Default CSA - Beach Horseback Riding

Has anyone done a beach horseback ride along the beach at CSA ?

Talking with my travel agent she mentioned the horseback ride at CTI is not the romantic all-alone type, it's a long line of horses going 2-3mph and not along the beach. My girlfriend and I have done a private ride in Hawaii along the Pacific so we're not interested in the tail to nose ride. It's not that we're big time riders at all, just after Hawaii our expectations are kind of high, unfortunately.

My TA mentioned that just outside CSA there are usually vendors that have horses and they'll let you ride on them a little along the beach. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had seen this type of thing or best case actually done it.... ?

Default Nose to Nose

The horseback riding is exactly as you heard it was at TI. It is NOT as they would have you believe in the brochure. You take a nice leisurely ride together with everybody nose to tail for about an hour. Most people liked that. Your ride in the ocean takes place after you return to the property and consists of six or seven people on horses at a time, directed(herded) by the staff, around a small, semi-enclosed bay as fast as they can direct(herd) you. You are better off trying something else in my opinion. There is lots to do if you feel you have to do something. Couples offers many tours.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

We saw them at CSA last week and the vendor walks the horse while you ride and I heard them say to someone else it was 50 dollars for an hour.

I have seen people riding horses along the beach at CSA, but I don't think it's the kind of trip you're envisioning. The vendor walks alongside each horse and it's just a walk down the water's edge. Right now the beach at CSA is pretty narrow, so they were riding the horse among sunbathers and people coming in/out of the water. It was kind of like a pony ride and probably more enjoyable for children.

I would advise that you research carefully on this. I have heard of tours where bandits met up with the group. On Trip Advisor there is a company called Hooves that has received some nice reviews. Although I haven't done it; it sure looks like fun. Especially when the horses are loving the water and you get cooled off too!

We just got back(4/30) from CSA and Susie did it one night. We bartered with the "horse owner/attendant" and he lowered the price as she was going to be the last ride of the day. She said it was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by louieandsusie View Post
    We just got back(4/30) from CSA and Susie did it one night. We bartered with the "horse owner/attendant" and he lowered the price as she was going to be the last ride of the day. She said it was well worth it.
    Did you get any pictures ?

Quote Originally Posted by paints13 View Post
    I would advise that you research carefully on this. I have heard of tours where bandits met up with the group. On Trip Advisor there is a company called Hooves that has received some nice reviews. Although I haven't done it; it sure looks like fun. Especially when the horses are loving the water and you get cooled off too!

There was a story of an incident (or maybe a couple) where this happened but it was in Ocho Rios, the beach in Negril is more public and populated and I can't imagine it happening there...I realize anything is possible but it's certainly not likely and not where the incidents occurred.

I will say what we observed while at CSA was as described above where the vendor walked along beside as the people rode. I suppose if you've never been on a horse before it might be something to check off the list but it did have that look of the kiddie pony ride at a county fair.

We have horses and I was a little less than impressed with the appearance of a couple of theirs as well, pretty skinny in my opinion. I'm not sure when they get a break to eat or drink, you see them walking all day, if no one is riding they are being walked so the vendors can attract riders. I had to tune it out after a couple days as it was upsetting but maybe that's just me. I realize they need to make a living but I have a tender spot for animals.

We did one at CSA a f ew years back. I do not recall the name of the vendor but we did book it through the CSA excursion desk so I'm sure they still have it. Anyway, we travelled 45 min or so back towards MoBay to the stables. There was only a handful of us (4-5, IIRC) so it had a pretty intimate feel, but yeah, you basically go in a train up the mountain, then back down. The stables are on a small ranch-like place next to an alligator reserve, so we rode along the beach and saw some 'gators through fencing. As for horses in the ocean, well, horeses do NOT float like a barrel, which is what I envisioned, but rather more like dogs (horsey-paddling, if you will so it was rather more troublesome than I expected.

Still, it was a fun time, so long as you understand these are working horses doing a job, not fat pets on some sort of vacation. The horses are lean, they know the route by heart and may not be terribly enthusiastic. My mom had horses when I was a kid so I'm familiar with their tricks and attitudes. If this is your first time riding a horse, it may differ from expectations.

Still, it is a nice trip up the mountain and a chance to see a bit of Jamaica away from the resort. The stables are near some sort of small plantation buildings you can rent out, we have considered going there for a week with family as it is a very pretty spot. I'm glad we did it, but probably not a thing we would do very often.

We did take some pic's and I will some how try to post a link or send them out.

Quote Originally Posted by louieandsusie View Post
    We did take some pic's and I will some how try to post a link or send them out.
    Cant wait!

I went riding with a vendor on the beach at CSA in March. I saw two different vendors each day and near the end of our trip, I decided to give it a try. I also verified with some staff members beforehand that he was reputable and everyone said that he's been around for a long time and that a lot of guests ride with him. I can't remember the man's name but it was NOT the man that was wearing the English riding helmet. This local will let you "customize" your ride and what I preferred was a ride early in the morning, before too many people were on the beach as I wanted it to be relaxing and not have to worry about kicking sand on people. He totally accommodated me!!! I asked him to meet me at 6:15am one morning at my favorite sea-grape tree and to bring two horses so that he and I could ride together. We rode down the beach to where there was nothing but grass and we could watch the sun coming up which is something that you don't typically see from the resort. We rode for 1-1/2 hrs. It was great!!! By the time we got back, the beach was filling up but it was such a nice ride and we chatted about life in Negril, customs, etc. while riding. I would definitely do this again on our next trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here are a couple pic's I took of Susie
    Attached Images Attached Images