Thread: Scuba Experts

Default Scuba Experts

First, I want to find out about the famous scuba test that everyone keeps talking about. I have heard 8 laps in the pool? Is one lap there and back or is it there one lab and back another. Also, is there a certain way that you are asked to swim? Can You swim with fins on? IS it timed? How big is the pool? I want to make sure that I can pass the test. Thanks so much for your help.

A lap is up and back, two lengths. No fins, any stroke you chose and no time limit. I have seen a few people fail, but if this is important to you go practice now. You'll have a wonderful experience. Have a great time.

Depends on which resort you are visiting. The dive pool at CN is not standard Olympic size (much smaller).

At CSA the swim test was 8 laps in the pool by the buffet. It was not timed, and you can take your time doing it. The only requirement is that you don't stop and don't stand on the bottom of the pool. If you do, you don't pass.
    I did the swim test with a group of 8 last year, and 4 or 5 of us passed. If I can give any advice, it would be to pace yourself. Given it's not timed, there's no need to try and set a world record ;-), just take it nice and slow and if you know how to swim, there shouldn't be a problem. The people that failed seemed to start fast and just plain ran out of steam. I also practiced a couple of times, just to get a sense of the distance I'd have to swim.
    Hope that helps.
    th

Nice question goodygirl even i am curious... ppl have responded by saying 8 laps and is a small pool. can anyone tell me the exact or approximate distance we are talking about. I can swim but just quit smoking so I might have to work on this. PLz do let me know

Well, I have only had to go in the pool once at CN and it was just to go down and show them I know how to work the equipment. Have not seen a swim test but the dive pool at CN is very small (average backyard size). But, my question is if you are afraid you can't do the pool swim, why are you even considering SCUBA? Yes, you have an air tank and it is easier to float in seawater, but SCUBA is a dangerous sport and if you are not completely comfortable in the water and a decent swimmer, you are putting yourself and the other divers in danger. I have been on two trips (not at CN) where our swimming ability was put to a great test. It can turn bad very quickly and if you are not a strong swimmer you can be hurt. We actually had to help rescue several people who were being swept out and couldn't swim hard enough to make it back to their boat. SCARY! And I have had choppy enough water at CN to need to swim hard for quite a while to make it back to the boat.

Hi all,
    First, let me clarify something I posted, because I said 8 laps, and it's 8 lengths...sorry.
    My husband and I figure it's about 200 metres.
    Hope that helps!
    th