Default Conch at/near CN

To any past CN visitors, I'm wondering if conch is readily served at any of the restaurants (soup, fritters, fried, ceviche, etc.) at CN. My wife and I spent out honeymoon in the Bahamas last year and I couldn't get enough of the stuff! Otherwise, are there any good local restaurants off the resort that would be recommended?

Thanks for the input - only 10 more days for us!

Don't know about the Conch situation. "Three Dives" is a short cab ride and a great place for Jerk food though! We like the "Ital" grub as it tends to be mostly raw and vegetarian and made with real love!!!
    Have too much fun at CN. I'm envious. We still have 3 months to wait but hey, soon come!

There is a little beach joint fairly close to SweptAway that has really good conch soup....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

It's not widely available at Couples but does show up here and there. For example, curried conch was the Jamaican Special at the Cassava Terrace for dinner on April 12, 2011.
    Last edited by Pamela; April 14th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We too went to Bahamas (Nassau and Abacos) and loved the conch. Unfortunately we didn't see any conch at CN.

The night CN does the huge buffet there's always been curry conch. We've also seen the guy on the beach towards the Rio with fresh conch and lobsters in a basket out in the water. Not sure if its a seasonal thing, we go to CN the 1st week of Dec.

Lots of places serve it in Negril, but I haven't seen it at CN.

Xtabi has great curried conch and conch fritters. It's a quick cab ride away.

Quote Originally Posted by Asheville NC View Post
    Don't know about the Conch situation. "Three Dives" is a short cab ride and a great place for Jerk food though! We like the "Ital" grub as it tends to be mostly raw and vegetarian and made with real love!!!
    Have too much fun at CN. I'm envious. We still have 3 months to wait but hey, soon come!
    HEY...ASHEVILLE NC...we are neighbors, we are in Marion, NC! Have fun we have 7 more months to wait!

Default Well Well...

I'll be frittered, HOWDY-DOO over there Marion NC! I was just working out at Lake James a few weeks ago. Beautiful area out there and I'll bet it's beginning to "busy up" now with our springtime weather.
    Good to see you here on our Jamaican sounding board!
    Be Well

~Hiker & Keke~

The conch at Cosmo's is really good. It's on Long Bay but it's not too far from CN. You'd have to walk along the road for about 5-10 minutes to get there. You can't walk along the beach because you can't get past Point Village. You could grab a cab - it would probably be about $5. The driver will know where to drop you because this is a very popular local spot - especially on Sundays. Seem like it's a local to tradition to spend Sunday afternoons on this beach and eat at Cosmo's. They have a little gift shop there too so you might want to bring a few extra $$. Just don't buy their Blue Mountain coffee.

If you decide to walk just watch for Beaches Negril. If you reach BN you've gone too far. Cosmo's is just before BN when coming from CN.

Hope you enjoy CN and Cosmo's.
    Karon

If you walk down the beach to almost the far end, heading north just before you reach the further RIU resort there is a small fresh air lobster restaurant that also serves up conch, let him know the day before and he will make it any style you wish. My wife have been here a few times over our last three trips and have had it curried, grilled and cold salad style, each time it was fabulous and super fresh.

I've always wondered why we don't see conch ceviche (which I would LOVE to try!)... or conche items on the menu except for the curried variety. I think there are some endangered conche species out there. So I wonder if the Negril menu is environmental, or cultural. Anyone know?

And so(other than the Bahamas) just were can you get some fresh conche ceviche?

Conch is called scungilli in Italian,we make it cerviche style at home and also on pasta in a very spicy tomato sauce.It is available in fresh seafood markets in the US as well as frozen and canned. It is very good grilled in Jamaica and easily found around the island. The island where it was very abundant at one point was Bonaire. Like I said in my earlier post hit the beach at CN turn right head down the beach and you will find it in a couple of locations, both Office of Nature's and the small open air restaurant past both Office of Nature's have it available.