Default Waterproof iPhones

Hey everyone,

I came across a new waterproof case for iPhone 4. It's called the Rainballet by The Joy Factory. It's very reasonably priced at $40 and I'm considering getting one. Does anyone have any experience with this company or product?

Thanks in advance.

Donny

Why do you need your phone in the water?

Sublimebrad - I am just making an educated guess but it's not about taking the phone IN the water.

Having your phone exposed to the sand, wind, rain, spilled drinks, or even being near the pool or ocean with it makes some extra protection desirable. I use my iphone to listen to audible books and music when at the beach and pool, and even when floating on a raft in the pool or ocean.

I use the "Overboard Waterproof Case" that I got from Amazon for under $40 and it works great. I would not submerge it on purpose, but for using it on or near the water to protect it from spashes or the odd accidental fall into the water it has been fine. It has been to three different resorts in Jamaica with me over the past two years with no problems at all. It will also work the same for a regular Ipod or other MP3 player, not just Iphones. The weakness here is you can't really talk on the phone using this device. If you goal is to use it like I do (listen to stuff and check and send text messages) it's fine. If you actually want to use it to have phone conversations then the RainBallet looks like a nice option.
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimebrad View Post
    Good question. Our phones really love their accommodations in the room safe turned off.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

I think it sounds like a great idea. The beach is a moist environment not to mention the sand so damage to the phone would not be unthinkable. Next time we go I want to put books on mine instead of weighing down the luggage with the real thing so I'll have mine out on the beach. I looked at the product online and it doesn't look cumbersome but I'm like you, be interesting to hear what people think of it. I'll do some google searching later and see if I can find any reviews online in case no one here has used it.

Look into an Otterbox. Proven and cost effective.
    Apart from the ability to take pictures or video, perhaps even withstand a downpour in one's pocket; can't think of a reason.

Much like the "why bring your laptop" responses; why respond if you're not going to answer the question or joke about jorts?
    Last edited by KrisJamie; April 20th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post

Apart from the ability to take pictures or video, perhaps even withstand a downpour in one's pocket; can't think of a reason.

All four versions of the Otterbox specifically state they do not protect the phone against water.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post

Not to mention the sand! I had my 3gs in a case, in my pocket while I was under an umbrella when it was sprinkling and a drop or two went into the charging port just right and the thing dies a very slow and painful death. It wasn't wet, my pants weren't wet, nothing. It was already dying so I opened it up to see if I could dry it and save it but it was no use. The water sensor pad things were not even the slightest bit wet but the drops went right in and killed it anyway. It is truly amazing how vulnerable these things are! It's a straight shot from every hole in the phone to the motherboard and everything else. I only had that phone for a few months but there was so much crap in there besides the water. There was a ton of fuzz, dirt, hair, sand, etc.

Anyway, I got the Otterbox Defender too for my next 3gs and it was great when we were at CSA. My phone looked brand new when we left and I was able to sell it for a nice amount and buy the iphone 4. The new ones for the 4 have better plastic for the screen too so that's nice. They are pretty cheap on Amazon and totally worth it.

I agree with Sublimebrad. Why? I can't see why you need a phone on vacation - unless the company you work for couldn't survive with out you.

I take my Ipod without a waterproof case because it doesn't go in the water. Oh ya, my Blackberry stays in my car in Canada.

Thanks all,

To answer the question, my entire music collection,along with some audio books I'm listening to are on my device and I thought it would be nice to have them accessible without worrying about damaging my iphone. Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Someone got their feelings hurt about wearing jorts obviously. Sorry. I take it your from central Florida?

What I can't figure out is why people answer only to point out that they don't need their phone on vacation. How is that helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmon View Post
    good question. Our phones really love their accommodations in the room safe turned off.
    *like!*

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    All four versions of the Otterbox specifically state they do not protect the phone against water.
    They do as long as you don't submerge them. The old descriptions used to say they were water resistant or something but I think people were idiots and tried to submerge them. Obviously they aren't going to work under water but some people are not so bright I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    I had to go verify, but they do state that now. I'll bet that melody's point plays into that.

Someone got their feelings hurt about wearing jorts obviously. Sorry. I take it your from central Florida?
    Are you serious? LOL

Learn emoticons and try to remember the spirit of this board. Thanks.

Apparently this rainballet is waterproof. The iPhone 4 has a pretty decent camera on it so one could conceivably use it for underwater pictures. I wouldn't chance it personally. My point is that there are lots of things that one might want their iPhone for on vacation other than make calls. I certainly didn't mean to start a heated debate. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this particular product.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny-Amy View Post
    Apparently this rainballet is waterproof. The iPhone 4 has a pretty decent camera on it so one could conceivably use it for underwater pictures. I wouldn't chance it personally. My point is that there are lots of things that one might want their iPhone for on vacation other than make calls. I certainly didn't mean to start a heated debate. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this particular product.
    People seem to see the word "phone" and automatically assume you will be making calls with it. Almost all phones do plenty of things besides make calls now. An iphone is just an ipod that can connect to a cellphone network but nobody gets upset about bringing an ipod to the beach.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_...php?Case=i1015

I am a huge fan of the Pelican case. These cases are practically indestructable and I have seen a full size truck drive over these things and nothing happens. It is not a swim case to be submerged in water, but if you are looking to protect your iphone while using it on the beach, this is the product to get.

i1015 Case

•GREAT FOR RUGGED SPORTS - NOT FOR SWIMMING OR SUBMERGING
    •Designed for iPhone™, iPhone™ 4 & iPod touch®
    •Fits several Smart Phones including Blackberry®: Bold/Curve/Storm/Pearl, T-Mobile® MyTouch 3G, T-Mobile® G1 Nokia®: 5800/5530/E63/E71/E71x/E75/N97 Mini/N79/N78, Motorola: Droid/Cliq
    •External jack allows full use of iPhone™/iPod Touch™ microphone and volume commands
    •Built-in cable manager holds earphones and cables
    •Active sport carabiner secures i1015 to backpack or belt loop
    •Easy open latch
    •Custom rubber liner doubles as o-ring seal
    •Stainless steel hardware
    •Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence
    •Water resistant, crushproof, and dust proof
    •Available with clear or solid color lid

The Pelican is much less expensive than the Rainballet...the Pelican is about $18 and the Rainballet is about $40.

I'm still trying to figure out one thing though. Reviews for the Pelican specifically state that to operate the phones functions you have to open the case. Reviews for the Rainballet haven't been very clear on this so I'm not sure. The Rainballet does state it has the clear screens and they appear to mold closely to the phone screen but I believe that in order to operate the touch screen heat from your fingers is also required so it's still not clear. One reviewer on the Pelican specifically stated that he had a very long play list on his phone but acknowledged if you wanted to choose your music or wanted to stop/start frequently this was perhaps not ideal as you have to open the case. I want to listen to music as well as load ebooks so doubt the Pelican will be the option as I won't be able to turn the pages. Still trying to figure out of you can turn the pages of a book and change your music selection with the Rainballet without opening it.