Default The weather forecast is stressing me out!

I know everyone says that the rain showers are short and rarely (though not never) do you lose an entire day to bad weather, but when I look at the forecast and see 60% chance of storms, it stresses me out. We have such a short time there, losing even an entire afternoon to rain would be a major disappointment.

I also know that worrying about it isn't going to do me any good, but I figure I can pour my anxiety out here and you all will convince me it's going to be okay.

8 days and 12 minutes to go.

We were there in October, hurricane season, and this years season was particularly bad. I think we had one day where it clouded up and rained late in the afternoon and into the evening. Most of the year the rains are a few minutes to an hour or so. It's still warm so you could choose to stay outside, if it isn't lightening you could even play in the water...you're getting wet anyway. Go to the beach bar and hang out, they are covered. Go back to your room and enjoy your verandah...we sat that afternoon and watched the rain fall and it was so relaxing. In 15 trips to Jamaica the forecast has always predicted rain everyday, in all those trips we've never had rain everday and never had rain all day. STOP looking at the forecast!!!

Chances are you won't have a whole afternoon of rain. If you do have a whole afternoon of rain it won't ruin your trip and you can't do anything about it anyway. You'll find something to do if it rains.

Ditto for the first week in May! Also the wind looks pretty strong (19 MPH) - is that common??

The best thing to do is to get up early, then if the 'liquid sunshine' shows up at least you've had a good few hours of the real sun.

We've found that the rain usually appears from lunchtime, so setting our alarm for 7am gets us up & if the rain decides to appear then an afternoon snooze with champers goes down a treat - yeah mon ;o)

Enjoy, I'd swap a week of rain at Couples with 2 weeks anywhere else ;o)

Let me join the worry club. I vowed last week I wouldn't look at weather reports. ANd I was a good girl, until today. Ugh - what a mistake I made. I was not happy with what I saw, but there is nothing I could do about it. Couples Negril, see you on Saturday, April 30th!

Don't let the weather report stress you out.

First there is nothing that you can do about it.

Second, it really is true that you might get a passing shower, but never loose a full day.

Third, usually by the time the showers show up, you are ready to get out to the sun for a little while and hang at a bar or have a little afternoon delight.

And finally, you will be at Couples, where a rainy day is sooooooooooooo much better then a sunny day at home. So take a chill, as I said in the first place there is nothing you can do about the weather, so why worry!

3 days for us and I am also a bit worried. We are dealing with massive rain and flooding here and I really need to escape...

Same here. We leave Thursday and every day has a 30-60% chance of rain. Anyone at CSA now? Has it been raining? I'm now regretting our decision to try the Atrium suite. I fear I'm going to go nuts without a TV.

We have made 10 trips to the Carribbean and only one trip have we really been rained out. Rained all day every day or 5 of our 7 days. Made the best of it - it was a bit of a bummer but watcha gonna do? No sense stressing out about things you can't control.

Amy

Eh, kinda like when I was worried about the weather when I got married. Eh, whatch gonna do? Enjoy it & try not to stress! As someone else said, better to be there than at home

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

cypresspeeps..we loved the atrium suite! got to watch tv at the fitness center. had it all to ourselves...of course this is when football was going on! lol...enjoy!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Quote Originally Posted by wileeandrr View Post
    cypresspeeps..we loved the atrium suite! got to watch tv at the fitness center. had it all to ourselves...of course this is when football was going on! lol...enjoy!
    I'm going to be relying on Netlix to lull me to sleep.

it rained every day we were at css....for about 20 minutes and it was usually early in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by IcedCoffee View Post
    cigarmanpa - that didn't make me feel too good!! my wedding is in the morning (10am) at CSS a week from tomorrow!
    the rains came about 4 hours before you're wedding time plus we were there in august, don't worry i'm sure you'll be fine. there was one day it drizzled on and off for more then 20 minutes and it wasn't that bad

Man...all this dang worrying...so what if it rains...You are at Couples...Look at this website. How many times is "love" and "romance" mentioned. AND IT IS CALLED COUPLES!!! When was the last time you spent an afternoon in the bedroom with your sinificant other? Bottle of wine, fresh fruit, doors open listening to the rain and waves? When was the last time you actually went walking in the rain?
    You all need to listen to Marley's :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4

The forecast is looking a little better, so I'm calmer now. The wind forecast was really bothering me - I don't want the beach activities to be shut down! But now it's calling for just regular old rain, which I can handle. It's been so horrible grey and rainy here, I think it's just hard to conceive of it being warm and sunny any where!

Well, we spent 14 days at CSS last November and I can quite confidently say that there was cloud cover for a full, oh, 13 of those 14 days. Not rain every day and by no means all day either, although Hurricane Tomas visited us for a day or two. We were disappointed as we flew from UK (10+ hours) and needed the UV. Having said that, we had an amazing holiday and despite the cloud cover we did manage to get a pretty decent all over tan. To be honest, if it had been sunny we would have been 'as black a Newgates knocker' (a very old saying in UK referring to the cast iron door knocker on one of London's most notorious prisons, Newgate.). There, a quick history lesson to boot!

Don't fret about the weather. You will have an amazing time anyway! We plan to go back as soon as possible to CSS but we are definitely hoping for a LOT more sun!

Does anyone know if the resort provides umbrellas so we can get around the resort if it IS raining -- say going to dinner in the evening or something and you don't want to get wet? Not sure if I should bother packing one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lvmcgill View Post
    Does anyone know if the resort provides umbrellas so we can get around the resort if it IS raining -- say going to dinner in the evening or something and you don't want to get wet? Not sure if I should bother packing one or not.
    You don't mention which resort you are visiting...CSA had them in the rooms so I'm assuming all the resorts do. They were nice big ones that two people easily fit under.

Hurricane season is from June thru November, but is there a specific time that has a higher percentage of risk for bad weather ?

My understanding was June / July have a lower chance of "bad weather" when compared to, for example, August/Sept. Is that not true ? Historically I was under the impression the middle of the season had a higher percentage chance is all....

We'll be at CSA from July 23-28..... just wondering!

It could be worse. The forecast in Minnesota is stressing me out - more snow tonight.
    Enjoy paradise!!

Quote Originally Posted by wegonjamaica View Post
    Man...all this dang worrying...so what if it rains...You are at Couples...Look at this website. How many times is "love" and "romance" mentioned. AND IT IS CALLED COUPLES!!! When was the last time you spent an afternoon in the bedroom with your sinificant other? Bottle of wine, fresh fruit, doors open listening to the rain and waves? When was the last time you actually went walking in the rain?
    You all need to listen to Marley's :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4
    I second that..........And keep in mind, you're going to be in a place filled with other wonderful people....you'll be meeting other couples who will become instant friends....We've met numerous couples since we've been coming and they've become very near and dear to us...Relax...It's all IRIE!!! You can't control the weather, but you can control how you react to it.....Make Lemonade if it rains!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnArbor_707 View Post
    Hurricane season is from June thru November, but is there a specific time that has a higher percentage of risk for bad weather ?

My understanding was June / July have a lower chance of "bad weather" when compared to, for example, August/Sept. Is that not true ? Historically I was under the impression the middle of the season had a higher percentage chance is all....

We'll be at CSA from July 23-28..... just wondering!
    ????

We were just at CSA for 10 days. My husband was freaking out because the forecast was 30% chance of rain and isolated showers almost every single day. It rained for about 5 minutes our first day there, had an afternoon shower our last couple of days, and on our last day it rained pretty hard for a couple of hours.

My advice is to get up early if you want sun. It was usually bright and sunny til about 11, then the clouds would start rolling in. If it rained, it usually cleared up again by late afternoon. It's a bummer when it rains, but you can always seek shelter at a bar, go to the gym, relax in your room for an afternoon siesta, etc - you're still on vacation CSA had large umbrellas in every room.