Default Things to do off the resort

I know the resort has trips to Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville but are there any other things to do off of the resort? What about shopping? Also, I've heard about Luminous Lagoons and Dunn's River Falls. Are these accessible from CN?

Yes and no. You can book these through your tour desk, but they are a FULL day if you're staying in Negril. OchoRios is about 3-1/2 hours from Negril... do your tour and head back... There are other waterfalls on the southwest side of the island that are more accessible ... such as YSFalls and Mayfield, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours from your resort. There is also the Appleton Estate, which has some interesting historical perspectives, Treasure Beach, Black River Delta, walking the beach... lots to do.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

CN organizes a walking tour to the craft market-flea market about a 10 minute walk from the entrance several times a week. There is the catamaran trip included where you visit the cliffs/caves for a swim.
    As well there is a visit to a local shopping centre and downtown, its about a 2 hour visit. The shopping was just as good at the airport when you depart and the dutyfree liquor at the airport is really convenient.
    Another nice walk is up to the Office of Nature on the beach where there are more vendors.
    In the lobby there are tours you can book to YS, Black River , Appletons Estate and others. Dunn's river is closer to Ochos so probably not done too often from CN.

We have done Dunn's River Falls and I wouldn't do it from Negril. It's fun but not so much as to be worth the whole day trip. As Chris said the drive alone is going to be about 3 1/2 hours one way. It's just not that spectacular. Yes, you CAN do it, the resort will happily arrange transportation for you anywhere you want to go...but I wouldn't spend a whole day getting to and from Dunn's River Falls.

My cousin and her husband did Luminous Lagoon one year when we were staying in Montego Bay. Sort of the same story, if you are staying close by it's cool but not worth the drive and again it's going to be about 2 1/2 hours one way and it's only done at night as you see the phosphoresence at night by the light of the moon. Another consideration is that you want to go when the moon is small or when it is cloudy...I haven't read enough on the phenomenon but I do know that the brighter the moon the less bright the glow in the water so you could be disappointed taking such a long drive if it's a bright night.

Obviously we are all different and enjoy different things but those two attractions seem best suited for folks staying in Ocho Rios. It's a good excuse to plan another trip back to Jamaica.

Remember, don't pack your trip so full of excursions and "to do's" that you are always on a schedule...you can live like that at home. Plan plenty of time to sit and enjoy the beach. Sand gravity is a more beautiful phenomenon than the phosphoresence of the luminous lagoon.