doing Google Voice over wifi on our trip, should allow me to receive calls.

Quote Originally Posted by cambed View Post
    i can't answer that. I only used the hotel computer to print our boarding passes, i took my laptop with me to dump pictures to and upload them so our friends/family could see what they were missing out on...i mean....no i meant that

You can download the textfree app for your phone. It works over wifi so you can connect at the resort and then text for free from that number. If you have the iphone 4 and someone else has one or the newest ipod touch, you can use facetime for free too.

You might as well put the phone in aiplane mode because it will make your battery last longer. It won't be searching for a network which is something that uses a lot of power.