Default Sans Souci, sunset beach

I noticed on the new map/picture of Sans Souci that there is what looks like a river or stream outletting thru the beach area of sunset beach, it looks like sunset beach is on one side of the stream, my question who does the beach belong to on the other side of the stream and is it accessible by walking thru the stream?

Quote Originally Posted by columbo View Post
    I noticed on the new map/picture of Sans Souci that there is what looks like a river or stream outletting thru the beach area of sunset beach, it looks like sunset beach is on one side of the stream, my question who does the beach belong to on the other side of the stream and is it accessible by walking thru the stream?
    The White River flows into the ocean beside SSB. The water is shallow (and quite cool) there and you certainly can walk to the other side. Don't know who owns the other side. We returned two days ago from CSS and the local schools were out for Easter holiday in Jamaica. There were lots of local kids playing along this beach on the other side of the river. You'll also see a few local fishermen navigating boats in and out of the river into the ocean.

The river empties into the sea at Sunset Beach. The beach belongs to Couples there, and yes you can get to the ocean by crossing the river. The beach changes some depending on the weather and how it affects the river. The river section is cold, but then you hit a sand bar, and go into the warm ocean. It was fine to us, a little rocky, but nice.
    Linda

There is another resort on the other side of the river. Its not open in the traditional sense but hosts "cruisers" a couple of days a week. You can walk over there as the water is not very deep - we saw a couple of young ladies walk over to SSB but there were asked to leave by security. You do see locals on boats they use the river to access the ocean for fishing - mostly in the morning and early evening.

Amy

You can access the beach on the other side of the river by walking, but I don't know who that area belongs to. It doesn't belong to Couples though...

Not sure who the beach belongs to, but yes there is a river separating the two. The river is used by fishing boats and rafts. It is fairly shallow and you can wade across no problem. At first we were a bit shy about the people using the river and others on the other side, that changed as we got more comfortable on the beach. Also when young kids were playing on the other beach security asked them to leave. Relax have a good time it's all good.

The beach on the other side of the stream is public. The steam is the white river. Local fisherman come out the river to fish in the ocean. Do local's come over to Sunset beach, I have not seen any, but they do walk their boats in front of it.
    Irie Mon

the other side is a small public beach with some kids playing at the odd time especially on the weekends. Do not worry you are far enough away. A little further is Shaw Park, an older hotel which seemed basically vacant a month ago

Thats the white river that discharges at SSB. It makes the water cooler for a while. The beach on the other side is Shaw Park, which you can probably walk to, with bathing suit of course. I've not seen it done personally, but other people have posted that its possible.

The " other side of the beach" is actually still part of SSB and goes out into the sea. The water is a bit cool where it mixes the river and the sea, but it is crossable into the warm Caribbean.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Yes the beach is accessible but, to be frank, it is not that people just wander onto SSB on an ad hoc basis from the other beach. If you might want to wander off to the other beach, that is easy but you might want to put your clothes on. There is a security guard on the SSB so you have no worries about the general public dropping in for a gawk. SSB is probably the nicest of the Couples AN sections. Large enouhg to get lost in for those newbies who want to try out AN without being close to others (that's all it takes and BAM, you are hooked!) and there is everything that you would need for a whole day at the beach, food, drinks, showers, a pool, floaties, rest rooms, excellent staff and your loved one, naked! TI has the island but it is a bit of a pfaff to get to and is closed on days when the water is rough (which it was on the only day I visited!).

No worries man!!

That's the White River. There's another (probably not as good as San Souci) resort on the other side of the river, but it's a bit far...I don't think you can make out details from Sunset Beach (or vice versa) if you get my meaning.

The river has always been there....Couples does not own property on the other side. The White River is very cold and runs with a pretty fast current. I would not recommend trying to walk across... in fact, the staff may stop you from doing that. It could be dangerous and really ruin your vacation. People don't realize the power that water has.

The "beach" on the other side of the stream belongs to a resort that is located a couple hundred yards west of SSB. During the time we were at SSB in March it was very rare that we saw anyone from that resort venture close to our little cove. SSB is very private from the outside world.

It is accessible, but I have never seen anyone come from that side onto SSB. Also, if you go, be prepared, the water in that stream comes from the mountain tops and in mid-summer is still freezing cold.

Billy
    Peace, Love, and Respect
    Billy
    CN 2002, COR 2007, CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CTI June 4-15, 2012

Thanks for all the responses, I now have a better understanding of the area, going to CN in August but think we will be going to San Souci next spring, especially with all the great answers here!