Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How early does everyone start packing?

So we are 44 days away from our amazing Jamaican vacation (and wedding) at Couples Negril and I finally gave in to the urge to start packing today, haha!
    I am getting out the suitcases and putting them in the spare bedroom so I can start setting things in there, but an I crazy for doing thing so far in advance?
    I am so excited, just wondering if I am the only one who has started packing this early?!?!?

We leave Friday. My husband laid out everything he's taking in the guestroom on Sunday. I did that today (Tuesday). We'll put everything in our luggage Thursday night before going out to dinner, and then we'll leave by 3 am Friday morning for our 6 am flight out of JFK.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I can certainly understand your excitement! Typically, I will do the same thing...put the suitcases in the guest bedroom and start adding to them as I think of something. Not a bad idea... for me, it was good idea to pack my clothes in advance because a pair of capris I planned on taking actually needed altered. Packing in advance, was at least 3 weeks for us, gave me the opportunity to have the alterations done in time. You're excited, understandably so, so carry on! You will love CN!!! BEST WISHES TO YOU BOTH!

CN - 2010
    CSA - 2011

Hi Brittany, I am one of the most eager, plan everything down to the last detail people, you'd ever want to meet, BUT, for some reason, I don't pack very early.Maybe because I try to avoid having wrinkles unnecessarily, I am not a neat folder/packer though. But I usually pack two or three days before my trip...now that is not to say I don't have a TOTAL mental note and often a written list of what I plan to take and what I need to buy beforehand, cause it's fun to me to jot down little notes at work with what I plan to take, but I don't actually pack it up until shortly before the trip. There is nothing wrong with packing very early, but for me just writing down what I plan to take is good enough for me and of course I modify my little packing list as needed. Have a GREAT time and a beautiful wedding!

I would LOVE to start packing now for our trip in November...but Maybe it is a little earlY? Never too early to plan for it though. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and enjoy CN. It will be the second most wonderful experience in your life(your wedding should be first, especially being able to be married AT CN)

Brittany you are not crazy, I leave for CSS in 88 days (wedding also) and I have started putting stuff in the spare room I plan to take down with me. Not really packing yet but organizing what I have and making lists of what I need to buy!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! We can't wait to have a drink on the beach....only 40 days left!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    We leave Friday. My husband laid out everything he's taking in the guestroom on Sunday. I did that today (Tuesday). We'll put everything in our luggage Thursday night before going out to dinner, and then we'll leave by 3 am Friday morning for our 6 am flight out of JFK.
    Pamela et all:
    I know that drill, of the middle of the night AM trek to the Airport Suitcases in tow. That is the very reason to get the packing out of the way early, put some good hours in the pre vacation sleep-bank, so we're not crazy packin the nights before. Sadly, I am compelled to bring my CSA "toy" bag. With my Dive stuff, fins, mask, snorkle, squash racket, suntan stuff, beach bag, etc,etc. These need to all in place a week before to make me feel in control. Oh yes, $35 extra suit case charges, too! Thank said,
    I always say, less is better, but in reality: some nice clothes, workout stuff and a few little gifts for the great staff friends are needed. Getting it out of the way early is the way to go.

We are going the first weekend in October. I made a list of stuff that I am bringing so that I can slowly acquire what we need thanks to this MB post:
    http://www.couplesjamaica.biz/mb/showthread.php?t=354

When Im at the store and see something I know I'll need I go ahead a get it and I have a plastic bag Im accumulating items in until it's time to pack in September! It's never too early to start planning ahead!

Our trip is in about 2 weeks but I probably won't start actually packing until a few days before.

I am starting to take inventory of what I need (ok, want) to buy before the trip. Luckily we live in Florida so we already have a lot of warm weather clothing.

You aren't crazy if you pack early. We all do it!! Congrats on your upcoming trip.

Do me a favor though, when you have everything packed and ready to go. Walk into your spare bedroom and take out 30% of the stuff you have packed. You will think "Oh God no I can't do that, I need this stuff" Trust me YOU DONT and the 30% of stuff you won't wear can be used for Rum and Coffee when you are coming back

The amount of stuff we pack for our first trip is the only thing we look back on and think "that was crazy"

We pack the night before we leave! It generally takes us about an hour or so pack

Clean clothes and repack, always waiting.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by cathy_joe View Post
    we pack the night before we leave! It generally takes us about an hour or so pack
    like!!!

I never really UNpack! I have a "Jamaica bin" that everything goes into right after it's washed. My jewelry rolls, sandals, toiletries, swimsuits, coverups and underwear (the special ones I take on vacation) usually stay right there and the dresses and tops are hung in my "Jamaica wardrobe" (leftover from moving). DH also has a bin with the binoculars, his swimsuits and closed-toed sandals in it. These things we do not use stateside. So when the next trip comes, it is pretty easy and fast to throw it into a suitcase!

I find that procrastinating on diets and packing and whatever else needs to be done actually makes the time go faster! SO that's what I do. lol

I pack in my head for weeks before each trip. Unfortunately, the "real" packing typically takes place at 3am the night before we leave. LOL.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by DogMon View Post
    Pamela et all:
    I know that drill, of the middle of the night AM trek to the Airport Suitcases in tow. That is the very reason to get the packing out of the way early . . . .Getting it out of the way early is the way to go.
    This is our 19th trip to Jamaica. I could pack in almost no time at all. If my husband came home from work and said, "Surprise! I've booked another trip to Couples, and we have to leave for the airport in an hour," as long as he'd made arrangements with our dog sitter ahead of time, I would have absolutely no problem packing and being ready to go.

Packing is more stressful for people who don't travel often, but we travel to Jamaica usually twice a year (three times last year) and travel extensively for business purposes; I know what I need to take and can be ready with my carry-on-only luggage in no time.
    Last edited by Pamela; April 7th, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

My co-workers and family laughed at me because I packed weeks ago for may 4th trip to css. After reading a lot of wonderful messages I have deleted a lot of extras but did keep the larger suitcase for the trip back. I am still very nervous about all my wedding stuff being crushed even though it is in my carry on. Had my silk flowers done to take them with mostly to have later on for the reception and I have allergies so its easier for me this way.

You are not crazy Brittany! We leave in 38 days for CN! I have my suitcase laid out too! I have pulled out some summer clothes from storage (since its still freezing here) that I thought I might take. I have also started buying supplies like suntan lotion. I just keep throwing everything in there and then I will decide what I'm bring later and organize it all. I'm the control freak! My DH on the other hand is laid back and not worried about anything. This is our first time and we are so excited. Sounds like we might see you there!

I've been packing in my head since June of 2010.. only 23 more days until we are at CSA.

I started on 2/18, 1 month before we left. And I will start packing 2/9/12 for the next one!

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

61 to go us and I just started to see what we fit in my carry on.

Crazy...probably. (As Jimmy Buffett says, "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.) We're 59 days out and I have started laying out my clothes and bathing suits. Actual putting them into the suitcase happens a week or so out.

The excitement, anticipation, and complete obsession over Couples trips is part of the fun!!! Congratulations on your wedding! Here's to many years of wedded bliss and return trips to Couples!!!

We start packing the night before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast