Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone experienced this "New TSA Rule"?

We were SO prepared for our last trip to CN that we actually drove 6 hrs to Orlando to get a cheaper flight, AND not have to wait for/potentially miss a connection. Well on the way flying home with our 1 bag checked, each of us with a carryon, AND our sunshine liquors purchase from MoBay airport, TSA informed everyone that liquor must go in a checked bag, whether catching a connecting flight, OR NOT!!! since when has this changed?? we go to Ja every spring, and were barely able to get our bottles to fit since we KNEW that THIS TIME we didn't have to stuff them..Is this the same everywhere or just isolated to Orlando? We usually fly to Memphis or Atl and catch a connection home, where we expect it
    The sun & the sand & a drink in my hand, with no bottom

Default Haven't heard this

Is it a new TSA rule or an airline rule? It's never been this way in the past.

We had this happen last week and I was surprised and annoyed. What a stupid process! We do carry on only and had cleared immigration and customs in under a half hour and were headed to parking lot to get our car and were stopped for this new security check. When I questioned it was told it was a new process and applied to everyone, even those ending our flight in Orlando.

I gave them the vanilla I had purchased in duty free as I was not willing to check my bag and wait - if we wanted to wait 30-45 minutes we would have checked in the first place.

Stupid new process and this was not the case when we flew internationally in December in and out of MCO. I hope it goes away fast.

If you land in America and have to change planes you have to get your check bag and go through security agian with you checked bags, so all liquids over 3.5 oz have to be put in a checked bag. Been this way for awhile now.

We just came back from CN on April 24th and didn't have a problem bringing our Rum Cream from Sunshine on our American Airlines flight to Chicago. I don't know why they would make you pack it in your checked luggage. If we were told to do that, my wife would have had to leave some of the clothes she never wore in Jamaica.

Lisapat,

We have never had any problem in the past. We always fly Air Jamaica to Philadelphia non stop.

I went in to the TSA web site and found the following tonight.

On nonstop flights bound for the US, passengers carrying duty-free liquids purchased at an international airport will not have any problems.

If you are flying to the US and have a connecting flight in the US, oversized duty-free liquids will NOT be permitted through US security checkpoints, even if they are in a tamper-evident bag. The United States still abides solely by the 3-1-1 policy in regards to liquids and does not accept any liquids at the checkpoint unless they are three ounces or less and can fit in one quart-sized zip top bag. If you have a connecting flight in the United States, liquid duty-free purchases must be placed in your checked baggage. Because you will be required to reclaim your checked bags prior to passing through customs inspection, you will have the opportunity to place duty-free liquids in your bags before rechecking them for your connection. If you fail to check your oversized duty-free liquids, they will not be permitted through the US checkpoint.

We are heading for CN in 59 days and are almost out of RUM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceandBrendaPA View Post
    Lisapat,

On nonstop flights bound for the US, passengers carrying duty-free liquids purchased at an international airport will not have any problems.
    This is incorrect at Orlando International and our experience was on April 17th sop very recent.

We did not have a connecting flight and did not check luggage.

There was a new security check point after immigration and customs in Orlando and they absolutely would NOT let my pint of vanilla into the country - and I had it in the duty free packaging with receipt.

The TSA rep was clear that I could not bring it in unless I checked my bag and went to baggage claim to claim it.

Non stop flight was irrelevant. Duty free purchase was irrelevant. They took it and that was that. I was NOT about to check a bag when my car was 5 minutes away.

We generally fly in/out of ATL. They have an additional security checkpoint after you have cleared customs and immigration. All carry-on bags go through the scanner and checked bags are put on a conveyor belt for scanning. You then have to retrieve them from baggage claim. Even if your final destination is Atlanta, you have to put anything that will not fit in your 3-1-1 quart size bag in a checked bag. I believe Memphis is also this way.

caviargal, I'm a bit confused. If you had cleared customs and immagration and were on the way to get your car, where did they stop you and why? Where would you have checked your bag or were you going to a connecting flight. This doesn't make sense! If you were leaving the airport and the secure area, why would TSA care that you had vanilla or anything else?

Bruce...and Red.....I know the rules...been flying to Ja for Couples trips for 5 yrs now.....but THIS time we didn't have to take a connection(we flew one plane, then done)...and yet TSA told everyone that they would STILL have to "check" all liquids before going through bag check, whether their flights ended THERE, or NOT....really through us for a loop...maybe this is just an Orlando thing?

We fly internationally from Orlando 4-5 times a year and this was a brand new process, set up on a smaller scale but with the same process and equipment as the one for outbound passengers from the airport.

We were confused as well and questioned this new area and delay - and I also questioned why. The answer was not helpful at all and I was told I could either check my bag and get it at baggage claim or lose the vanilla. No explanation was given.

This was the process about 3 years ago when we flew out of Orlando. We were told it was due to "construction" in the airport and that it would be resolved shortly. Indeed the last two trips from Orlando (May and December last year) we were allowed to bring our liquids directly out of security with us.

Disappointing to hear that we now have to check them again. Orlando is singularly inefficient anyway (IMHO) and this just makes is worse... Sheesh. We'll see how it goes in 8 days when we leave again. Bummer.
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
    We fly internationally from Orlando 4-5 times a year and this was a brand new process, set up on a smaller scale but with the same process and equipment as the one for outbound passengers from the airport.

We were confused as well and questioned this new area and delay - and I also questioned why. The answer was not helpful at all and I was told I could either check my bag and get it at baggage claim or lose the vanilla. No explanation was given.

I agree, this makes no sense at all. Check your bag where? To where? Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. I've never had to go through a TSA checkpoint when deplaning. If they wanted to make things better then spend the money making the baggage claim area a secure area.

We experienced that problem at MoBay airport. We had already checked our bags and were then told at the security checkpoint that our bottle of "Love Potion for 2" from our beach dinner could not be carried on. We had to leave it. I can't imagine putting a bottle like that in checked luggage. What are the chances it will get to your destination in one piece?
    The airports are cleaning up on free liquor from passengers!

In almost 30 trips to Jamaica I can say I am a bit confused by this situation. First, if I understand correctly ... are we talking about liquids you are trying to carry through TSA to the gates at MBJ or liquids you purchased after clearing TSA into the gate area?

If you are trying to carry liquids (booze or anything else) or Duty Free or not through TSA security... you cannot beyond the few ounces allowed in the quart sized bag. If you are saying thing you have been able to carry bottles of anything beyond those few ounces through security as carry-on in the past few years then someone was asleep at the switch. Bottle of liquid like described here of any kind cannot be carried on (beyond the 3-1-1- carry on rules).
    I am in no way saying anyone is misleading about anything here, but since liquids have not been allowed through TSA Security for many years not it's hard to believe that some of you have been allowed to do so. Every security I have gone through since 2001 mandated no bottles of anything beyond 3-1-1 be carried through. This part of the liquids rule has no bearing on if you have a connecting flight or not. Very strange.

If you are talking about stuff purchased after you have checked your luggage and gone through security... where are they stopping you in the gate area and how in the world can they ask you to put it in your checked luggage when you had to do that before you even bought the liquid in the secure area around the gates?

As I said... the rules are clear but it sounds like MBJ has allowed some folks to carry booze and such through illegally at times ? I would love to hear more about this situation since I really don't think I understand what actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon0510 View Post
    We experienced that problem at MoBay airport. We had already checked our bags and were then told at the security checkpoint that our bottle of "Love Potion for 2" from our beach dinner could not be carried on. We had to leave it. I can't imagine putting a bottle like that in checked luggage. What are the chances it will get to your destination in one piece?
    The airports are cleaning up on free liquor from passengers!

That is not a new issue. Any liquids not purchased in the secure area of the airport cannot be carried on the plane since 9/11. OK, more specifically they would have to meet the three ounce rule, be in the zip lock bag that whole thing. If this was from your beach dinner it wasn't getting on that plane, if you've managed it before it was a fluke (I assume this is larger than the minimum allowed?). Open containers for sure aren't making it past security so that may have been a consideration...for instance if you purchase a bottle or cup of soda before the security area then when you go through security it's going in the trash.

One thing I did notice was that they were far more strict on this liquid thing in Jamaica. The ONLY liquid we had was one of those tiny bottles of alcohol hand gel. I've carried this thing on many flights and never put it in a zip lock if it was my only liquid...pretty clear it meets the requirement. Man were they MAAAAD when I put that thing in the bin and ran it through the scanner! I always take it out and lay it in the bin with my purse or carry-on so they can see it but I've never been required to have it in a zip lock. This gal was mad that I didn't have a zip lock for it, she took the bottle and kept it and made no bones about the fact that I was wholly in the wrong! I just laughed...inside.

Actually, I had heard that this was happening at other airports around the country years ago. I don't know the rationale, but the rule at some airports is that you must pack your spirits/alcohol purchase just to get the stuff out of the airport.

Sounds quirky... but there it is... it really isn't new.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Also, be sure to actually take the time to find out the rules for bringing alcohol into your STATE. Most research I had done in the past led me to believe that the limit was two bottles per person - BUT rum cream was unlimited due to its low alcohol content. So... since we had our first direct flight home this year we stocked up. Four big bottles each of rum cream, one smaller bottle for friends, and one bottle of Appleton. Guess what? When trying to clear customs we got directed to the "special" line. We found out the hard way that Texas law supersedes federal law. Returning residents are allowed ONE bottle of liquor, regardless of alcohol content. Fortunately the customs guy was in a good mood and let us keep all 10 bottles, but that could have been a costly mistake.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Actually, I had heard that this was happening at other airports around the country years ago. I don't know the rationale, but the rule at some airports is that you must pack your spirits/alcohol purchase just to get the stuff out of the airport.

Sounds quirky... but there it is... it really isn't new.
    I've been flying non-stops from Jamaica since 1988, with a US port of entry of either Chicago or Milwaukee, and in those 22 years I have never had a problem bringing my unchecked rum purchases in. So I have to disagree with the statement that this is not new. It's certainly new around here! Maybe they're just more understanding about drinking up here in the frigid North.

To be clear.....purchases made AFTER clearing customs in MoBay, and AFTER checking your bags(if any)....made at the duty free area..were fine to board the plane with..but after arrival at our U.S. destination in the PAST we were only required to pack this liquor in a bag to BE CHECKED if making a connecting flight....This time it was required by ALL whether moving on, or just WALKING out of the airport....It's something to take into consideration if you are going to purchase liquor to take home...looks like it would be best to PLAN on having enough room in one of your bags...WHETHER OR NOT you do carry-on only.

We just flew home to Houston yesterday with Rum Cream purchased at Duty free and did not have an issue upon arrival.

Iriemon...

I, too have flown into MKE, DTW, MSP, ORD, ATL ... and have not run into this. But some have reported this in the past... They get to their home airport as their first port of call in the states, and are told that the stuff goes into check bags... I'm not saying its happened in any of the airports we've mentioned in this thread... Just sayin' that there have been a few reports of airports where it has been the policy.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default The process is airport specific...

Having flown through a number of international gateways (and some that aren’t) the security set up at each facility dictates the procedures. For example, in Atlanta the TSA checkpoint is after Customs and Immigration but still in the main facility and EVERYONE must go through it regardless of having a connection or final destination being Atlanta. Therefore, all liquids over 3oz. must go in the checked bags. There is a separate conveyor for Atlanta passengers that deliver the bags to baggage claim. At JFK and O’Hare after you collect your bags and go through Customs and Immigration at the International terminal you “re-check” your bags if you have a connection. You then re-enter via a TSA checkpoint in another facility, so those not making connections aren’t affected. They have their suitcases and boxes from Sunshine Liquors and are on their way home. But if you are making a connection, you still need to put your liquids over 3oz. in your checked luggage before you “re-check”, and then head over to make your connection.

In Milwaukee and Raleigh, after you clear customs you do not go through another TSA checkpoint, you grab your bags and head out the door. Not a lot of connecting traffic using MKE and RDU. If you do connect in an airport like MKE or RDU, you have to go back to the airline check in counter as if you were originating there and do the regular check in thing with your over 3 oz. liquids in your checked bag.

After Orlando's remodeling, given the increasing number of connecting flights that use MCO, they now have a similar process to Atlanta. I don’t think the Orlando Airport Authority was too concerned about inconveniencing the local travelers when they designed the remodeled facility for more seamless connections. A pain but now a reality courtesy of the terrorist cowards that have infected the planet.

Essentially, if you use an airport that has more of an integrated process like ATL and MCO, you’ll be putting all the liquids over 3oz in a checked bag, regardless of your final destination. Don’t be surprised if you see it coming to a gateway airport near you as it is touted as a security enhancement.

So it's like ATL now? I get why they have it set up that way there but I wonder why they changed it to be like that when it wasn't necessary due to the layout of the airport.

The rule is, when you exit customs and are outside the secure part of the airport you can carry with you.

If you are at a airport like Atlanta or Orlando, when you exit customs you are still in the secure part of the airport and liquids over 1 oz are not allowed.

This is just the way it is, and has been this way for years.
    Irie Mon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast